Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things to do in Duluth

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    @ Duluth Grill

    Nobody mentioned that Guy Fieri had been here!

    Bring on the Dakota Dip! (insert Sioux poster joke here)
    He also visited At Sarah's Table very near where I lived junior year. It was funny seeing his red car parked outside our yard while filming.
    tUMD Hockey

    "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Things to do in Duluth

      Just curious, anyone ever done the inline marathon in Duluth? I'm thinking about doing it next year (too late to get in shape for this year's). Good time, or not?

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Things to do in Duluth

        Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        @ Duluth Grill

        Nobody mentioned that Guy Fieri had been here!
        Just assumed a know-it-all like you......

        Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


        And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

        ~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          He also visited At Sarah's Table very near where I lived junior year. It was funny seeing his red car parked outside our yard while filming.
          The Triple D Duluth visits are as follows:
          Gordy's Hi-Hat (Cloquet)
          Duluth Grill
          Northern Waters Smokehaus
          At Sarah's Table/Chester Creek Cafe (same place)
          Anchor Bar (Superior-was a "viewers choice," so Guy didn't go)

          Betty's Pies and a couple places in Grand Marais were featured on Weird Foods with Andrew Zimmern. (as I mentioned earlier, I recommend the Rustic Inn in Castle Danger over Betty's Pies)
          SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
          UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
          Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
          Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
          UMD Football: 2008, 2010
          UMD Men: 2011

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Things to do in Duluth

            Speaking of places owned by the Brewhouse guys...at Burrito Union right now waiting for a two-fisted Baltic with pineapple habenero salsa! Pumped!
            SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
            UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
            Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
            Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
            UMD Football: 2008, 2010
            UMD Men: 2011

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Things to do in Duluth

              So, did the Duluth Grill, Sammy's and Mexico Lindo. Sammy's was the best meal of the trip. Either it's great pizza or we were just primed after a long day at the beach(es). I think it was both.

              Hit Portland Malt Shop tonight after dinner.

              Spirit Mountain was fun and Enger park was cool.

              Never really explored Duluth much when we were here in the past. Always just passing through on our way to the BWCAW. Would only spend a night and hang out in the obvious spots like Canal Park and the beach down there.

              Thanks for the suggestions all!

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Things to do in Duluth

                Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Just curious, anyone ever done the inline marathon in Duluth? I'm thinking about doing it next year (too late to get in shape for this year's). Good time, or not?
                My buddy has done it (won his age class for amateurs) and he really likes it.

                We are heading up to Silver Bay this Friday for a few days. Hope to wet a line somewhere with goldy Jr. Bringing the bikes for the Githchi Gummi trail.
                Last edited by goldy_331; 08-26-2012, 01:57 PM.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                  Speaking of places owned by the Brewhouse guys...at Burrito Union right now waiting for a two-fisted Baltic with pineapple habenero salsa! Pumped!
                  Love that place. Although I'm sad they cut the fried potatoes from their breakfast Burritos. Not as good then.




                  Glad to see Gurth enjoyed our suggestions. Duluth rules
                  tUMD Hockey

                  "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Things to do in Duluth

                    Originally posted by HumRsky View Post

                    Betty's Pies and a couple places in Grand Marais were featured on Weird Foods with Andrew Zimmern. (as I mentioned earlier, I recommend the Rustic Inn in Castle Danger over Betty's Pies)
                    And thank you for that! We stopped at Rustic Inn yesterday on our way back from Silver Bay and it was great. My wife, son and I all have to avoid gluten and they were very accommodating to that, including having 4 pie choices that are gluten free! They bake a meringue crust for some of their cream pies and it is wonderful.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                      And thank you for that! We stopped at Rustic Inn yesterday on our way back from Silver Bay and it was great. My wife, son and I all have to avoid gluten and they were very accommodating to that, including having 4 pie choices that are gluten free! They bake a meringue crust for some of their cream pies and it is wonderful.
                      Glad I could help! I almost always get cream pies there, that crust is amazing!
                      SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                      UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                      Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                      Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                      UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                      UMD Men: 2011

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                        Glad I could help! I almost always get cream pies there, that crust is amazing!
                        We also went to the Lemon Wolf in Beaver Bay and the original lodge on the shore at Lutson and had great meals at each of them.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Things to do in Duluth

                          Any suggestions for places to eat in Grand Marais and or Thunder Bay? I haven't been that far up the shore since I was a kid and I'm going this weekend. Super excited!
                          tUMD Hockey

                          "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Things to do in Duluth

                            Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Any suggestions for places to eat in Grand Marais and or Thunder Bay? I haven't been that far up the shore since I was a kid and I'm going this weekend. Super excited!
                            The Dockside Fish Market, in Grand Marais! FanTAStic fish and chips. You pick the fish, too, so make sure you get something right out of Lake Superior, like herring; don't get cod or something flown in. It's a deli, too, so it's casual.
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Things to do near Grand Marais

                              Used northshorevisitor.com to recover some distant memories from the Grand Marais area. Hope these places have maintained quality; I'm guessing they have. None are actually in Grand Marais, but I think all are within half an hour on Highway 61. Moving from south to north:

                              Bluefin Grille Tofte 218-663-6200 Local Fish, Burgers, Desserts. Website says fine dining in a casual atmosphere; that pretty much matches my memory.

                              Lutsen Resort Main Lodge Lutsen 218-663-7212 As mentioned by goldy331. Scandinavian-style Ski Lodge. Maybe the Sunday Brunch on the way back?

                              Cascade Lodge Adjacent to Cascade River State Park 218-387-2911 "North Shore decor with a large stone fireplace." Did a soups and sandwiches lunch there. A XC Ski HQ in the winter months.

                              Naniboujou Lodge Brule River near Grand Portage 218-387-2401 "Historic 1920's lodge with amazing Native American decor." Supposedly Babe Ruth and other 1920's celebs were among the early guests. (owners?)

                              The general idea is that any of these of places would be a great lunch on the way up to or back from Thunder Bay. All four are also Breakfast and Dinner options. I have been to Thunder Bay, but only a couple of times and those memories are just too vague and ancient.
                              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 09-18-2012, 02:01 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Things to do near Grand Marais

                                Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Used northshorevisitor.com to recover some distant memories from the Grand Marais area. Hope these places have maintained quality; I'm guessing they have. None are actually in Grand Marais, but I think all are within half an hour on Highway 61. Moving from south to north:

                                Naniboujou Lodge Brule River near Grand Portage 218-387-2401 "Historic 1920's lodge with amazing Native American decor." Supposedly Babe Ruth and other 1920's celebs were among the early guests. (owners?)
                                My folks really enjoyed Naniboujou for both the food and the lodge itself - probably worth it just to stop in and see the place.
                                Last edited by Beer Pong Horn; 09-18-2012, 11:55 AM. Reason: can't spell "food"
                                Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

                                Originally posted by The Darkness:
                                I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.


                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                                Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.


                                Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X