Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things to do in Duluth

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
    As featured in Triple D, I have not yet been but my Duluth relatives have raved about it.

The drive on old Hwy 61 between Duluth & Two Harbors is tremendous, and here's another great stop in Two Harbors if you're feeling tacky and abrasive. Don't tell my boss(es) I haven't been there yet, hopefully it is required for employment.....lol.
    The "Honka Tree" (that's the name I learned) on that highway is long gone, though. That tree was a landmark, IMO.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

All you need to know about Duluth.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

This is true because science.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Go to Grandma's and get drunk. That's all I do when I'm up there.
          St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

As opposed to Superior:

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
            Get drunk and go do grandmas. That's all I do when I'm up there.
            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

That's the next stop on bbdl's debauchery train: GILFs.
              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Except the Anchor Bar is over there.
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                  The cartoon lion who sounds like Bleeding Gums Murphey says one mustn't' go there.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                  And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                  Twenty red lights in his honor
                  Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I hear from the UMD fans that the bathhouse place is pretty nice.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                      True story. I believe the place has become even busier with its Diner's, Dives and Drive In's fame.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      I hear from the UMD fans that the bathhouse place is pretty nice.
                      After we told you about it, you go every time tech is there

I recommend: Duluth Grill (A MUST), Uncle Louis Cafe (for huge portions for breakfast), Mexico Lindo, Pizza Luce (not Duluth specific but still good), Sammy's Pizza, Coney Island (my dad always took me there) and the Portland Malt Shop for some ice cream.

If you go to Two Harbors you have to drive the few more miles to Gooseberry Falls State Park (it is a North Shore tradition). Just keep your kids close and don't let them get too close to the edges. You can even hike down to the Lake and look at the Agate Beach.

Enger Tower has a great view of the whole city. Chester Creek Park and Lester River Park have the falls and rapids you are looking for within Duluth. Hawk Ridge is where you an see some nerdy bird watchers and cool birds.

As for shopping there is the spread out downtown area and the Dewitt Sietz Building in Canal Park has some interesting shops that your wife might like.

That's all I can think of for now...
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        True story. I believe the place has become even busier with its Diner's, Dives and Drive In's fame.

I recommend: Duluth Grill (A MUST), Uncle Louis Cafe (for huge portions for breakfast), Mexico Lindo, Pizza Luce (not Duluth specific but still good), Sammy's Pizza, Coney Island (my dad always took me there) and the Portland Malt Shop for some ice cream.
                        Those are all good place and I also highly recommend both Northern Water's Smokehaus and the Brewhouse. Even though the street is seedier, "Deluxe Coney Island" on 1st street is WAY better than "Original Coney Island" on Superior St. If you're into Triple D, Gordy's Hi-Hat in Cloquet and At Sarah's Table/Chester Creek Cafe near UMD were also featured.

Recently went on a trip up the shore and Sugarloaf Cove has a beautiful beach, although also probably a bit farther than you want to go. If you head up to Gooseberry, eat at the Rustic Inn in Castle Danger. Great food and better pies than Betty's/
                        SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                        UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                        Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                        Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                        UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                        UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post

If you go to Two Harbors you have to drive the few more miles to Gooseberry Falls State Park (it is a North Shore tradition). Just keep your kids close and don't let them get too close to the edges. You can even hike down to the Lake and look at the Agate Beach.

Enger Tower has a great view of the whole city. Chester Creek Park and Lester River Park have the falls and rapids you are looking for within Duluth. Hawk Ridge is where you an see some nerdy bird watchers and cool birds.

As for shopping there is the spread out downtown area and the Dewitt Sietz Building in Canal Park has some interesting shops that your wife might like.

That's all I can think of for now...
                          Is Uncle Louie's that dive-diner-type place? It has booths pretty much just on one side of the place, and the counter on the other? If so, so much YES. The omelettes are awesome.

And the Anchor Bar is overrated. I wasn't expecting a WHOLE lot, but it still was very meh. Frankly, it was just another check-off of the DDD list.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

And the Anchor Bar is overrated. I wasn't expecting a WHOLE lot, but it still was very meh. Frankly, it was just another check-off of the DDD list.
                            You must have gone on a bad day ( which happens), but I have had the best burgers of my life there, and I've had a lot of burgers.
                            SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                            UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                            Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                            Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                            UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                            UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                              You must have gone on a bad day ( which happens), but I have had the best burgers of my life there, and I've had a lot of burgers.
                              I don't mean to sound like the burgers were terrible, they just didn't set themselves apart from other places I've had. That's all.

Comment

@ Duluth Grill

Nobody mentioned that Guy Fieri had been here!

Bring on the Dakota Dip! (insert Sioux poster joke here)

Comment

Working...
                                X