X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    It's pouring at the ballpark now.

Had they started this game, there's no way they could have finished it.

This also takes CC out of any potential Game 7 start.
    I was at the game. it of course did not start. however at 10 30 it was a drizzle not pouring, I don't know who told you that, but it was untrue. They could have easily played the game.

However when was the last time a game was cancelled due to a forecast. A forecast, I might add that was the same at noon. if it was going to be cancelled due to a forecast, do me a favor and do it at 5 pm so I don't go down and spend a bunch of money to watch nothing. Why keep me there until 9 30 at night before you say, oh well it's postponed to preserve integrity of a 9 inning game. Give me a break. it was postponed because the yanks wanted more rest for cc, had no one else if it was interrupted, and because it's in the media's financial interest to get another game into this series.

We all stood there in disbelief waiting for joe torre to make his decision, and waited over 2 hours looking at a perfectly good baseball field, before it started to drizzle. We played in a drizzle on tuesday for the last two innings, but I guess it's different in game 4. If you ask me the yanks were pushing for the game to be delayed. I finally left downtown around 10 45 and it was barely raining at all.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      I was at the game. it of course did not start. however at 10 30 it was a drizzle not pouring, I don't know who told you that, but it was untrue. They could have easily played the game.

However when was the last time a game was cancelled due to a forecast. A forecast, I might add that was the same at noon. if it was going to be cancelled due to a forecast, do me a favor and do it at 5 pm so I don't go down and spend a bunch of money to watch nothing. Why keep me there until 9 30 at night before you say, oh well it's postponed to preserve integrity of a 9 inning game. Give me a break. it was postponed because the yanks wanted more rest for cc, had no one else if it was interrupted, and because it's in the media's financial interest to get another game into this series.

We all stood there in disbelief waiting for joe torre to make his decision, and waited over 2 hours looking at a perfectly good baseball field, before it started to drizzle. We played in a drizzle on tuesday for the last two innings, but I guess it's different in game 4. If you ask me the yanks were pushing for the game to be delayed. I finally left downtown around 10 45 and it was barely raining at all.
      I think the fear was, the game could start on time, not be delayed for a hour or two, then get stopped due to a *chance* of heavy rain in say the 6th or 7th inning. It would have been a lengthy delay ( I had heavy rain at my house in the western suburbs around 10:30-11 pm) and the starters, if still pitching, would not have been able to return. MLB wants to give both teams the same fair opportunities to not only have all of their roster available, but for the game to be played in its entirety on the same day it is started. Nothing like restarting a game at 1:30 a.m. and ending it at ? in front of a sparse crowd and an even lower tv audience. It also could be a clinching game, so that wouldn't be fair to Tigers fans, either. It's still a business, remember.

What this does now actually works in the Tigers favor since the Yankees ace probably cannnot come back on 2 days rest (since a 5th game in Friday).

An argument can be made that the fans got screwed because of gas, parking and concessions costs that cannot be recouped. But, for the benefit of integrity, the powers at MLB made the call. I know there are many fans that traveled a long way to come to the game that can't come back today. This is the risk accepted when purchasing a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        However when was the last time a game was cancelled due to a forecast.
        I guess it's been happening more (I forgot it happened in Texas last year) where they will postpone a playoff game if there's a chance of rain, in the interest of preserving the continuous nine innings. It's a drag if you were there to see the game and it never actually rained hard last night during game time. But on the bright side I believe will favor the Tigers.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

They did not postpone the NL series-and the forecast was not good there either. I think the rain delay they had in the bottom of the seventh was 3 and 1/2 hours (longer than the 3 hours they played). Not sure i understand the discrepancy between the leagues and the games being played or not. If they were able to play in STL I would think if they wanted to they could have played in Detroit. Perhaps it has something to due with times the games started and the TV audience concerns and ratings???
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Well, the Yankees do have a lot of influence and their playoff lives depend on CC getting a win. They were screwed either way matchup-wise (since they chose not to pitch him in game 3), but probably wanted to make sure he didn't end up pitching two innings and then being shot for 4 days, hence the postponement.
            I'm pretty sure the Tigers would have voted for going ahead with the game as scheduled and taking their chances.

I am so ready for this thing to get started. GO TIGERS
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              I think the fear was, the game could start on time, not be delayed for a hour or two, then get stopped due to a *chance* of heavy rain in say the 6th or 7th inning. It would have been a lengthy delay ( I had heavy rain at my house in the western suburbs around 10:30-11 pm) and the starters, if still pitching, would not have been able to return. MLB wants to give both teams the same fair opportunities to not only have all of their roster available, but for the game to be played in its entirety on the same day it is started. Nothing like restarting a game at 1:30 a.m. and ending it at ? in front of a sparse crowd and an even lower tv audience. It also could be a clinching game, so that wouldn't be fair to Tigers fans, either. It's still a business, remember.

What this does now actually works in the Tigers favor since the Yankees ace probably cannnot come back on 2 days rest (since a 5th game in Friday).

An argument can be made that the fans got screwed because of gas, parking and concessions costs that cannot be recouped. But, for the benefit of integrity, the powers at MLB made the call. I know there are many fans that traveled a long way to come to the game that can't come back today. This is the risk accepted when purchasing a ticket.
              This happened in the 2004 ALCS as well. My brother and I had tickets to Game 3 Sox and Yankees. Game 4 was Saturday and Game 5 was Sunday. It was cold, raw, raining (but not too hard). Got in the ballpark, tarp was on. No other information. They announced the cancellation on TV before they announced it to those of us at Fenway - my sister-in-law called us to tell us. Thankfully we got our money back on parking. I was more annoyed that I couldn't go to Game 3 on Saturday. They said if you had tickets to Game 4 on Saturday, use them for the New Game 3. People with tickets to Game 5 - which was an "if necessary" game - now had Game 4 tickets and if you had tickets for the rained out Game 3, those tickets would be honored at Game 5, if it happened. That was annoying. Especially because I had a trip to Vegas that left on Sunday, so I was totally screwed out of going. Thankfully the unthinkable occurred and I was able to go to the World Series. On my birthday weekend. Bloody sock game............sigh.........memories.

Oh, and Go Giants!!!!

You get that last comment, right????

Comment

Closet Cards fan, eh?

Near certainty that I don't see a majority of this game. Home from the office at 5:30, hockey game at 7 where I'm working either penalty box or goal judge. You know where the Homer Light is, and the rest of the toys, too.
                Last edited by Hammer; 10-18-2012, 01:53 PM.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

How soon you guys forget last year between the two of us over in NY. The first game at NY got postponed, the makeup almost did, and the second game that got pushed back had rain delays as well I believe. Luckily I had planned on being at all the games with my sister, so it didn't cost us any more, but instead of leaving the morning after the originally scheduled second game, we left directly after the last night game and drove 6 hours, getting home around 3am.

Comment

Delmon is a stud.

Comment

Closet Cards fan, eh?

Near certainty that I don't see a majority of this game. Home from the office at 5:30, hockey game at 7 where I'm working either penalty box or goal judge. You know where the Homer Light is, and the rest of the toys, too.
                      Who's playing (at Arrington??)?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It would appear from the little mlb.com game tracker that Max is on his game today, 4 Ks in the first two innings and no hits. Would have been nice if Peralta kept it going in the first, but we'll have more chances.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Who's playing (at Arrington??)?
                          ACHA vs. Minot St.

God, that was fun...

Comment

ACHA vs. Minot St.
                            Beat the Beavers!!
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I think we got the bare minimum there. We couldn't come away with nothing after the way the Yankees fielded the ball there.

2-0 thru 3.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Captain Cheeseburger at 73 pitches through 3.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X