Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Streaker

    You left off the Expos/Nationals.

    Also, I think when Senators I left for Minnesota and Senators 2 came in as an expansion team, the records stayed in DC. Those records went to Texas when they left town after 1972.
    Thanks for the correction- I was doing this at work and was toggling between sites. I completely forgot about the Expos, egregiously, as the other team not to be in the World Series with the Seattle Mariners (who also never made it as the 1969 "Pilots" franchise, but are also part of the Brewers record.) Being that the Nationals were one strike away in this postseason, I should have remembered them, too. My apologies.

    The information I used associated Senators (I) with the Twins and carried over their records. Senators (2) became a "new" franchise, which technically never made a series, then got transplanted as the Rangers. So, yes, I considered them.

    Comment


    • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

      Who will be #5
      Mickey Stanley?
      Jim Northrup?
      Gates Brown?
      Willie Horton?
      Mickey Lolich?
      Denny McLain?
      Earl Wilson?
      or the unforgettable Joe Sparma?

      Hey, I liked the 68 team, since they beat the hated Cardinals who beat my beloved Red Sox the previous year.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

      ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

      Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

      I want to live forever. So far, so good.

      Comment


      • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

        Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Who will be #5
        Mickey Stanley?
        Jim Northrup?
        Gates Brown?
        Willie Horton?
        Mickey Lolich?
        Denny McLain?
        Earl Wilson?
        or the unforgettable Joe Sparma?

        Hey, I liked the 68 team, since they beat the hated Cardinals who beat my beloved Red Sox the previous year.
        Actually Hammer is using uniform numbers. Jim Northrup wore #5 IIRC. The most famous #5 IMO would be Hank Greenberg The Tigers had the number retired in 1983.
        Last edited by streaker; 10-20-2012, 11:40 AM.

        Comment


        • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

          Originally posted by streaker View Post
          The information I used associated Senators (I) with the Twins and carried over their records. Senators (2) became a "new" franchise, which technically never made a series, then got transplanted as the Rangers. So, yes, I considered them.
          Sorry to jump off-topic but I've always thought the Twins have failed in not honoring accomplishments of the franchises' pre-MN days. In particular, the fact Walter Johnson's impact on the game is not celebrated in any MLB park* is a crime. The Twins should retire his number.....if MLB would allow.

          *maybe the Nats have & I'm not aware.

          Good luck in the series, would love to see another AL Central team win it!

          Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


          And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

          ~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

          Comment


          • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

            Originally posted by streaker View Post
            Actually Hammer is using uniform numbers. Jim Northrup wore #5 IIRC. The most famous #5 IMO would be Hank Greenberg The Tigers had the number retired in 1983.
            It's pretty obvious who #5 (and #6, for that matter) will be. I have to make sure I have my list for when we get to #7. I think I've got the first 50 laid out.

            EDIT: I found the list. The next one that will throw people through a loop will be #8.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


            God, that was fun...

            Comment


            • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

              Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
              Sorry to jump off-topic but I've always thought the Twins have failed in not honoring accomplishments of the franchises' pre-MN days. In particular, the fact Walter Johnson's impact on the game is not celebrated in any MLB park* is a crime. The Twins should retire his number.....if MLB would allow.

              *maybe the Nats have & I'm not aware.

              Good luck in the series, would love to see another AL Central team win it!
              I completely agree about Walter Johnson.

              Thanks for the well wishes... the team appears to have shown their total potential in the Yankee series, especially game 4. Hope the time off doesn't stop that.

              Comment


              • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

                Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                It's pretty obvious who #5 (and #6, for that matter) will be. I have to make sure I have my list for when we get to #7. I think I've got the first 50 laid out.

                EDIT: I found the list. The next one that will throw people through a loop will be #8.
                Yeah, I'll have to investigate that one.

                Comment


                • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

                  Oh, I expect that you'll find it pretty quickly.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


                  God, that was fun...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Oh, I expect that you'll find it pretty quickly.
                    All I'm going to say for number 15 is you wouldn't dare!!!
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

                    It just happens.


                    nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

                    leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

                    Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

                    Comment


                    • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

                      Dirks in RF and twinkle toes Young in LF in the NL stadium games. Looks like Leyland is leaving Boesch off the roster again, and no changes to the pitchers.
                      I'd lean towards Berry in LF myself, but I am more apt to play for a run instead of a big inning in their park.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

                        Valverde gives up two singles, a walk, and only gets two outs before hitting his pitch count in the Tigers scrimmage today. Time for Villareal to be on the WS roster.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

                        Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

                        Western College Hockey Blog

                        Comment


                        • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

                          Game 7 in the NL tonight. Who you got? And who do you want? And if the answer isn't the same, why?
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


                          God, that was fun...

                          Comment


                          • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

                            Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                            All I'm going to say for number 15 is you wouldn't dare!!!
                            No, but you're going to laugh like hell when you see who it is. There's a couple like that on here.
                            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


                            God, that was fun...

                            Comment


                            • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

                              Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              Game 7 in the NL tonight. Who you got? And who do you want? And if the answer isn't the same, why?
                              Giants for two reasons: boss is a Giants fan, and I want no part of the 747-sized horseshoe that has been surgically implanted in the Cardinals' collective asses.

                              That said, I think the Cards win it precisely because of said horseshoe. This is exactly what they do.
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 4: The Rudy York edition

                                I've got to believe that at some point, midnight strikes for the Cards. And in a short series, I want no part of Cain/Lincecum/Vogelsong, healthy Lincecum or otherwise. I can just imagine what they're going to do with our lineup once we get past Fielder.
                                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


                                God, that was fun...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X