Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama XXIV: Forward ... pause ... rewind ... play

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Someday you'll have to explain all the conservatism in two unfunded wars, an unfunded entitlement, and the nationalization of education. I'm sure it all just screams conservative values to you.
    Silly. It was conservative because they didn't pay for any of it. That's what makes the GOP "fiscally responsible."
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Silly. It was conservative because they didn't pay for any of it. That's what makes the GOP "fiscally responsible."
      Vietnam or Korea weren't funded either. Would you have bought War Bonds in 1950, 1965, 1991, or 2002??
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Laffer was right. You saw the long-term effects of lowering unit rates take effect, at least until Nancy Pelosi started pushing all the commie bull-scheiße and letting the country tank.

Who is Frank Marshall Davis?

Comment

One of the biggest things to understand about Americans and spending is that they are very driven by UNIT PRICE, not the bottom line. Why do you think people shop at warehouses like Sam's Club or BJ's? Better unit prices (or at least they used to be). If you bring down the unit price, people are willing to buy more. Sure, you could buy the 8 oz. cup of cream cheese, but why do so when you get three times as much for only two times the price?

That's why the Laffer curve, as much as you want to disdain it with terms such as "voodoo", works. If you bring down the unit price, people will buy. Obviously don't bring it down too much, because you won't be able to generate enough revenue. As those mathematically inclined would say, it's a parabola.

Comment

Someday you'll have to explain all the conservatism in two unfunded wars, an unfunded entitlement, and the nationalization of education. I'm sure it all just screams conservative values to you.
            You're assuming that Bush was a good conservative. He failed in many important areas, though not all. And of course there's the detail that the unfunded entitlement was very much a bipartisan project as was at least initial support for the wars.
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
              You're assuming that Bush was a good conservative. He failed in many important areas, though not all. And of course there's the detail that the unfunded entitlement was very much a bipartisan project as was at least initial support for the wars.
              Democrats wanted to fund the entitlement. They actually believe raising taxes is part of their job. The war support came about because of a lie. One day we'll know the truth of that lie.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Democrats wanted to fund the entitlement. They actually believe raising taxes is part of their job. The war support came about because of a lie. One day we'll know the truth of that lie.
                I don't recall much discussion about paying for the entitlement at the time, though it's been a good while now, so my recollections on that could be off. If you're right, I give credit to the Dems for at least trying to match new spending commitments with some amount of matching revenue, though I highly doubt they'd have fully funded it with revenue, as that almost never happens at the federal level, regardless of who is in power.
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Interesting how most of the media is avoiding reporting on the shooting of a security guard at the Washington D.C. office of the Family Research Council by a gay rights supporter. Flip those around, and you'd have constant headlines for a week.
                  Very well, said.
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Interesting how most of the media is avoiding reporting on the shooting of a security guard at the Washington D.C. office of the Family Research Council by a gay rights supporter. Flip those around, and you'd have constant headlines for a week.
                    SSSSSSSSSsssssshhhhhhhh. they're pro-lifers.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

An article about how Chris Matthews, who linked Palin and Bachmann to the shooting of Rep. Gifford, was remaining silent: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-w...shooting-conse

Also, for those interested: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/1...in-arm-in.html

Supposedly, his bag contained 15 Chick-Fil-A sandwiches.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        One thing to truly address: Only about 52% of the country (at least those eligible) actually pay income taxes. A number of the people griping about the rich "paying their fair share" don't even pay income taxes. If that isn't greed, then I don't know what is.

WE ARE THE 52%, AND WE DEMAND THE 48% PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE!
                        Everyone should pay, how much they should pay is another issue.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Here is hoping he doesnt see the light of day til he is too old to care about it.

I wonder what your opinion would be if they flipped and he did it because "God told him too"
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Here is hoping he doesnt see the light of day til he is too old to care about it.

I wonder what your opinion would be if they flipped and he did it because "God told him too"
                            You need to pick which smiley to use. A roll eyes and a wink don't go together well.

I would condemn it going either way. We'd just hear about it ad nauseum from the media if it was going the other way. Such violence is in no way justified, regardless of how much one disagrees with one's opponents on such an issue.

Maybe you forget that I oppose the death penalty also, as to me I always try to look at life-related issues in a way that values the life involved.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

surprise, surprise. General Motors is on the verge of bankruptcy (but wait, you say, didn't Barry make market forces illegal by fiat and/or executive whim? How could this be? Never mind - this isn't for you) Now my question is do we bail it out again? And again? And again? etc etc. or should we allow the dust to settle this time? How far into debt are we willing to go to buy a few union bosses one more hunting cabin in Colorado?
                              This is a non-partisan debate. There were just as many Repubs as Dems willing to sell our soul to the union the first time around.

And others here are more expert on this than me, but I believe that when Barry runs around yelling about how GM is taking off like a rocket and headed for the moon and is in wonderful financial shape because of his bailout, even while he's sitting on a huge pile of shares that he supposedly wants to sell on the upswing, he could be locked up for a crime commonly referred to as "pump & dump". It's a sick situation when you have the nation's executive so heavily interested in which of several competitors do well. I don't mind saying, it's un-American.
                              Last edited by geezer; 08-16-2012, 12:02 PM.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Is crazy Uncle Joe done?

10:15AM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT receive the Presidential Daily Briefing

Oval Office

Closed Press

10:45AM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT meet with Secretary of State Clinton

Oval Office

Closed Press

12:30PM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT meet for lunch

Private Dining Room

Closed Press
                                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                                X