Obama XXIV: Forward ... pause ... rewind ... play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama XXIV: Forward ... pause ... rewind ... play

I'm always amused by knuckledraggers when they start on their "feds should have no role in education" idiocy. Look people, that ship has already sailed so like a lot of other things kindly join the 21st century along with the rest of us. The reason why the feds have to enforce standards is because in many a conservative rural area (think Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, or Texas) kids aren't taught properly and you can't depend on the local yokels who consider science to be a dirty word to do so. Much like you can't segregate nor fund different school districts differently, something that was happening a few generations ago. As I often say, this is yet another conservative idea with no practical application in the real world.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      I'm always amused by knuckledraggers when they start on their "feds should have no role in education" idiocy. Look people, that ship has already sailed so like a lot of other things kindly join the 21st century along with the rest of us. The reason why the feds have to enforce standards is because in many a conservative rural area (think Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, or Texas) kids aren't taught properly and you can't depend on the local yokels who consider science to be a dirty word to do so. Much like you can't segregate nor fund different school districts differently, something that was happening a few generations ago. As I often say, this is yet another conservative idea with no practical application in the real world.
      They shouldn't.

The reason Education is so fubar right now is there is no competition among the states. There is a giant sucking sound for jobs to Texas right now. Think about how screwed up that is.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Federalism isn't "the new hotness". As Ancient Rome, the British empire, 20th century Russia, and present-day Europe have shown, it's "old and busted".
        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 09-24-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Federalism isn't "the new hotness". As Ancient Rome, the British empire, 20th century Russia, and present-day Europe have shown, it's "old and busted".
          A nonsensical answer that has nothing to do with the question at hand (feds role in education). Again, try to keep up, will ya, and if its too hard perhaps you'd consider posting on another thread?

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Maybe if we paid our workers what workers make in Malawi like you suggested last week, that would fix things. I hear they've got a great educational system.

For whatever you want to say about the education system, have there really been any serious complaints about curriculum other than the people that want wizard and fairy stuff taught instead of science?
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
              Maybe if we paid our workers what workers make in Malawi like you suggested last week, that would fix things. I hear they've got a great educational system.

For whatever you want to say about the education system, have there really been any serious complaints about curriculum other than the people that want wizard and fairy stuff taught instead of science?
              Exactly. For all the talk about central control being evil, there are plenty of places in the world where education IS handled solely at the local level, not the least of which Somalia which didn't have a federal govt for 20 years. According to Flaggy's hypothesis, Somalia should be leading the world in education then, followed by the jungle areas of the Amazon. Funny how the exact opposite is true.

Comment

Exactly. For all the talk about central control being evil, there are plenty of places in the world where education IS handled solely at the local level, not the least of which Somalia which didn't have a federal govt for 20 years. According to Flaggy's hypothesis, Somalia should be leading the world in education then, followed by the jungle areas of the Amazon. Funny how the exact opposite is true.
                OK smartass, what's my hypothesis? Go ahead and say it; I'll inform you of its accuracy (or potential lack thereof).

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  OK smartass, what's my hypothesis? Go ahead and say it; I'll inform you of its accuracy (or potential lack thereof).
                  Glad you asked! Your hypothesis is that if we only could get the federal gubmint out of education, they would stop enforcing certain standards of learning (and standardized testing). Once schools were totally under local control, they could get back to teaching fundamentalist principles with a biiiiig tilt towards conservative thought! So, science class would be replaced by some weird Creationalism studies, and history class would be replete with discussion of how Reagan single handedly won the Cold War, GWB was misunderstood and how brave righties stopped Kenyan born Prez Obama from handing over the US to the Islamists! I'll let you fill in the blanks as far as what Social Studies would be covering.

With no standards, no problem! Forget about being able to read the Classics - a few Ann Coulter books would suffice. When the Neo Conservative Kingdom on Earth is upon us, this knowledge will really come in handy after all!

How close did I get? I'm thinking 90% as you may choose to substitute Ayn Rand for Ann Coulter!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    They shouldn't.

The reason Education is so fubar right now is there is no competition among the states. There is a giant sucking sound for jobs to Texas right now. Think about how screwed up that is.
                    Huh? I know there's a competition for companies between Virginia and Maryland. If it's cheaper to operate in State X over State Y, companies should consider a move, if the relocation proves economical.

Or, would you have Uncle Sam regulate the migration of people within the United States?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Huh? I know there's a competition for companies between Virginia and Maryland. If it's cheaper to operate in State X over State Y, companies should consider a move, if the relocation proves economical.

Or, would you have Uncle Sam regulate the migration of people within the United States?
                      I think you missed my point. That's ok.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Two very interesting things about this endorsement of budget compromise from six senators.

First, it's a dire warning that sequestration will produce a hollow military, and as such, utter bullshit.

Second, it has three Republican senators going on record for raising taxes as part of the compromise, something you are not supposed to say as a Republican because BURN TEH WITCH!!!
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Glad you asked! Your hypothesis is that if we only could get the federal gubmint out of education, they would stop enforcing certain standards of learning (and standardized testing). Once schools were totally under local control, they could get back to teaching fundamentalist principles with a biiiiig tilt towards conservative thought! So, science class would be replaced by some weird Creationalism studies, and history class would be replete with discussion of how Reagan single handedly won the Cold War, GWB was misunderstood and how brave righties stopped Kenyan born Prez Obama from handing over the US to the Islamists! I'll let you fill in the blanks as far as what Social Studies would be covering.

With no standards, no problem! Forget about being able to read the Classics - a few Ann Coulter books would suffice. When the Neo Conservative Kingdom on Earth is upon us, this knowledge will really come in handy after all!

How close did I get? I'm thinking 90% as you may choose to substitute Ayn Rand for Ann Coulter!
                          Close enough to warrant an intervention. "This is your mind on drugs."
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Two very interesting things about this endorsement of budget compromise from six senators.

First, it's a dire warning that sequestration will produce a hollow military, and as such, utter bullshit.

Second, it has three Republican senators going on record for raising taxes as part of the compromise, something you are not supposed to say as a Republican because BURN TEH WITCH!!!
                            I heard something the other day about how "raising taxes has to be part of the conversation" coming out of a (R) senate leader's office. Legislative compromise will go a long way toward restoring my faith in humanity, along with Obama getting reelected and the Tea Partiers hosting a hoedown square dance and cookout with the Occupy people on the National Mall.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              Close enough to warrant an intervention. "This is your mind on drugs."
                              Pretty much. Not only was there no difference between history and social studies where I went to school (the FIRST state with standard final exams, mind you), but I see no mention of math anywhere, and the only science that is supposedly ever taught is biological from a standpoint of the history of living organisms.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Pretty much. Not only was there no difference between history and social studies where I went to school (the FIRST state with standard final exams, mind you), but I see no mention of math anywhere, and the only science that is supposedly ever taught is biological from a standpoint of the history of living organisms.
                                Years ago, "60 Minutes" did a segment on a textbook flap in Kanawah County, W. Virginia. And Morley admitted right up front of his prejudices going in. Turns out two books were of primary concern: one which offered instruction on how to file for unemployment, but was silent on the subject of looking for work. The other? A middle school reading book with a story about some boys collecting money to send a buddy to a whore house on his birthday. Morely (reluctantly?) had to admit the parents had a point.

The reflexive ease by which self-identified liberals smear millions of Americans.. .their bigotry and prejudice toward people of faith, "they're all morons," is really breath taking. And by now, shouldn't surprise anyone. Are there people out there whose points of view should never be permitted in a class room? Certainly. And not all of them are conservative Christians. Maybe not even most.

In the 80's the Southern Baptist Convention was roiled with doctrinal disagreements. The central concern was "biblical inerrancy," that every word in the Bible was literally true. That's a hard sell these days. Life long professors of theology at Baylor were driven out of the school. The head of the Convention announced publicly that "God does not hear the prayers of Jews." Not being particularly religous myself I wondered, wasn't Jesus a Jew? And didn't God speak to Moses quite a bit? And wasn't he a Jew? I found that whole discussion to be extreme.

However, the flip side view that anyone whose opinion is shaped by religious convictions (except Muslims, of course) is some sort of barking moonbat, is to exchange one bigotry for another. I did a half hour interview once with a life long Baptist professor of biology at the University of Houston. The guy was deeply torn by the battle within his denomination and spoke with sorrow about it. He had no difficulty reconciling his faith with science. And millions of Christians, even in the south, don't either.

I'm what you might call an orthodox Presbyterian, and I'm not attracted to nor generally impressed by, the more conservative denominatons. But I recall vividly that the Assemblies of God kicked Jimmy Swaggart to the curb (it wasn't as if he was doing anything wrong, cruising up and down the Airline Highway, wearing sweat pants with the crotch cut out, picking up whores). He had been donating a million a month to the central AofG organization, and had threatened to cut off the money if they punished him by setting him down for a year (as they had done with Jim Bakker). They did it anyway. Afterwards at a news conference, someone asked the lady spokesman whether they were concerned about Swaggart threatening legal action against the denomination. She replied "this is an ecclesiastical matter." Amen. Swaggart, of course, ended his affiliation with AofG, which left those earnest kids studying to be AofG ministers at Swaggart's "college" in Baton Rouge hanging. What did he care? He needed the old ladies to keep sending the money. His wife needed that 7 thousand dollar desk.

The point is, even people with whom I'm not generally in tune can do the right thing. They can also think the right thing, too. Their religious beliefs don't automatically disqualify their opinions. Anymore than the opinions of hard left, America-distrusting loons are automatically wrong.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM.
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X