Obama XXIV: Forward ... pause ... rewind ... play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama XXIV: Forward ... pause ... rewind ... play

Fathom the hypocrisy of a political faction that believes barriers to gun ownership are dangerous to democracy but barriers to voting are not.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Fathom the hypocrisy of a political faction that believes barriers to gun ownership are dangerous to democracy but barriers to voting are not.
      this is rhetorically misleading. Asking for ID isn't nearly the same as a "barrier to voting." It is, in fact, a barrier to fraud.

And it's not "hypocrisy." It's a difference in values.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Nobody is preventing anyone from not having insurance. If you don't want health insurance you don't have to get it.
        And you get penalized. But, I forgot, you're pro big government, so you like them mandating things to us.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          And you get penalized. But, I forgot, you're pro big government, so you like them mandating things to us.
          You get penalized on your taxes for not proving things all the time. I fail to see your point. If I don't want Health Insurance I don't need to have it. No ones going to throw me in jail for not having it. If I don't want to pay my taxes I need to find a new country to live in.

It's pro-big government for wanting people to pay their fair share into Health Care? Tell me, is it pro-big government for wanting to pay the bills? Cause we've all spent a lot of money.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You get penalized on your taxes for not proving things all the time. I fail to see your point. If I don't want Health Insurance I don't need to have it. No ones going to throw me in jail for not having it. If I don't want to pay my taxes I need to find a new country to live in.

It's pro-big government for wanting people to pay their fair share into Health Care? Tell me, is it pro-big government for wanting to pay the bills? Cause we've all spent a lot of money.
            Wow, that's quite a twist. You turn a government mandate that I buy insurance or I get penalized into simply wanting to pay bills. Of course the irony is that your president is wracking up bill he isn't paying at a pace like no president every has, even close. Glad you admit though that you like the government penalizing us in all sorts of ways.
            Very well, said.
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Wow, that's quite a twist. You turn a government mandate that I buy insurance or I get penalized into simply wanting to pay bills. Of course the irony is that your president is wracking up bill he isn't paying at a pace like no president every has, even close. Glad you admit though that you like the government penalizing us in all sorts of ways.
              And you consider paying your taxes punishment. You decide which is worse.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

A sign of an Imperial Presidency? http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z1

My thought is that an Executive enforces the laws as written, not as he/she wants them.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

And you consider paying your taxes punishment. You decide which is worse.
                  No, I just don't want penalties for not doing something the federal government shouldn't be mandating to begin with. But, hey, that's a nuance a lot of folks obviously don't get.
                  Very well, said.
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    A sign of an Imperial Presidency? http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z1

My thought is that an Executive enforces the laws as written, not as he/she wants them.
                    Yah, the Dems have done that a lot lately. Both Obama and the Californians only enforce and support in court the laws they like. A very disturbing trend, but as I noted elsewhere, many folks only care about the end result of a given situation, not how you get there, so if laws are ignored/undermined, well, that's just the price of getting their end result.
                    Very well, said.
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

No, I just don't want penalties for not doing something the federal government shouldn't be mandating to begin with. But, hey, that's a nuance a lot of folks obviously don't get.
                      Yeah, well, there's lots of things I don't want the Federal Government mandating and lots of things my taxes pay for that I'd rather they not buy. Seems I'm never going to get my way either.

Comment

Yeah, well, there's lots of things I don't want the Federal Government mandating and lots of things my taxes pay for that I'd rather they not buy. Seems I'm never going to get my way either.
                        See 1775. You just have to be 100% committed to the cause and win. 1861 were just as committed, but they lost.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

No doubt you vigorously opposed signing statements and supported Obama's limitation of them.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

LOL. I love how everyone forgets that the other side has done it too.

Comment

Sort of. I think the current administration is very comfortable in governing by the Federal Register rather than the US Code. Have others done it? Yep! And Congress continues to let them do it.

So it all comes back to the Congress, doesn't it?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Sort of. I think the current administration is very comfortable in governing by the Federal Register rather than the US Code. Have others done it? Yep! And Congress continues to let them do it.

So it all comes back to the Congress, doesn't it?
                                I think the last sentence is the biggee. The growth of the imperial powers of the executive over the last 50 years is a direct result of Congress shirking their responsibilities. Of course each branch will push for more power, but the Founders designed a system of government where the other two branches can push right back. The primary problem has been Congress stopped pushing. I don't mean for specific policies -- they still push just as hard against the executive for those -- but to protect their sphere of powers. They were complicit in the growth of the imperial executive because it served their personal political interests. They covered their ass. And now they protest, "hey -- the executive is too powerful!" Well no shit, boys. Where were you when it mattered?

This is something that completely cuts across party lines. Republican and Democratic executives have been too powerful, and Republican and Democratic legislatures have been too passive. And Congress still won't pull its head out -- it becomes a game of shrieking about dictatorship if you don't happen to belong to the same party as the president. The minute that changes it's suddenly time to "move on to the real problems of this country."
                                Last edited by Kepler; 09-21-2012, 11:12 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X