Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama XXIV: Forward ... pause ... rewind ... play

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Of course having candidates that seem to be honest and having a clue about actually fixing things would be nice. But, then again, such a candidate would get slaughtered for such honesty.
    I don't actually think they would get slaughtered for the reason you are implying, though.

One reason candidates are vague is not to offend, but more likely they simply don't want to tie themselves to a particular premise that people honestly and thoughtfully disagree with. Look at this forum here. Many voices, usually sincere, and yet almost zero agreement even on what constitutes our major problems.

The "47%" crack is a great case in point. It's not that people became offended because Romney voiced some deep hidden truth. It's people were shocked that Romney is so obviously clueless about something so fundamental. It's as if a candidate said "if you elect me I will pray to God and our deficit will disappear," and then when people's jaw dropped he reacted by saying "people just don't want to face fundamental religious values." No, it's that people think you're crazy for appearing to actually think that way.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      but when does 'THE ONE WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR' lower the oceans back down and drop the temps and all that stuff he promised before?

no, but I hope you're right about the compromise about to be made.
      Well, in North Carolina, they made it illegal for the ocean to rise anymore. So they're ahead of the rest of us.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I don't actually think they would get slaughtered for the reason you are implying, though.

One reason candidates are vague is not to offend, but more likely they simply don't want to tie themselves to a particular premise that people honestly and thoughtfully disagree with. Look at this forum here. Many voices, usually sincere, and yet almost zero agreement even on what constitutes our major problems.

The "47%" crack is a great case in point. It's not that people became offended because Romney voiced some deep hidden truth. It's people were shocked that Romney is so obviously clueless about something so fundamental. It's as if a candidate said "if you elect me I will pray to God and our deficit will disappear," and then when people's jaw dropped he reacted by saying "people just don't want to face fundamental religious values." No, it's that people think you're crazy for appearing to actually think that way.
        You give the voting public more credit than I do. I don't think seniors want to hear that their health care is unsustainable and they are leaving future generations to pick up much of the tab. I don't think defense hawks want to hear that we can't afford to spend on defense what we have been spending. and on and on. I don't think all sorts of people want to hear that what they're getting from the government is unsustainable to the tune of $1.2 trillion a year (that's what, $4,000 annually for ever man, woman, and child?).
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

You give the voting public more credit than I do.
          Well, yes. I am a liberal.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I don't think all sorts of people want to hear that what they're getting from the government is unsustainable to the tune of $1.2 trillion a year (that's what, $4,000 annually for ever man, woman, and child?).
            People don't want to hear that their interests are "special interests," that's true. But that wasn't what drove the revulsion to the 47% comment. That was Mittens saying, "Are there no workhouses?!" That's not policy, it's just his complete insulation inside his Fortress of Privilege.
            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              People don't want to hear that their interests are "special interests," that's true. But that wasn't what drove the revulsion to the 47% comment. That was Mittens saying, "Are there no workhouses?!" That's not policy, it's just his complete insulation inside his Fortress of Privilege.
              The 47 percent is neither here nor there. The public's revulsion for hearing the truth about their entitlement mentality has been growing for many years and has nothing to do specifically with Romney. You tell people how much you will cut their benefits and raise their taxes to balance the budget, and you get crushed at the ballot box. People don't want to hear it. Which is why it's avoided like the plague by most everybody (which is one reason I like Ryan, because he doesn't totally duck the discussion).
              Originally posted by Priceless
              Good to see you're so reasonable.
              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
              Very well, said.
              Originally posted by Rover
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                That's not a lot to ask after issues such as health care are already decided.
                Our healthcare system is now in good shape, thanks to Obamacare? Dare I say...."Mission Accomplished?" I guarantee we'll be battling health care expenditures for a lot longer past today's date than the span of time between Bush's statement and whenever we finally get out of Afghanistan.

True. The populace loves simple answers to difficult problems, even if the simple answers don't actually work.
                "For every complex problem, there is an answer that is simple, clear - and wrong." H.L. Menken
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Our healthcare system is now in good shape, thanks to Obamacare? Dare I say...."Mission Accomplished?" I guarantee we'll be battling health care expenditures for a lot longer past today's date than the span of time between Bush's statement and whenever we finally get out of Afghanistan.

"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is simple, clear - and wrong." H.L. Menken
                  I believe Bush's statment related to Iraq, not Afghanistan. Beyond that though, I don't think health care is where it needs to be. I think the legislative wrangling over healthcare and nonsensical "repeal and replace....and we'll get back to you on the replace part" ends Nov 6th. For both Dodd-Frank and ACA, implementation instead of playing defense will be the next stage post election, of which obstructionist Republicans will have little influence to block.

So getting back to the point, what needs to be done legislatively? Definately immigration, and if the GOP gets smoked 2-1 with Hispanics yet again the Karl Rove's of the world are going to start throwing their weight around to get a deal done and pronto. Not out of any altruism on his part but because he's a savvy politico who's trying to avoid electoral doom for his party.

Energy independence is somewhat trickier but over the next four years ought to be issue #1. Jobs, tax revenue, less need for overseas interventions, lower fossil fuel usage...lots to like on both sides of the aisle.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    Our healthcare system is now in good shape, thanks to Obamacare?
                    Errrrr..............no. Might have been if the GOP hadn't gotten in the way. But, currently the way its set up its a mess. So, status quo, but more people are insured, kids can be insured till 26, and they can't boot you for pre-existing. So, there were some wins.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Hubris?

*****http://granitegrok.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Obama-flag-print-shirt1-250x156.jpg******
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Hubris?

*****http://granitegrok.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Obama-flag-print-shirt1-250x156.jpg******
                        Is there anything... anything that Obama could do, that wouldn't cause conservative poutrage?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Errrrr..............no. Might have been if the GOP hadn't gotten in the way. But, currently the way its set up its a mess. So, status quo, but more people are insured, kids can be insured till 26, and they can't boot you for pre-existing. So, there were some wins.
                          Drat those Republicans, always "getting in the way." D*mn two party system. What we need is a one party system. Yeah, that's the ticket.
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                            Is there anything... anything that Obama could do, that wouldn't cause conservative poutrage?
                            Is there anything, anything that Obama would do (like claiming for days a murderous terrorist attack on a consulate was "spontanous" despite ample evidence to the contrary) that you wouldn't defend?
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Thomas Sowell, on Obama and "redistribution of wealth":

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell092012.php3

Comment

The 47 percent is neither here nor there.
                                Too many folks believe in that tagline without giving it intelligent thought, and they fail to recognize what it represents nor why they shouldn't be offended by a great percentage of that group. In addition to freeloaders it's made up of seniors, college students, members of the military and even a number of employed that are still paying state taxes, sales taxes and in some cases property taxes. I'm not about to wish I could trade places with a member of that group just because they're not paying the feds.

Comment

Working...
                                X