X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama XXIV: Forward ... pause ... rewind ... play

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Moving to Alaska??
    Someone in Anchorage has a white Nissan GT-R. I've seen it driving around in the dead of winter. Yeah, it's AWD, but that is still a whole lot of car to wrangle on icy roads.

I've seen an orange one as well, but I think that was an imitation kit.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
      The "death panels" demagoguery probably set back health care in this country by twenty years, if not more.
      It is concerning to me at least that the two biggest 'achievements' of the current administration include unelected people in small groups making multi-billion dollar decisions with hazy or non-existent congressional oversight.

If that was proposed, one would normally assume it was the republicans.

Regardless of motive, that isnt the best course...the unintended consequences are the concern.
      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Could be. But then again, if I owned a Porsche, it wouldn't see the light of day between October and April.
        When I bought it, that was my idea also. But the darn thing is just so much fun to drive. Because we have other cars it really never accumulated much mileage-it is never a car to take shopping and we dont take it places where we have to allow valet parking. One observation though which is rather astounding-it is the only car i ever owned that can sit for weeks and weeks without any problems. Starts instantly and virtually no flat spots in the tires. I have no clue as to why but it has not had any mechanical or electrical problems ever. We have had 2 of these over the years (one from back in 1982 which i kept for 18 years was the most reliable automobile i ever had). Not the most practical of cars and certainly not something that would be my primary ever. But as the extra car kept more as an expensive toy-they have been just great. My neighbor here in NJ has a Testarosa-incredible to look at and fantastic when everything is working right-but I don't think he has driven the car 1/2 as much as his mechanic has.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
          It is concerning to me at least that the two biggest 'achievements' of the current administration include unelected people in small groups making multi-billion dollar decisions with hazy or non-existent congressional oversight.

If that was proposed, one would normally assume it was the republicans.
          To be fair, when Republicans do that it's for their own personal profit, so they tend to have well-defined goals and good process control.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            To be fair, when Republicans do that it's for their own personal profit, so they tend to have well-defined goals and good process control.
            Reminds me of that great P. J. O'Rourke quote: "Republicans are just as bad as Democrats, but at least you know they're trying to make a buck out of it," or something like that.
            Bugs Bunny - 96
            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Guess we have different opinions of 'biggest achievements'. I thought you were going to say bringing to justice of OBL or ending the Iraq war or the doubling of the stock market (which is largely based on corporate earnings) since the quarter he took over.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Well, when the reds take the WH, this election or next, there will be much wailing when the blues figure out that they have created the opportunity for their nemesis to run consumer protection and health care with a small, unelected group.

It is a bad precedent and will lead to even more battling and paybacks.
                I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Guess we have different opinions of 'biggest achievements'. I thought you were going to say bringing to justice of OBL or ending the Iraq war or the doubling of the stock market (which is largely based on corporate earnings) since the quarter he took over.
                  That's like saying the guy who took over for Noah presided over the biggest drought in history. The stock market was going to rebound even if Rob Schneider was elected...Obama is no fan of business, markets or capital gains...what's next, Obama is causing global warming to increase?

Comment

That's like saying the guy who took over for Noah presided over the biggest drought in history. The stock market was going to rebound even if Rob Schneider was elected...Obama is no fan of business, markets or capital gains...what's next, Obama is causing global warming to increase?
                    Given the choice we had 4 years ago-I think i would have voted for Noah.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      That was the 2004 election, certainly. A dope, a fiend, a twit, and a cad. Nice.

I'm actually pretty comfortable with the choices in 2008 and 2012. Well, 7/8ths of them anyway.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        That was the 2004 election, certainly. A dope, a fiend, a twit, and a cad. Nice.

I'm actually pretty comfortable with the choices in 2008 and 2012. Well, 7/8ths of them anyway.
                        I just wonder who will receive the presidential nomination for the "The Rent is 2 **** High" party.

Comment

Well, when the reds take the WH, this election or next, there will be much wailing when the blues figure out that they have created the opportunity for their nemesis to run consumer protection and health care with a small, unelected group.

It is a bad precedent and will lead to even more battling and paybacks.
                          Consumer protection and health care are the very sort of things that should not be run by elected officials. The Center for Disease Control doesn't poll the masses on which plagues they should protect against.

EOP offices have two very different kinds of staff: politicals and independent civil servants. Politicals are the sort of morons you see on talk shows; they belong to a party and they serve the administration, and their job is to see that the broad policy initiatives of the president are carried out by the executive branch. The civil servants are the people who actually have expertise, education, and experience, and who do the actual work. They are the same as the people who work in the private sector.

People outside the process tend to mix the two groups up, but they are very different (and revile one another). It's a common fallacy that the politicals are "running" the government. Not really. They set certain goals and exclude others, but they don't actually "do" much of anything. At most they send vague signals that are translated into actual action by the people who really know what's going on.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-21-2012, 09:42 AM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                            Reminds me of that great P. J. O'Rourke quote: "Republicans are just as bad as Democrats, but at least you know they're trying to make a buck out of it," or something like that.
                            Two of my favorites are:

"I'm the most honest politician in Chicago, because I'm a crook and I'm not afraid to admit it"

and

"James Michael Curley was the best mayor Boston ever had. For every dollar he stole from us, he gave back 50 cents"
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              We could use Noah right now, given that we could use a leader that could save us from a pending flood of problems. Though compared to building an ark, fixing this country might scare even Noah away. I wonder how the media would attack Noah? He did have that one episode where he got drunk.
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                                We could use Noah right now, given that we could use a leader that could save us from a pending flood of problems. Though compared to building an ark, fixing this country might scare even Noah away. I wonder how the media would attack Noah? He did have that one episode where he got drunk.
                                But did he go skinny dipping? THAT's really important!!
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X