Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama XXIV: Forward ... pause ... rewind ... play

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    To be fair, receiving a BJ is not really a relationship. Kinda one sided...

Of course lying about an affair and lying about something that, say, gets us into a war, costs thousands of American lives, and trillions of dollars is essentially the same thing, right?
    Yep. Agree. But, semantics are a fun exercise. There is no proof about anyone "lieing" about the wars- IIRC Congress i.e. bi-partisan agreement was reached on executing. One of the major reasons was not justified. WMD were never discovered, but there is no proof that they were or weren't there.It became political leverage for the progressives.

The bottom line is, being called out for lying in my case is the same as saying "I don't agree with you, so you are a liar".

Oh, and here is another piece on GM's China business:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-with-wulings/

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      To be fair, receiving a BJ is not really a relationship. Kinda one sided...
      he wasn't asked if he was in a sexual relationship with that woman and don't discount the catchers feelings on the subject. they have a side
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        I notice you keep avoiding GM's #1 status in China because it doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion of the subject..
        I'm not sure what you're trying to say. It's no skin off my nose if a company moves operations offshore if they figure there's money to be made elsewhere. But I can't tell if you're complaining about it or cheering for more of it... so, not avoiding the subject. Rather I have no opinion. Hard to blame any company for looking elsewhere for profits, though.

I don't need a new car right now, but I'd be happy to consider a GM/Ford/Chrysler product on equal footing with Honda/Toyota/etc. Why wouldn't I?
        Simply because ever since the government took over and propped up GM, they have no risk in the game and quality has gone down the toilet. All too often as in this case, removal of competition drastically and negatively affects quality. But you go ahead and buy that Chevy if ideology is more important than buying something that works.
        Last edited by geezer; 08-17-2012, 10:21 AM.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Yep. Agree. But, semantics are a fun exercise. There is no proof about anyone "lieing" about the wars- IIRC Congress i.e. bi-partisan agreement was reached on executing. One of the major reasons was not justified. WMD were never discovered, but there is no proof that they were or weren't there.It became political leverage for the progressives.

The bottom line is, being called out for lying in my case is the same as saying "I don't agree with you, so you are a liar".

Oh, and here is another piece on GM's China business:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-with-wulings/
          I don't think I'd be hanging my argument on the premise that there's a good chance there were WMD's in Iraq. There are many ways to skin a cat...and getting a big chunk of Chinese sales, even if its a percentage, is actually a good strategy. Few firms are taking advantage of growing markets to the same extent. And when these sales baloon, they'll be happy to have that kind of involvement in the market.

So maybe GM is not rosy right now. Maybe its just doing so-so. For the country, that's good enough. For the investment, that's probably good enough. It would be nice, but we don't need GM to rival Toyota. But rather continue to function. The industrial midwest has been counting on it along with the rest of the country to a lesser extent...especially government tax revenues.

No numbers to back this up (although nobody has numbers to refute either)...but I maintain that unless the company is wiped out in two years...this will have been a good investment for the country. The issue is not that we backstopped a medeocre company from failing...but that we stopped a decent part of an industry and a region from getting sandblasted at the depths of a near great depression crisis. Who knows what reverberations shuttering much of an industry and sending many more unemployed onto the streets would have had in 2009 when stocks were falling 300 pts and banks were closing every day. If it happens in five years (with a pretty safe assumption that we won't be in the middle of another generational crisis), we'll be able to handle it.
          Last edited by 5mn_Major; 08-17-2012, 10:26 AM.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            he wasn't asked if he was in a sexual relationship with that woman and don't discount the catchers feelings on the subject. they have a side
            Semantics!

Maybe he meant to say "relationship" and thought, when I get a hand job from a hooker, it's not a relationship.

Coulda happened that way...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
              What I've been starting to wonder is: What if America's post-WWII successes weren't because we have an innate edge, based on more freedom, more entrepreneurship, more opportunity, more immigrants' genes, etc.; what if it was only because we had more people? More people means more factories, quicker improvements, etc etc, eventually the cheapest products, and now the world wants to buy everything from you. Bingo, prosperity.

Obviously you have to have a society set up in a way that allows all those people to get stuff done. China's had more people than the US forever, but they (to say the least) didn't have things set up to make things very well. But what if it was only a matter of time until the other largest countries started seeing that if you get your basic **** together and have a bunch of factories making a bunch of products, you can't help but end up making them cheaper, and then you're selling, and your people are getting jobs, etc.?

I don't know if I really think all this yet. And China clearly has issues to work out in the near future. But if economic success on a world-wide stage turns out to be largely a matter of who has more people, then all the things Rover and FlagDUDE are observing are both true, but not relevant to the big picture.
              Considering the USA has revolutionised use of the assembly line to the point where companies are starting to use robotic drones to perform this manual work (and in the case of computer chips, it's out of necessity due to the size), the amount of labour is starting to become a wash (it isn't there yet, but it's on its way). You're absolutely correct in that the country needs to get its **** together when it comes to some of our technologies (or development thereof) and start to build.

Comment

Ahhh, the old "union" strawman argument out of a knuckledragger.

Tell me flaggy, since unions have been losing influence over the last 40 years, one would think the plight of US workers should be getting better over that time right? Is it your assertion that workers in the manufacturing sector are better off nowadays? (I don't expect you to answer that question).
                You need to brush up on the concept of cause and effect.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Regarding the product, I notice you keep avoiding GM's #1 status in China because it doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion of the subject..
                  i'll ask you since you appear to know as resident expert on GM-China....
                  are the cars GM sells in china imported? or produced 'domestically'?
                  cost to make?
                  sell price?
                  # of? (i still see too many chinaman riding bicycles)
                  share of that $0.90/sh profit this quarter that came from prc?

..this you probably don't know, but i'll still ask
                  US epa type restrictions on prc production and their cost to gm's unit cost on prc produced autos?

thank you in advance!
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Obama looking at releasing petroleum reserves to boost reelection bid. This is the kind of "October surprise" that my wallet would appreciate.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      Obama looking at releasing petroleum reserves to boost reelection bid. This is the kind of "October surprise" that my wallet would appreciate.
                      I've been wondering when he'd do this as part of his arsenal of giveaways to try to win reelection. Used to be the petroleum reserves didn't get touched unless there was a significant problem of some sort.
                      Very well, said.
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                        I've been wondering when he'd do this as part of his arsenal of giveaways to try to win reelection. Used to be the petroleum reserves didn't get touched unless there was a significant problem of some sort.
                        People thinking $3.75/gal gasoline is a "significant problem" does not fall on deaf ears.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          People thinking $3.75/gal gasoline is a "significant problem" does not fall on deaf ears.
                          I wonder if Obama will give me some money to compensate me for the cactus prikclers I got in my arm last weekend when I was doing yard work? After all, that's what Americans do, help (read give money) to one another.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Hang on one second, how is it the right wing's fault that health care is attached to employment? Sure, it was used as a competitive edge during the wage freezes of World War II, but wouldn't that choice continue to remain entirely with the private sector, which last time I checked, is non-partisan? Heck, how about the union bosses demanding employers provide health care for their employees?
                            I think he means that the current "conservatives" in the GOP want to keep the system as is. (which is attached to employment) The liberals (and those of us that want massive overhaul because the system sucks) want single payer. And by that we mean real single payer, not the fake definition of single payer Fresh Fish came up with.

BTW I bought a GM vehicle in February...a 2010 Impala and I love it
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I think he means that the current "conservatives" in the GOP want to keep the system as is. (which is attached to employment) The liberals (and those of us that want massive overhaul because the system sucks) want single payer. And by that we mean real single payer, not the fake definition of single payer Fresh Fish came up with.

BTW I bought a GM vehicle in February...a 2010 Impala and I love it
                              By single payer, you mean you want mommy and daddy government to give you everything, similar to exactly how Medicare works. Death panels, here we come.

I bought a 2008 TrailBlazer last year, and already am having some issues.

Comment

By single payer, you mean you want mommy and daddy government to give you everything, similar to exactly how Medicare works. Death panels, here we come.

I bought a 2008 TrailBlazer last year, and already am having some issues.
                                2004 Audi A4. I've had a series of repairs. But man, can that car corner.

You want reliability...its pretty much Japanese.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X