Happy International Left Handers Day 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Happy International Left Handers Day 2012

Southpaw fact: It is because of a left-handed person that you drive on the right side of the road (assuming you're in a country that does so). Napoleon Bonaparte wanted his dominant hand, the one where he primarily used his sword, to be out towards the enemy as he stood to the outside of his marching troops. Therefore, those under his empire became used to marching on the right side of the road, as opposed to the left.

Comment

Party at the Leftorium later?
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        And you get 364 (sometimes 365) other days to gloat this discrimination. Give him the red-handled scissors!
        You know, it really is discrimination. Think about those stupid desks in college classrooms with the desk part on the right. I had to cross my legs and put a notebook in my lap to take notes. You'd think they could invest in one or two lefty desks. When I was a kid, ball points hadn't yet taken over the pen world. It was impossible for me to use a fountain pen, since my left hand would drag through what I'd just written and smear it (and my hand).

I remember a guy in 5th grade going through all sorts of changes because the teacher was trying to change him to a righty (obviously with his parents' permission, since nobody ever said a word to me). All sorts of common implements make life somewhat more difficult for lefties. The one real advantage is baseball both hitting and pitching. How many marginal lefty relief pitchers can hang on a couple of extra years because they've got a statistical better chance of getting the big right hand hitter out?

Old Pio: bats right, golf right, throws left, tennis left, bowls left, writes left, eats and one other thing with either hand.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          You know, it really is discrimination. Think about those stupid desks in college classrooms with the desk part on the right. I had to cross my legs and put a notebook in my lap to take notes. You'd think they could invest in one or two lefty desks. When I was a kid, ball points hadn't yet taken over the pen world. It was impossible for me to use a fountain pen, since my left hand would drag through what I'd just written and smear it (and my hand).

I remember a guy in 5th grade going through all sorts of changes because the teacher was trying to change him to a righty (obviously with his parents' permission, since nobody ever said a word to me). All sorts of common implements make life somewhat more difficult for lefties. The one real advantage is baseball both hitting and pitching. How many marginal lefty relief pitchers can hang on a couple of extra years because they've got a statistical better chance of getting the big right hand hitter out?

Old Pio: bats right, golf right, throws left, tennis left, bowls left, writes left, eats and one other thing with either hand.
          At least at RPI in the large lecture halls, the chairs furthest to the left of each aisle have the desk on the correct side. Still not enough (not even close to 1 out of 10), but a step in the correct direction.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
            I guess I can celebrate for half of the day. I write and eat right-handed but play all sports left-handed. Never been able to figure out how that happened...
            I'm exactly the opposite. Sports are all right but writing and eating is left. One hand is stronger and one hand is more precise.

So I like the celebrating half a day.

Left is right!

Comment

Write right, throw right, shoot left, bat left and right (better left), golf right, shoot pool right...
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I know someone else who is the same way.

I learned to play pool right-handed, but now play ambidextrous (though predominantly left). No behind-the-back shots for me.

As for eating, the Americans call you right-handed, while the Europeans call you a stupid American.
                I try to play pool right handed at times too so that I dont have to do any of that behind the back crap. It makes a lot of shots easier.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                  Left (even though I don't skate )

I have a right-handed pool shot.
                  A left-handed hockey shot means you're using your right hand as the dominant for control. That's why I asked. People who are left-handed for writing and such, *should* be taught to shoot right-handed and then righties should should left. Most people aren't taught to logic as kids, and thus you get people like me who grow up right-handed at everything including hockey (and you with left/left) who use their dominant, dexterous hands as the guide/power side and not their control side.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    A left-handed hockey shot means you're using your right hand as the dominant for control. That's why I asked. People who are left-handed for writing and such, *should* be taught to shoot right-handed and then righties should should left. Most people aren't taught to logic as kids, and thus you get people like me who grow up right-handed at everything including hockey (and you with left/left) who use their dominant, dexterous hands as the guide/power side and not their control side.
                    Which is why I play stringed instruments "right-handed". Witha mouse, I use an external right, pointing stick left (I can't use the touchpads).

Comment

What about footedness?

Does it match handedness?
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        What about footedness?

Does it match handedness?
                        If you're left-footed when it comes to soccer, that's good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          What about footedness?
                          I kick with my left foot.
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                          Northeast Regional:
                          West Regional: 2015, 2021
                          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

At least at RPI in the large lecture halls, the chairs furthest to the left of each aisle have the desk on the correct side. Still not enough (not even close to 1 out of 10), but a step in the correct direction.
                            This was true at Cornell, too. In a row of 20 chairs the far left would be the only good one. Now combine that with being legally blind in your right eye, and you have an impossible situation.

OTOH, it was always a good excuse to sit on the far right, swivel, and use the corner of the pretty girl to the left's desk.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Southpaw fact: It is because of a left-handed person that you drive on the right side of the road (assuming you're in a country that does so). Napoleon Bonaparte wanted his dominant hand, the one where he primarily used his sword, to be out towards the enemy as he stood to the outside of his marching troops. Therefore, those under his empire became used to marching on the right side of the road, as opposed to the left.
                              This sounds urban legendy.

The (also probably urban legend) story I had always heard was that horsemen rode to the right so they could hold the reins in their dominant (right) hand while gesturing to oncoming horsemen with the (inside) left hand.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                OTOH, it was always a good excuse to sit on the far right, swivel, and use the corner of the pretty girl to the left's desk.
                                There were pretty girls at Cornell?

Sorry... couldn't let that meatball go without swinging (left-handed, of course)! ')
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                                Northeast Regional:
                                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X