Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whale Wars

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    I would demand that The Stig torpedo the Steve Irwin instead and do so from a ship called Sting Ray for full irony capability.
    Yeah, they are really asking for it by naming their ship that.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
      Whales are endangered. Deer should be hunted by the buttload - they're a menace.
      We should equip deer with aqualungs and have the japanese hunt them. Everyone wins!

BPH- It's unfortunate the Bukakarobofunshark is currently planning to level Tokyo and fight Mothra, Ghidra, Gamera and possibly Midget Voltron. hai!

I think we've proved by our near annihilation of the fishing industry that the human race can't be trusted to do a "little bit" of whaling.
      Last edited by Jon; 08-03-2009, 03:36 PM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

So tonight it looks like the Japs kill some whales right in front of Waston's band of merry harrassers - and there will be much gnashing of teeth.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          We should equip deer with aqualungs and have the japanese hunt them. Everyone wins!
          Canadian Geese too, there are way too many flying carp around.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            ...and there will be much gnashing of teeth.
            And tears. Don't forget the tears. You just know the water works will be at maximum flow tonight...
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
              I hate those things with a passion.

So tonight it looks like the whales kill some Japanese whalers right in front of Waston's band of merry harrassers - and there will be much rejoicing.
              I wish that was happening instead.

I'm waiting for a show where hippies attack people trying to "fin" sharks. Which is worse that whaling if you think about it.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                I laughed the other night at the Corning Preserve here in Albany as a park attendant driving a small tractor chased a large herd of Canada Geese off of the grass and back into the river. I applauded the man.
                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

*****http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2424/aa6cf8895e0b5ddcbeef9bf.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by The Paragon of Virtue View Post
                    *****http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2424/aa6cf8895e0b5ddcbeef9bf.jpg******
                    Gotta nuke someone.

-Blackadder
                    -Casablanca
                    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Well, I admittedly was off the mark with my expectation of tears, but that's only because they didn't see the whale get harpooned. Once they do (which the teasers keep implying), open up the floodgates and make sure the drainage ditches are clear because the crew won't be able to handle it.

I got into this show as I caught a bunch of re-runs leading up to this season, which got me interested enough to watch this season. A few thoughts:

I give the Sea Shepherds a lot of credit, albeit in a backwards sort of way, perhaps. Though I am more than certain I don't see eye-to-eye with any of the crew on much of anything, Watson is correct when he decries Greenpeace and says no one ever saved a whale by holding a sign. Considering the Japanese are so full of crap on this it's not even funny, I give the Sea Shepherds a good amount of credit for actively attempting to stop something they deem atrocious. Do their actions push, and perhaps even trespass on, the limits of legality? Sure, but I'm not aware of anyone who ever actively and effectively fought against anything who didn't.

That said, what an incompetent bunch of hacks. I understand the basis for Watson's desire for passion over experience, but it's still a big mistake, and here are a few reasons why:

1. Operating largely on uneducated emotion, they waste their time on things that accomplish nothing while ignoring much simpler tacts that might prove more fruitful. As in: sit right on the *** of the processing ship. I don't mean a mile back like always seems to happen, I mean right on its ***. They get some competent and attentive boat drivers and do that, they won't even need to launch the inflatables.

2. The ridiculous concept of an all-vegan crew. Stupid, as it cuts out a big chunk of competent people who might be sympathetic to the cause. It ignores the big picture.

3. Impatience. In an operational sense, it could end up being a fatal, literally, flaw. Don't mess with the ice, for example. Stick a tracking device on the processing ship (not that hard to do if you know what you're doing, which they don't) and pick it back up later. Running unnecessary risk will eventually fold up an operation of any variety.

4. Organization. Sure they roll out a bunch of ridiculous titles like "Bosun's Mate" and "Quartermaster", but there isn't much by way of organization on the ship. Even Watson himself seems rather indifferent when presented with ideas at times. Granted, the emotion comes part and parcel with something like this to begin with, but christ, if you want to be effective...leave it at the door. Bringing in so many whimsical people is why there is such high turnover every year, which is also counterproductive to the ultimate goal.

5. Training. It obviously doesn't exist due to the passion over experience preference of Watson, but a little here could go a long way. There are enough idealistic crazies out there that finding 20 people to come in a month or two early to learn some things could go a long way...especially now that the show's popularity is only going to make finidng volunteers easier. Not checking the batteries on the satellite phone before leaving? That's how people die, and is inexcusable. It doesn't matter if you're on a nearby rooftop trying to monitor Russian naval activity in the North Atlantic or trying to stop the killing of whales, the principle is the same. That's how people die.

6. Foresight. I wonder what happens when the Japanese roll out a second processing ship. Uh oh. I doubt they have ever even considered that possibility.

Just a few there, but point is: If this bunch doesn't start expanding its options in order to increase efficiency and effectiveness it will ultimately sink itself.

They do a good job, but that's only because they are the only people doing it. There are a lot of people out there who could do much better, and they should open up their minds and maybe bring a few of them into the fold.
                      Last edited by XYZ; 08-08-2009, 02:32 AM.
                      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

I wish that was happening instead.

I'm waiting for a show where hippies attack people trying to "fin" sharks. Which is worse that whaling if you think about it.
                        find the movie sharkwater
                        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                          And tears. Don't forget the tears. You just know the water works will be at maximum flow tonight...
                          That will apparently be next week, the producers sure are leading us on with that one. But I guess it works, we're still watching.

At least the prop fowler worked this time, albeit a short period of time.

That whole vegan crewperson thing is crazy. It's ok to eat beef and tuna, yet try and save whales.

I did hear the Japs are killing like 900+ whales, which to me is quite a high number, but I'd love to know what the estimated population of that type of whale is.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

That whole vegan crewperson thing is crazy. It's ok to eat beef and tuna, yet try and save whales.

I did hear the Japs are killing like 900+ whales, which to me is quite a high number, but I'd love to know what the estimated population of that type of whale is.
                            I thought that because they were vegan they didn't eat beef or tuna...unless they're RStarr.

For most species of tuna it's not ok to eat them because the methods used to catch them are unsustainable and unethical.

The most ethical way to catch a fish is catching one with your own line.
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

It think it's in the neighborhood of 38,000 for Minke whales.

What it comes down to is I can't trust them to do "a little" whaling.

-Blackadder
                              -Casablanca
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

That practice is beyond atrocious. Cut the fins off, throw the live shark back in the ocean to die.

Warning - weak stomachs don't look.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMYtuMgwNCY
                                Last edited by Foxton; 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X