Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whale Wars

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    So this is the first time I've watched this show. How do these idiots think they can get close to the whaling ship with their little crappy speed boats when they can't with the Irwin because of water cannons? Then going head on at the huge whaling ship? Morons. Even if they could do this and hit the whaling ship, why would the Japanese care if they got hit with one stink bomb? Big deal. It's like a mosquito.

Go Japanese! Kill those stupid whales!

They used to get really close with the Irwin, but the netherlands (whose flag they fly under) sent them a fax that basically said they could not do anything to the the ships with the irwin. They used to pull up along side the boats and throw tons of Butyric Acid on them. I"m guessing the japanese government threatened the netherlands to withold imports etc, if things continued.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

So, when the Irwin is harrassing one of the whaling ships, does that ship just stay close enough to the Irwin that they keep on bugging them while leaving the rest of the whaling fleet alone? Or at least send out an APB to the other ships to stay out of the area?
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Re GoJackets - Your statement regarding the humanness of shooting/bow hunting holds no water. You say that these weapons are *meant* to kill instantaneously unlike harpooning which we all know doesn't happen in reality. So again, both types of hunting are inhuman and to argue otherwise is asinine.

Japan should be harassed and more power to the Sea Sheppard's (It's really too bad they don’t have more funding, leadership, training, resources, etc.). I'd love nothing more than to spit in the whalers and their supporters faces (or just force feed them a bunch of mercury tainted meat). Want to know more about how disgusting and despicable Japan is? Watch the new documentary coming out called The Cove. It's pretty much about how Japan also slaughters dolphins (and turtles). I'm about ready to nuke Japan out of existence. Idiots. I'm guessing the stupidity must come from their pee sized brains (which are probably all infected with syphilis). Hopefully they all get mercury poisoning and die. The sooner, the better.

Anyway, let's get back to criticizing the people who are actually trying to do something while we just sit behind these computer screens.

Last edited by RStarr; 08-03-2009, 06:40 AM.
        (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
          Whales are endangered.
          Not every species of whale is endangered. Minke whales (which are hunted by Norwegians) and Bowhead whales (which are hunted by Alaska Natives) are not endangered and are hunted legally albeit with certain restrictions.

The Japanese do this "research" to prove that they should be allowed to hunt legally. A little more info from, unfortunately, Wikipedia:
          Since the 1986 IWC ban on whaling, Japan has conducted its whaling by issuing scientific research permits. The value of "lethal sampling" of whales is a highly contentious issue. The stated aim of the Japanese JARPA research program is to establish sustainable whaling in the Antarctic Ocean.[98] The selling of whale meat from the lethal sampling to fish markets is purportedly to help fund the research, a claim disputed by opponents as being a cover for illegal whaling. The IWC requires information on population structure, abundance and prior whaling history, which anti-whalers argue can be obtained through non-lethal means.[citation needed]

Lethal sampling is required to obtain age information and precise dietary composition. The age of a whale can be reliably gathered by examining the ear plug in the head of the dead animal, which accumulates as annual growth rings. Japan initially argued that simple population distribution of whale species is enough to determine the level of sustainability of the hunt and argued that certain species of whale, particularly minke whales, are in sufficient number to be hunted. The anti-whaling side countered by arguing that more accurate composition of population distribution in term of age and sex distribution is needed to determine the sustainability, which ironically provided the justification for the Japanese hunt under the scientific research exemption. According to lethal-sampling opponent Nick Gales, age data is not needed to establish a catch limit for whaling within the framework of the Revised Management Procedure (RMP) computer modeling, which is the stated goal of the Japanese research.[98]

Dietary information is obtained with lethal sampling by cutting open the stomach of the animal. Opponents of lethal sampling state that dietary habits can be ascertained by biopsies as well as collecting feces from living whales. Proponents counter by stating that biopsies only reveal the type of food consumed (such as fish or krill) and not the exact type of fish, and that feces analysis does not provide as good of a quantitative estimation of dietary consumption.

Although lethal sampling is a heavily debated issue, the IWC Scientific Committee acknowledges the usefulness of the data from JARPA.[99] In a November 2008 review of Japan's first 18 years of its scientific whaling program, the IWC stated that the panel was "very pleased with the data [that Japan] collected," and though "there was some advice on how these data could be further analyzed, or better analysed," that there "was general consensus about the high quality and the usefulness of the data."
          This show is a low-class attempt to distort facts and garner attention and sympathy to their side of the issue. I have very little sympathy for these d-bags and frankly I hope one of the ships runs them over.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
            Anyway, let's get back to criticizing the people who are actually trying to do something while we just sit behind these computer screens.
            Thank god.

Comment

Right. 'Cuz the end justifies the means in all cases.

Following that logic, nobody should ALF or ELF for their 2-dozen terrorist acts committed between 2002 and 2005. After all, they were just trying to actually do something to help animals or the environment, as opposed to sitting behind these computer screens.

Or is that somehow "different"?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                Not every species of whale is endangered. Minke whales (which are hunted by Norwegians) and Bowhead whales (which are hunted by Alaska Natives) are not endangered and are hunted legally albeit with certain restrictions.

This show is a low-class attempt to distort facts and garner attention and sympathy to their side of the issue. I have very little sympathy for these d-bags and frankly I hope one of the ships runs them over.
                is it necessary to kill 90,000 whales for this research?
                UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                  So, when the Irwin is harrassing one of the whaling ships, does that ship just stay close enough to the Irwin that they keep on bugging them while leaving the rest of the whaling fleet alone? Or at least send out an APB to the other ships to stay out of the area?
                  In the past they would just run away because they were faster and more agile than the Irwin. Now the Japanese have a battle plan and use it to lure the irwin in and then launch surprise attacks against them. The Irwin hasn't figured it out yet.
                  UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                    Killing whales is like punching ******** kids. It's not really necessary, but it sure is fun!
                    Last edited by Dirty; 08-03-2009, 09:56 AM.
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      Killing whales is like punching ******** kids. It's no really necessary, but it sure is fun!
                      We wouldn't have to worry about preserving them if we just killed them all.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                        and how is it that the meat finds its way to the street markets? I guess the local people need to "research" the whales too.

Like I said before, mercury poising for all! yay!
                        (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

All kidding aside, the Japs seem to be breaking international law, but the Sea Shepards should not be taking the law into thier own hands. There's no justification for that.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

In the spirit of Shark Week (and of Top Gear), I vote that the Steve Irwin gets attacked by Roboshark's Japanese cousin, and that they retaliate by sending Roboshark after the Japanese version.
                            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                              In the spirit of Shark Week (and of Top Gear), I vote that the Steve Irwin gets attacked by Roboshark's Japanese cousin, and that they retaliate by sending Roboshark after the Japanese version.
                              I think the Stig should get to drive the Steve Irwin. See how fast he can make it around the icebergs.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                                I think the Stig should get to drive the Steve Irwin. See how fast he can make it around the icebergs.
                                I would demand that The Stig torpedo the Steve Irwin instead and do so from a ship called Sting Ray for full irony capability.
                                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X