Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whale Wars

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
    I really hope they take the grappling hooks and sink their boats.
    you HOPE they sink the boat? You do realize survival in such an event is unlikely right? Hmmmm a little morbid hoping an entire shipload of people doing what they believe in die?

Although I'd like to slap Paul Watson and most of his crew upside the head I'm not sure how or why one would root for the Japanese either.

The Japanese whaling should be stopped and no one else is about to step up and do anything.

The intentions of Watson are sincere and valid. However, the fact they put the crews in such danger due to simple lack of training or intelligent strategy is inexcusable.

For those rooting for the Whaling vessels... well you'd be best to shut off the show as I'd be willing to bet this show is bringing a lot of much needed funding to the Steve Irwin moving forward with all the attention it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnB View Post
      The Japanese whaling should be stopped and no one else is about to step up and do anything.
      there's no legitimate reason for them to be able to continue hunting whales. None.

Don't give the "cultural" BS. Unless you think foot binding, female genital mutilation and encouraging widows to jump on funeral pyres is okay too.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

Don't give the "cultural" BS. Unless you think foot binding, female genital mutilation and encouraging widows to jump on funeral pyres is okay too.
        Well it does give National Geographic writers and Discovery Channel producers somethin to do.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
          oh and my favorite....Tora Tora Tora as the secret attack code....how dumb are these people?
          That was hilarious. Then the dopes in the Gemini didn't know it meant to do the prop fowler and not toss acid.

I was reading in Time magazine that Timothy Hutton said "Whale Wars" is the most important serious series on TV right now. These Hollywood types are eating this crap up. Maybe they should hop on the ship and try to help...then it sinks.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I love to watch this show right after watching a few episodes of Deadliest Catch, strictly for the contrast.

In an one hour episode of DC the crew works 36 hours straight in 30 foot seas and bring in tens of thousands or dollars worth of crab. Meanwhile in a one hour episode of Whale Wars they finally figure out how to launch their inflatable while in calm seas on a sunny day. I’ve always thought that if you took the Deadliest Catch crews and put them on the Steve Irwin, the Japanese fleet would be at the bottom of the ocean by now.
            MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY
            NCAA Appearance: 2007
            1972 Division II Champions

DII Playoffs : 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

UMass Hockey Blog:
            http://fearthetriangle.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rox22 View Post
              I love to watch this show right after watching a few episodes of Deadliest Catch, strictly for the contrast.

In an one hour episode of DC the crew works 36 hours straight in 30 foot seas and bring in tens of thousands or dollars worth of crab. Meanwhile in a one hour episode of Whale Wars they finally figure out how to launch their inflatable while in calm seas on a sunny day. I’ve always thought that if you took the Deadliest Catch crews and put them on the Steve Irwin, the Japanese fleet would be at the bottom of the ocean by now.
              I've been hoping the idiot hippies on the Steve Irwin would venture into the Bearing Sea and try and shut down crab fishing. It would be interesting to see just how it was before the Steve Irwin was on the bottom of the ocean.

What the morons are doing is the textbook definition of piracy and should be punished as such. The spin they use is pretty good. Chase a vessel around for days and then claim it's attacking them so can throw bottles from their ship and not violate the rules of the Dutch flag they are sailing under. Get their prop fowler stolen and whine about the fact it could be used against them. Whine about the nuts throw at the speed boat after throwing glass bottles full of acid at another vessel. Ram another vessel and blame it on the Japanese.

And someone mentioned that butyric acid isn't harmful earlier in the thread. This simply isn't true. It's highly toxic to marine life and can cause instant blindness. Read up on it at the CDC's website.
              Sports Alleigance

NCAAH Minnesota
              NFL Min
              MLB NYM, Min
              NHL Min, Dal
              NCAAB Min, Baylor
              NCAAFB Min, Ole Miss
              Soccer USA, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday

Comment

If the ratings start to fade, maybe the Discovery channel could have a Whale Wars vs The Deadliest Catch pilot episode. I'd love to see Capt. Sig and the "Northwestern" take on Watson and the "Irwin". The winner could take on "Time bandit" or the vessel that is used in that show, that salvages all the spanish gold.
                Last edited by Blearyman; 07-27-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Ok, I'm watching this show, and I am really having trouble grasping something:

How is the Sea Shepard legally able to go out and commit petty vandalism against the Japanese ships that are LEGALLY (at least I think it's legal) fishing
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    Ok, I'm watching this show, and I am really having trouble grasping something:

How is the Sea Shepard legally able to go out and commit petty vandalism against the Japanese ships that are LEGALLY (at least I think it's legal) fishing
                    What I don't get is how they (the commissioners against whaling and everyone that supports it) can declare that harpooning a whale is inhumane yet shooting a bow or firing a bullet into deer/elk/etc. isn't? Or that letting dogs maul foxs isn't? *** is going on in this world?
                    (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
                      What I don't get is how they (the commissioners against whaling and everyone that supports it) can declare that harpooning a whale is inhumane yet shooting a bow or firing a bullet into deer/elk/etc. isn't? Or that letting dogs maul foxs isn't? *** is going on in this world?
                      Whales are endangered. Deer should be hunted by the buttload - they're a menace.
                      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                        Whales are endangered.
                        And stupidity is an invasive species.
                        Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                        I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                        Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

We don't know whether or not the japanese are hunting whales or conducting "research," and with all the spin they blast out on the animal planet show and all the self-righteousness on the part of the Irwin crew I wouldn't be surprised if either were true. If only South Park were real, there would be a Perfect Storm of smug.
                          Remember when you were young? You shined like the sun...

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
                            I think the difference there is that the bullet/arrow is intended to kill the deer pretty instantaneously...we all know that that doesn't always happen. The difference is that the harpoon is not designed to kill the whale, it is designed to capture the whale until a deadly blow can be administered which leads to much pain and suffering on the part of the whale.

The bullet/arrow is designed to kill, while the harpoon is not. It is designed to injure.
                            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

I don't forsee it happening, but I really want to see the harpoon ship deploy their prop fouler and disable the Irwin. They said that was their 4th failed attempt to deploy it? They didn't even get it in front of the boat..and they have tried 4 times. It would be really funny if the huge harpoon ship did it right on the first try.

What I still don't get is why no actual athority type force is being used on the Japenese for illegaly whaling. Even if they are doing "research" their 90,000 whale quota is outrageous. Why can't the international whaling commision (which japan is a member of but 1 of 86) do something about this?

Scanning the IWC's website they seem to have a lot of concessions for Japanese whaling and looks like they have sided with the japanese on the antartic whaling issue and are against the confrontations.
                              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

So this is the first time I've watched this show. How do these idiots think they can get close to the whaling ship with their little crappy speed boats when they can't with the Irwin because of water cannons? Then going head on at the huge whaling ship? Morons. Even if they could do this and hit the whaling ship, why would the Japanese care if they got hit with one stink bomb? Big deal. It's like a mosquito.

Go Japanese! Kill those stupid whales!
                                Last edited by Dirty; 08-02-2009, 09:29 PM.
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X