Things to do in St Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do in St Paul

I know there are many people on here from the twin cities area so what better place to ask.

I will be in St Paul later this month for about a week for the American Fisheries Society conference. Staying downtown at the Crowne Plaza. Was wondering if anyone had recomendations for bars/restaraunts in the area that ideally would be walking distance from that area. Might be willing to drive a bit if its something really good.

Re: Things to do in St Paul

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    I know there are many people on here from the twin cities area so what better place to ask.

I will be in St Paul later this month for about a week for the American Fisheries Society conference. Staying downtown at the Crowne Plaza. Was wondering if anyone had recomendations for bars/restaraunts in the area that ideally would be walking distance from that area. Might be willing to drive a bit if its something really good.
    Mickey's.
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Do the bartenders at Allary's still dress the way they used to dress before the Winter Carnival Vulcans incident? If so, there'll be some sights to see and they generally come in pairs.

Walking distance from the Crowne, you're looking at what I consider a mostly dead downtown area. You have the Science Museum of MN, which generally caters towards a younger audience, and there's the history museum along Kellogg Blvd towards the Capitol Bldg. There's old cave tours along the Mississippi River, which were old Al Capone warehouses. I'm not sure which caves get tours, though, so that's something you'd have to look up.

The St. Paul Saints play over at Midway Stadium, you might want to check them out. http://sp1.glitnirticketing.com/spti...eb/ev_list.php

If you're here during the last part of the month, you can always check out the MN State Fair. It's one of the bigger ones in the country, really popular.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

All you need to know about the St Paul Saints can be found in this picture:
        *****http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2a/Saintspig.jpg/800px-Saintspig.jpg******
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

For eats, Mickey's duh. The Liffey is also very good. Reid's is fun, but I've only been there for hockey events (Wild and college hockey) and I'd have to imagine that it's meh otherwise. Great Waters Brewery is also quite good, and within walking distance of the Crowne.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Nice concentration of restaurants and bars just west of the Excel Center on West 7th Street ... from pubs to very nice Italian. I like to just walk and go into whatever smells tasty.
            Last edited by Farce Poobah; 08-08-2012, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
              Nice concentration of restaurants and bars just west of the Excel Center on West 6th Street ... from pubs to very nice Italian. I like to just walk and go into whatever smells tasty.
              West 7th.

Upscale dining, you can't go wrong with The St. Paul Grill. Get the bacon appetizer.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I actually heard about Mickey's a while back in an article I was reading. I do plan on trying to hit it up. Wont have time for a Saints game likely. Lots of meetings and talks that I need to be at. Have to check out the brewery. Always like to try local beers when I am at conferences.

Comment

I actually heard about Mickey's a while back in an article I was reading. I do plan on trying to hit it up. Wont have time for a Saints game likely. Lots of meetings and talks that I need to be at. Have to check out the brewery. Always like to try local beers when I am at conferences.
                  For local (mainstream)? Grain Belt, both the Premium and Nordeast. Yes, they are cheap. But hell, it's the best cheap beer you can find!

Locally real quality beers (does not necessarily reflect my tastes, but tastes in general): Surly, Summit, Schell's.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Cosettas is fantastic. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They're lying.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Cosettas is fantastic. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They're lying.
                      Hell yes. "Dancing Girl" got us to jump ahead of the line one year at the F5, since she used to work there. Double bonus. Very tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        For local (mainstream)? Grain Belt, both the Premium and Nordeast. Yes, they are cheap. But hell, it's the best cheap beer you can find!

Locally real quality beers (does not necessarily reflect my tastes, but tastes in general): Surly, Summit, Schell's.
                        The Summit brewery is located just down W 7th St about a mile, maybe two. They have tours with samples. Now might be a good time to get a sample or two of their Oktoberfest. Mmmm....
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

St. Paul also has the best Juicy Lucy, at Shamrock's. Everyone freaks about Matt's or the 5-8, but that is just hype off of "who invented it."
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

If you're just going to be staying around downtown St. Paul, there really isn't much more to be said. West 7th, Great Waters, St. Paul Grill and Allary's (just don't go there during a Bears game). I think St. Paul is dead unless there is an event going on.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              St. Paul also has the best Juicy Lucy, at Shamrock's. Everyone freaks about Matt's or the 5-8, but that is just hype off of "who invented it."
                              There are about 8 different places where I've heard "________ has the best Jucy Lucy, don't listen to the hype about ________"
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                              X