Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North American hockey fans interest in soccer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig P.
    replied
    Re: North American hockey fans interest in soccer?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    It would be easier if people just weren't whiny little *****es like Priceless was/is.
    It'd also help if people just weren't *******s, but they are, and they are.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm interested for the next two hours or so...

Footnote: Solo looks a lot better while playing than she does off the field.

Leave a comment:

• pirate
    replied

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...gue-in-america

MLS third in attendance behind football and baseball. Maybe 3 years ago I got into a nasty exchange on one of these threads with a guy saying soccer would NEVER become a major sport in the US...the demographic changes alone make that an idiotic statement...not to mention millions of people growing up playing the sport and becoming adults...I couldn't have named 1 kid played soccer in my grade school and in HS it was only football cuts that populated the team.

Now we've got millions of kids playing every weekend...they wont all grow up to be fans but they won't hate the sport and they will be willing to watch just like not all football and baseball fans were big athletes.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    It would be easier if people just weren't whiny little *****es like Priceless was/is.
    +1000

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    Probably was started by Priceless and went phoomph and disappeared when he did?

Incidentally, they need to make it hard (or impossible) for a thread originator to take down a well-populated thread.

Leave a comment:

• Craig P.
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Speaking of soccer, did the last World Soccer thread get nuked? It doesn't seem to exist anymore.
    Probably was started by Priceless and went phoomph and disappeared when he did?

Incidentally, they need to make it hard (or impossible) for a thread originator to take down a well-populated thread.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    1994? (the one in the US)
    yes sorry 1994, the US one...

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I remember vividly watching the 1992 world cup and getting hooked. Ivenever been able to get excited for club soccer unless it involves a great American player like Reyna, Dempsey or Donovan. I love world cup, gold cup and any USA national game. MLS has never interested me, probably because I don't have a team and the quality isn't there.
    1994? (the one in the US)

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

I remember vividly watching the 1992 world cup and getting hooked. Ivenever been able to get excited for club soccer unless it involves a great American player like Reyna, Dempsey or Donovan. I love world cup, gold cup and any USA national game. MLS has never interested me, probably because I don't have a team and the quality isn't there.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

I don't know how it came about, I got hooked on soccer in 2004 watching Arsenal's "invinceables" they were incredibly entertaining (38 game season, NO losses! but it was offense first, second and third with them, rarely boring).

Unless it's the Stanley Cup, I can't really fully enjoy ice hockey on television, I have to see it in person (or listen on the radio). The camera people just don't show the parts of the game I want to watch, how the players arrange themselves on the ice, etc. You can see that better in soccer because of the larger field, the camera usually pans further out and you can see the whole play develop. Imagine if televised soccer consisted mainly of closeups of the person with the ball...that's my general experience of televised ice hockey. I probably attend more games than I watch on television. Soccer it's just the opposite, I only have been to a few pro games but watch more on television.

Leave a comment:

• CLS
    replied

There is a real possibility for an interesting US – Canada rivalry on the women’s side if (1) the Canadians can show they’re not a one-woman team (winning goal by someone else today is encouraging), (2) instead of continuing to blame the ref, they realize that they could have won the game by doing things that they had total control over, like defending corners and headers, and (3) they win a game or two over the US; otherwise it's a “rivalry” like Red Sox – Yankees pre-2004.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I watch a couple EPL games a week, usually Fulham and any intra-league play among the Usual Suspects. I tried to watch Portland but the level of play in MLS is so bad and boring that I just couldn't do it.

More than any other sport (well, except golf I guess), the entertainment value of soccer correlates with the quality of play. Bad football can still be a lot of fun; bad baseball is nearly the same as good baseball; all hockey is great; all basketball sucks; but great soccer is riveting and anything less than very good soccer is unwatchable.
    I disagree with golf, some of the most entertaining golf is when one of the best in world takes 3 shots to get out of a pot bunker, or is in rough so deep the ball goes about 3 feet into deeper rough.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I watch a couple EPL games a week, usually Fulham and any intra-league play among the Usual Suspects. I tried to watch Portland but the level of play in MLS is so bad and boring that I just couldn't do it.

More than any other sport (well, except golf I guess), the entertainment value of soccer correlates with the quality of play. Bad football can still be a lot of fun; bad baseball is nearly the same as good baseball; all hockey is great; all basketball sucks; but great soccer is riveting and anything less than very good soccer is unwatchable.

Leave a comment:

• Flashy Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Me, I thought everybody on the field was terrible and I'm not surprised they lost.
    Flounders fans aren't supposed to be rational.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I watch the EPl weekly and root for Liverpool, and my best friend is a former european D1 pro and now very successful coach here.. I watch the US national teams when I can and the women as well, though not too much MLS.My only beef about the game is all the diving.

I'll take Hope any time.
    I like most sports but Cricket takes too long.
    20/20 cricket takes about 3 hrs. It's the only cricket I'llwatch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X