Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North American hockey fans interest in soccer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North American hockey fans interest in soccer?

When I was in Sweden a few weeks ago, I was there with a colleague from the UK, and he was all high and mighty about soccer and talking about how we just don't get it. He made a comment abount how soccer is the most popular sport in every country but the US, which is wildly inaccurate. To try to prove this too me, for some reason, he started to strike up a conversation with our bartender about soccer, and how great it was. I just shook my head, and knowing that we were in Sweden, I had the upper hand...I cut in and brought up hockey. Bartender dude said, and I quote, "Soccer is good, but there is nothing better than hockey!!!". Then we proceded to talk about world juniors for about 20 minutes. My coworker was dumbfounded.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Nope. And besides, if its a beach, there should be scenery regardless of sport, or lack of sport they're playing. Personally, I'd park my lawn chair cooler approximately 20 feet from a volleyball net.
      I hope off to one side! else you would be in the middle of the court!
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        I hope off to one side! else you would be in the middle of the court!
        Well, yeah. I prefer the profile view.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          Alex Morgan > Hope Solo.

I'll watch the US during international competition (Olympics and World Cup). After that, no interest really. I think there are quite a few soccer fans on here, JimJamesak being probably the most well known, so to speak.
          Yay! I'm well known for something!

I'll take Solo. Alex Morgan's boyfriend is a player for Seattle and I don't wanna derail team morale.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            Since, it is the off season I wanted to see the opinions of posters on USCHO. Please soccer haters stay out. We already know what you think. YWNWA

People who play/understand cricket think it is a great sport...for the unaware it is stupid, confusing and painfully long.

We could go out on another board and find hundreds of commentors willing to tell us hockey is stupid, impossible to follow the puck, the rules make no sense, there is hardly any scoring. (sound familiar?)

We've all met somebody at a party that thinks football is barbaric and is all about beer and cheerleaders (like that is bad).

We all know somebody that thinks boxing should be outlawed.

We all know somebody that thinks hockey is a bunch of thugs on ice.

Just like some people would prefer a 1-0 baseball game and others would prefer 13-11...it takes a certain appreciation for any sport. (except women's beach volleyball - we all love that).

If you hate soccer, don't watch it...just assume the millions who play and hundreds of millions who watch are all wrong. It couldnt be the other way around.

If you haven't really seen it, try to go to a college game or a really good HS or club game...when you see it played up close and at a high level, the game is more likely to make a positive impression.
            I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

i watch epl on espn saturday mornings during the winter. love it. consider myself a nufc fan.

i don't watch any other league however.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I'll watch pretty much any national team soccer, so World Cup, Euro, Olympics, USA national team games. I'll watch a little professional, mainly EPL, but that's about 4 or 5 full matches a year. Other than that all my interest is in FIFA. I play a lot of FIFA.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I watch the EPl weekly and root for Liverpool, and my best friend is a former european D1 pro and now very successful coach here.. I watch the US national teams when I can and the women as well, though not too much MLS.My only beef about the game is all the diving.

I'll take Hope any time.
                  I like most sports but Cricket takes too long.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Apparently Priceless did delete the old soccer thread because I can't find it.

That riot you hear is Seattle after losing the US Open Cup Final after 5 yellows, 1 red, a PK against (KC's only goal), and a PK shootout save called back and retaken.

Needless to say, Seattle is PO'd. Me, I thought everybody on the field was terrible and I'm not surprised they lost.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I watch the EPl weekly and root for Liverpool, and my best friend is a former european D1 pro and now very successful coach here.. I watch the US national teams when I can and the women as well, though not too much MLS.My only beef about the game is all the diving.

I'll take Hope any time.
                      I like most sports but Cricket takes too long.
                      20/20 cricket takes about 3 hrs. It's the only cricket I'llwatch.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        Me, I thought everybody on the field was terrible and I'm not surprised they lost.
                        Flounders fans aren't supposed to be rational.
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I watch a couple EPL games a week, usually Fulham and any intra-league play among the Usual Suspects. I tried to watch Portland but the level of play in MLS is so bad and boring that I just couldn't do it.

More than any other sport (well, except golf I guess), the entertainment value of soccer correlates with the quality of play. Bad football can still be a lot of fun; bad baseball is nearly the same as good baseball; all hockey is great; all basketball sucks; but great soccer is riveting and anything less than very good soccer is unwatchable.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            I watch a couple EPL games a week, usually Fulham and any intra-league play among the Usual Suspects. I tried to watch Portland but the level of play in MLS is so bad and boring that I just couldn't do it.

More than any other sport (well, except golf I guess), the entertainment value of soccer correlates with the quality of play. Bad football can still be a lot of fun; bad baseball is nearly the same as good baseball; all hockey is great; all basketball sucks; but great soccer is riveting and anything less than very good soccer is unwatchable.
                            I disagree with golf, some of the most entertaining golf is when one of the best in world takes 3 shots to get out of a pot bunker, or is in rough so deep the ball goes about 3 feet into deeper rough.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

There is a real possibility for an interesting US – Canada rivalry on the women’s side if (1) the Canadians can show they’re not a one-woman team (winning goal by someone else today is encouraging), (2) instead of continuing to blame the ref, they realize that they could have won the game by doing things that they had total control over, like defending corners and headers, and (3) they win a game or two over the US; otherwise it's a “rivalry” like Red Sox – Yankees pre-2004.

Comment

I don't know how it came about, I got hooked on soccer in 2004 watching Arsenal's "invinceables" they were incredibly entertaining (38 game season, NO losses! but it was offense first, second and third with them, rarely boring).

Unless it's the Stanley Cup, I can't really fully enjoy ice hockey on television, I have to see it in person (or listen on the radio). The camera people just don't show the parts of the game I want to watch, how the players arrange themselves on the ice, etc. You can see that better in soccer because of the larger field, the camera usually pans further out and you can see the whole play develop. Imagine if televised soccer consisted mainly of closeups of the person with the ball...that's my general experience of televised ice hockey. I probably attend more games than I watch on television. Soccer it's just the opposite, I only have been to a few pro games but watch more on television.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X