Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North American hockey fans interest in soccer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North American hockey fans interest in soccer?

Originally posted by Coog
    Both hockey and soccer are to be regarded as minor sports in the US. As I see it, the sports share some similarities. The objective is to put the puck/ball in a net. The most popular american sports are played in short bursts of action while hockey and soccer are more free flowing games. Both sports also, are relatively low scoring compared to other US sports.

So naturally I’m curious about if there’s any interest from the American and Canadian hockey crowds in soccer? Seems natural you, if any, would fins some interest in it.
    Since, it is the off season I wanted to see the opinions of posters on USCHO. Please soccer haters stay out. We already know what you think. YWNWA
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: North American hockey fans interest in soccer?

You want to know if people on the board like soccer? Or do you want to know if we think hockey and soccer are similar?

Speaking of soccer, did the last World Soccer thread get nuked? It doesn't seem to exist anymore.
    Last edited by JF_Gophers; 08-07-2012, 09:26 PM.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

You ask a question about interest, and yet only want people who like soccer to post....

which is it?

I have 1% interest in soccer (maybe catch 5 minutes of a World Cup game). 2% if you include Hope Solo in the soccer discussion (pics required).
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

What about Alex Morgan?
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          What about Alex Morgan?
          *****http://wizbangblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/hs-alex-morgan02-500x739.jpg******

Does have the edge over Solo in that she hasn't openly admitted to being defiled by Vince Vaughn.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            What about Alex Morgan?
            That right there is the Olympic soccer version of Ginger/Mary Ann. The correct answer is obviously yes, but that can never be attained. So I go with Hope. Something about those eyes seal the deal.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              You ask a question about interest, and yet only want people who like soccer to post....

which is it?

I have 1% interest in soccer (maybe catch 5 minutes of a World Cup game). 2% if you include Hope Solo in the soccer discussion (pics required).
              Alex Morgan > Hope Solo.

I'll watch the US during international competition (Olympics and World Cup). After that, no interest really. I think there are quite a few soccer fans on here, JimJamesak being probably the most well known, so to speak.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Just because:

http://thechive.com/2011/07/18/hope-...gan-26-photos/

Comment

There are a few fans on the board. I'm a big EPL (Man United is my team) fan. I know UNH GH likes Pompey and there are fans of Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Fulham and other sides on this board.
                  Twitter: DanMountSports
                  2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Alex Morgan. No doubter for me.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

So I get Hope to myself? Ohhhh......okay. I suppose I'll step up for you guys and jump on the grenade.

Comment

Hope:Ginger Alex:Mary Ann

You really can't go wrong unless you want to marry the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Hope:Ginger Alex:Mary Ann

You really can't go wrong unless you want to marry the wrong one.
                          I figured most would make that comparison, and it's odd, because I prefer Mary Ann.

Comment

Which one got the SI gig??

Most of the time I won't watch soccer unless it's a big event like the FA final, World Cup ( either sex) or a European tournament.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              That right there is the Olympic soccer version of Ginger/Mary Ann. The correct answer is obviously yes, but that can never be attained. So I go with Hope. Something about those eyes seal the deal.
                              This has Facebook written all over it.

That little something about Hope Solo's eyes would burn your house down if you ever crossed her.

And for the record, I wouldn't quibble between Hope and Alex.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X