Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bronconick
    replied
    Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Turns out she had insurance from her own job. Nice
    "To that point, if people had been in Massachusetts, under Governor Romney's health care plan, they would have had health care," Andrea Saul, Romney's campaign press secretary, said during an appearance on Fox News. "There are a lot of people losing their jobs and losing their health care in President [Barack] Obama's economy."
    So...now Obamacare is a good thing? Good to know, Mittster. I think there's a toe on your left foot that your campaign hasn't shot off.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    How noble of you to go out of business and cost all your remaining employees their jobs too.

I still don't understand how raising taxes on the rich solves any of our problems?? no one has yet offered a credible explanation of why this issue is anything other than a distraction.

Go ahead, raise taxes on the rich, then what? every other economic problem we face still remains and has become even MORE acute than it was earlier!

so Obama demagogs his way into a second term with smoke mirrors and sleight of hand. now what? taxes are up, incomes are down, unemployment is still way too high....

Seriously, genius, how does raising taxes on the rich do anything to solve unemployment? how does it increase economic growth? how does it make the US more competitive? how does it upgrade the defensive capacity of the armed forces while cutting their budget? how does it improve energy exploration or delivery?

raising taxes on the rich will not even raise enough money to cover the increase in interest payable on the national debt once interest rates start to rise again.

I know, we'l raise taxes on the rich even more! oops, there aren't any rich left after 100% marginal income tax rates....now what?
    Some people haven't done the math to realize that the rich don't have enough income to tax to fix our fiscal problems. And I say this as someone who agrees with some level of tax increase, especially for the rich, as part of addressing our fiscal crisis. As with so many things, it's a feel good political argument for the lefties.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    That's got to be one of the funniest things you've ever said.
    Funny how? It's true. Pure Capitalism works as well as Pure Democracy does. Thank God the US doesn't use either.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    How noble of you to go out of business and cost all your remaining employees their jobs too.

I still don't understand how raising taxes on the rich solves any of our problems?? no one has yet offered a credible explanation of why this issue is anything other than a distraction.

Go ahead, raise taxes on the rich, then what? every other economic problem we face still remains and has become even MORE acute than it was earlier!

so Obama demagogs his way into a second term with smoke mirrors and sleight of hand. now what? taxes are up, incomes are down, unemployment is still way too high....

Seriously, genius, how does raising taxes on the rich do anything to solve unemployment? how does it increase economic growth? how does it make the US more competitive? how does it upgrade the defensive capacity of the armed forces while cutting their budget? how does it improve energy exploration or delivery?

raising taxes on the rich will not even raise enough money to cover the increase in interest payable on the national debt once interest rates start to rise again.

I know, we'l raise taxes on the rich even more! oops, there aren't any rich left after 100% marginal income tax rates....now what?
    I'm more than happy to educate you Fishy. You certainly need it and like a good liberal I'm always here to help. You could work on your manners a little bit when you ask for something but no big deal...

Question: How does raising taxes on the rich solve any problems?

Answer: Country's ability to pay its obligations has fallen out of whack from balanced yearly budgets of late 1990's pre Bush II era (no, he doesn't get credit for his first year which he inherited Clinton's budget). This has happened for several reasons. 1) Economic slowdown, 2) Gimmicky tax cuts, and 3) Spending, primarily on wars.

So, putting aside #1 for a minute, lets take the second one. Get rid of idiotic Bush tax cuts, which include tax reductions on the rich to raise revenues more in line with spending. Notion that this will kill economy is stark raving stupid, as economy was booming the last time these rates were in place. By merely canning top level ones approx 300B can be raised to close approx 1T a year deficit.

#3) Spending: Winding down wartime spending plus other military reductions nets another 250B. Don't need two zillion bases around the world nor next generation fighter that is billions over budget. Need to find another 200B in cuts to domestic programs which can be found by eliminating needless farm subsidies, oil tax breaks, tort reform and fraud crackdown on Medicare/Medicaid, etc.

Back to #1) Economic growth even at 2% should make up the difference to get yearly budget back in balance. Why does this matter? Because with most other countries in the world either economic basket cases or unstable dictatorships investors need a safe haven to invest their money. Like the 1990's with US fiscal house in order say hello to economic growth and markets crave stability, especially in this day and age. With the influx of revenue + spending reductions job producing programs of energy independence (tax credit for mandatory switchover of trucking industry to natural gas) and cleaning up mortgage mess (allowing homeowners who's mortgages are owned by govt agencies to refinance at today's rates if they're current on their payments) can be brought to fruition. By raising taxes on people who clearly aren't investing their extra tax break money back into the US or we'd be living in boomtimes these last 12 years, you fulfill one piece of the three legged stool of getting the economy back on track.

Leave a comment:

• Old Pio
    replied

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Turns out she had insurance from her own job. Nice
    And Romney "killed" her five or six years after her husband's plant was closed. I assume His Panderness wouldn't want that standard applied to workers at GM dealerships who lost THEIR jobs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X