Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Nobody who spends $$$$$$ than they make gives a crap about their revenue stream
    If that's the criterion then we're talking about both parties.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    You're 100% correct.

A managed bankruptcy would have been the end of GM.
    I'm really not that close to it to know if that's true.

But if it was true, then I'm confident that saving GM/Chrysler would have turn have turned out to be the right move based on the size of crater it would have left and it happening during the worst of the crisis.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    While mulling over my General Tso's, I realised something: The government promotes bad behaviour because their revenue stream depends on it.
    Nobody who spends $$$$$$ than they make gives a crap about their revenue stream

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    IIRC, the auto bailout was during the height of the credit freeze, and if the government hadn't jumped in, the common belief was that the only thing that was going to happen was all the equipment and factories being sold for scrap metal because no one else was willing or even able to make that kind of financial gamble at that moment in time.

It could be my left wing tilted memory, but I thought I remember something like that being debated.
    You're 100% correct.

A managed bankruptcy would have been the end of GM.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Well, if you think that No Bailout = complete shutdown of GM and all its subsidiaries and suppliers, then you're starting from a pretty low bar. We'll never know what would have happened, so it will forever be a data vs. speculation comparison, which are never satisfying.
    IIRC, the auto bailout was during the height of the credit freeze, and if the government hadn't jumped in, the common belief was that the only thing that was going to happen was all the equipment and factories being sold for scrap metal because no one else was willing or even able to make that kind of financial gamble at that moment in time.

It could be my left wing tilted memory, but I thought I remember something like that being debated.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Well, if you think that No Bailout = complete shutdown of GM and all its subsidiaries and suppliers, then you're starting from a pretty low bar. We'll never know what would have happened, so it will forever be a data vs. speculation comparison, which are never satisfying.
    Yes, that's my point.

It worked compared to catastrophic failure. The question of whether that would really have happened without it is now one for experts and ideologues to debate for as long as the sun continues to shine.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    Seriously? You think it worked?

Leave a comment:

• huskyfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I see what you are saying, but I guess the question is whether we were willing to risk the worst outcome, particularly at a time when the whole rest of the economy looked like it was collapsing.

The bailout is one of those things whose success undermines its rationale. After the fact, when things stabilize, it looks unnecessary. I assume 50 years from now economists will still be fighting about whether it was necessary. About all we know for sure is that it worked.
    Seriously? You think it worked?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I agree that the *impacts* of GM shutting down would have been huge. The part you're overstating is the probability that that would have happened without the bailout.
    I see what you are saying, but I guess the question is whether we were willing to risk the worst outcome, particularly at a time when the whole rest of the economy looked like it was collapsing.

The bailout is one of those things whose success undermines its rationale. After the fact, when things stabilize, it looks unnecessary. I assume 50 years from now economists will still be fighting about whether it was necessary. About all we know for sure is that it worked.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

While mulling over my General Tso's, I realised something: The government promotes bad behaviour because their revenue stream depends on it.

Leave a comment:

• geezer
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Do you guys have jobs or anything? Seriously I swear you all wake up and post before even brushing your teeth let alone getting any work done at your "jobs"
    ...asks the guy with 25,900 posts.

Leave a comment:

• geezer
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Originally posted by Gov. Christie
    “the American people are ready to confront those problems head-on and endure some sacrifice.”
    Romney will earn my vote if he can convincingly align himself with Christie, Ryan, Walker, etc. as someone willing to make unpopular choices and ask Americans to sacrifice now to save the future. Unfortunately, it appears that nobody is willing to ask that of defense contractors and the lords of the Pentagon. But we've got to start somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Do you guys have jobs or anything? Seriously I swear you all wake up and post before even brushing your teeth let alone getting any work done at your "jobs"

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    No, I don't think I'm overstating the impact of GM shutting down operations at all.
    I agree that the *impacts* of GM shutting down would have been huge. The part you're overstating is the probability that that would have happened without the bailout.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

It's not over till the fat lady sings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X