Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    um...Obama cut over $700 billion from Medicare to fund PPACA, no?

My thoughts are that you are setting up a bogus "argument" in the first place. Please show me where anyone has suggested cutting Medicare? The premium support model says take the money that is already being spent anyway and spent it more effectively. You have not explained how that equates to a "cut" when the funding level stays the same.

Also, please show me where anyone has proposed tax cuts for the rich. the proposal is that we make the tax code more growth-friendly by using revenue-neutral adjustments: there's a one-for-one trade-off between fewer deductions and lower rates, so that revenue is the same either way but one rewards productivity instead of being well-connected to a special-interest Congressman. Where is the "cut" here?

So you raise two phantoms, neither of which has been proposed, and then ask someone why your phantoms have no substance?

or are you a Democratic speechwriter testing out material?
    Obama's "cuts" are made up of givebacks from the pharma and hospital industries that Medicare would have paid for otherwise. You do recall them being on board, right? Its not being made up of screwing granny out of her Medicare.

Next, freezing health care expenditures as a block grant, while health care costs go up even if only at the rate of inflation = a cut in Medicare. Worse, the cut doesn't affect the people who are using it the most, those over 55. Again, why is exempting them a good idea.

Lastly, cutting the top tax rate from 35% to 25% is a tax cut for the rich. Why you're struggling with this concept is beyond me but I'm thinking the voters are going to educate you on this concept come Nov 6th.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      This is what happens when the attention whores want you to believe that they're victims.
      How did this become about Palin?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        How did this become about Palin?
        Isn't she the poster child for the Tea Party? It's always been about her.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Sorry, we've been too busy beating our wives. Have you stopped that yet?
          If she wants me to quit, she needs to use the safe word
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Not the RNC, though. They sure as heck weren't interested in having her speak at their convention.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

8-0-2 in the RS the prior 5 years, though...
              And your historically highly touted goaltender lost to a team that was ready to go D-III, too...

Comment

While she's had some identification with the Tea Party, I don't think it's remotely every been about her. Much more of a grass roots thing, and she got involved at some point.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  With all the caveman activity out here I'm curious why nobody has answered how using Medicare cuts to fund tax cuts for the rich benefits the rest of us? Also why do people over 55 get a free ride?

Thoughts?
                  No bites huh? I heard yesterday the salmon were hitting near the scum line in about 200' and 50°.

Could it be that the argument has no basis in fact?
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I'd really like it if Mitt Romney would answer this question. Apparently he won't answer ANY questions on the differences between he and Ryan's Medicare plans.
                    This came up on CNN this morning...Sununu outlined 2 differences while arguing with the host. I apologize for not remembering the details but he said in some section, Ryan's plan is more like Obama's* and Romney differs from both of them on that issue (out of hundreds).

Maybe we could come up with a new government department and a 5 year plan to spend $100million coming up with a grading system similar to crude oil, steaks or diamonds to measure and denote the similarities of two legislative proposals and then declare them 73.4% the same.

* so clearly it is Obama's plan
                    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      I still can't decide whether I think the auto bailouts were a good idea, so I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I do think you're really overstating your case. Who knows if there even would have been layoffs without the bailout? Companies go bankrupt all the time and continue operations until they can find new investors or work their way through restructuring their debt. The auto companies are only "profitable" now because a huge portion of their debt was swept off the books and into taxpayers' pockets. A normal bankruptcy would have also swept debt off the books, but the liability would have fallen onto their shareholders, pensioners, unions, etc, rather than the general public. "Every employee in the auto industry would have been laid off!!!!!!1!!11!!!" is an incredibly unrealistic strawman and is not useful for comparison purposes.
                      No, I don't think I'm overstating the impact of GM shutting down operations at all. I believe would have been devatstating in all the ways I stated. Having said that and to your point, I don't know for sure that a shut down is what would have happened. In fact, none of us in the public will ever know this and unfortunately, need to trust those close to those making the decisions to run the scenarios and determine likely outcomes. The problem is that in the end, the stakes were so high as we were at a critical fork in where the country was headed.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        Could it be that the argument has no basis in fact?
                        No, that's his plan. Just spreading the truth out here as a public service!
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

It's not over till the fat lady sings.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            No, I don't think I'm overstating the impact of GM shutting down operations at all.
                            I agree that the *impacts* of GM shutting down would have been huge. The part you're overstating is the probability that that would have happened without the bailout.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Do you guys have jobs or anything? Seriously I swear you all wake up and post before even brushing your teeth let alone getting any work done at your "jobs"
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Gov. Christie
                                “the American people are ready to confront those problems head-on and endure some sacrifice.”
                                Romney will earn my vote if he can convincingly align himself with Christie, Ryan, Walker, etc. as someone willing to make unpopular choices and ask Americans to sacrifice now to save the future. Unfortunately, it appears that nobody is willing to ask that of defense contractors and the lords of the Pentagon. But we've got to start somewhere.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X