Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Very shortsighted.

What are the tax revenues of all GM employees?
    What are the tax revenues of GM?
    What are the tax revenues of the employees all the subsidiaries and suppliers of GM?
    What are the tax revenues of the subsidiary and supplier companies themselves?
    What are the tax revenues of companies and employees of companies in communities of where all the above people spend?

What would the unemployment benefits and public costs of retraining of all GM employees?
    What would the unemployment benefits and public costs of retraining all of the employees all the subsidiaries and suppliers of GM?
    What would have been additional costs to the communities of all of these folks being unemployed?

Couple that with the fact that there is no way the country could have dealt with this type of financial and psychological jolt at the peak of the crisis. Now way.

So get back once you know the true cost/benefit of saving GM/Chrysler.
    No, no, no, no.

Bankruptcy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will trickle down. Don't worry.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Religious liberty. Yeah, didn't see this coming...
      Is "Vedism" real? Sounds more like an isolated mental illness than a growing religious movement.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Anytime anything goes wrong, Obama is there with the national checkbook promising to help out. Great for the folks that get checks written to them and Obama's reelection chances. Horrible for the nation's finances long term. But, he knows it'll help him get reelected because Americans can't see past the next check someone will write them and they generally don't ask how much they actually deserve to get money out of the nation's coffers.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          Anytime anything goes wrong, Obama is there with the national checkbook promising to help out. Great for the folks that get checks written to them and Obama's reelection chances. Horrible for the nation's finances long term. But, he knows it'll help him get reelected because Americans can't see past the next check someone will write them and they generally don't ask how much they actually deserve to get money out of the nation's coffers.
          Really? I didn't get all the money back that I lost in 2008-2009. Where's my check?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            Is "Vedism" real? Sounds more like an isolated mental illness than a growing religious movement.
            Vedism is real, but this guy doesn't sound a lot like a scholar of ancient Indian Vedic philosophical texts.

Then again, most "Christians" claiming their religious liberty to not honor the law don't sound much like followers of Christ, either.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Very shortsighted.

What are the tax revenues of the employees all the subsidiaries and suppliers of GM?
              What are the tax revenues of companies and employees of companies in communities of where all the above people spend?

What would the unemployment benefits and public costs of retraining of all GM employees?
              What would the unemployment benefits and public costs of retraining all of the employees all the subsidiaries and suppliers of GM?
              What would have been additional costs to the communities of all of these folks being unemployed?

Couple that with the fact that there is no way the country could have dealt with this type of financial and psychological jolt at the peak of the crisis. No way.

So get back once you know the true cost/benefit of saving GM and Chrysler.
              I can't begin to pretend all those things are calculable. But while they make compelling talking points (put forth by the few who actually benefited from the taxpayer bailouts), they miss a lot of things that should be given, just by common sense. For example why is it always assumed that if GM restructured under bankruptcy that 100% of the employees of the original company would never find another job? Why is it always taken as a given that every supplier of GM products would also lose every other customer and also go out of business and that 100% of their employees would also be unqualified to go work anywhere else? Why is it a public cost to "retrain" them for another job? Could it be that the market doesn't support what they were doing? And why is it assumed that, given that the employees of GM and all its suppliers are apparently unqualified to ever work anywhere else (which is really a bizarre claim if you stop to think about it), why is it a "cost to the communities" to pay their unemployment benefits? We're all in that boat.
              These are all great talking points, but they have no basis in the realities of what happens under bankruptcy. The reality is that the effects of the bailout are many times worse economically, fiscally, morally, and politically than the worst that could have happened under bankruptcy. Assuming you favor a democratic process of government. There are very few rich people in government and union organizing that benefited from the taxpayer bailouts. The rest of us will be paying that bill for years to come.
              Here's hoping it never happens again. I'm not optimistic.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Really? I didn't get all the money back that I lost in 2008-2009. Where's my check?
                Don't hold your breath. You'd have to go break a bunch of kneecaps at UAW headquarters to ever see a dime of that money again.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                  Don't hold your breath. You'd have to go break a bunch of kneecaps at UAW headquarters to ever see a dime of that money again.
                  Screwed again I guess.

Comment

Vedism is real, but this guy doesn't sound a lot like a scholar of ancient Indian Vedic philosophical texts.

Then again, most "Christians" claiming their religious liberty to not honor the law don't sound much like followers of Christ, either.
                    I agree that if the story had happened to be about a Christian then this would be true. Most "Christians" give Christians a bad name. It's just the way it is, but also as prophesied.

Comment

Your check is in the mail.

However, if you send me your social security number and date of birth, I'll help track it down for you.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Very shortsighted.

Couple that with the fact that there is no way the country could have dealt with this type of financial and psychological jolt at the peak of the crisis. No way.

So get back once you know the true cost/benefit of saving GM and Chrysler.
                        They would have all eight of the questions you just asked if, after the IPO was made, the government decided to immediately sell its GM shares (or as early as legally able). Your claim has no relevance on the holding of shares.

Comment

All depends on the situation my friend. An obvious example which I assume you support is folks like Dietrich Boenhoffer in Nazi Germany. There are times when one must follow one's conscience rather than a given nation's laws at a given time. But, of course, those shouldn't be regular events, but relatively rare exceptions.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

You just need to somehow configure yourself into a special interest. Then the money will start rolling in.
                            Very well, said.
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

You received two of them. Remember that "Making Work Pay" credit on your tax form?

Comment

Corporations are people my friend.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X