Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Another "success story" of the green energy market and hybrid vehicles: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/read...a-parking-lot/

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      How about you answer the **** question. I've only asked it like 4 times in the last day. What do you do to the people who inevitably will waste or squander their health care?

Incentives is not an answer. There are always those who miss the cues or ignore the incentives for any number of reasons. Besides, if you make them pay more, what about those who can't afford to pay more?

There are lots of people out there who are dumb, unlucky, or simply bad planners. How does your mythical system treat them?

if I thought you were genuinely interested in learning, I might reply more thoughtfully. Your tone comes across as so pugnacious, I'm tempted merely to ignore you and walk away....though I am flattered that you consider my opinion worth soliciting.

So, despite my reluctance, I'll give a partial answer.

Suppose you have a teen-ager, son or daughter, and you give them a credit card to use in emergencies, but only for emergencies. then they run the card up to the limit. what do you do with them?

What I would do with my teens in that situation is how I'd handle the problem you present.
      Last edited by FreshFish; 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        How about you answer the **** question. I've only asked it like 4 times in the last day. What do you do to the people who inevitably will waste or squander their health care?
        Still rewarding and encouraging bad behaviour, I see...

If we were under your idea, it'd behoove me to not be healthy!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Still rewarding and encouraging bad behaviour, I see...

If we were under your idea, it'd behoove me to not be healthy!
          So, you want to punish bad behavior? Cause I'm all for that. First thing we can do is take health insurance away from everyone who smokes, drinks, or does any illegal drugs. That will save us billions, maybe trillions right there.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            So, you want to punish bad behavior? Cause I'm all for that. First thing we can do is take health insurance away from everyone who smokes, drinks, or does any illegal drugs. That will save us billions, maybe trillions right there.
            I'm not sure about "taking it away." At one time, people who smoked tobacco did pay higher health insurance rates, and I think that's a good idea. I also think overweight people should pay higher health insurance rates. Our healthplan does it through a backdoor: if you go to the gym twice a week for six months, our health insurance plan sends you $100.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Or dump it altogether. The system doesn't work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                I'm not sure about "taking it away." At one time, people who smoked tobacco did pay higher health insurance rates, and I think that's a good idea. I also think overweight people should pay higher health insurance rates. Our healthplan does it through a backdoor: if you go to the gym twice a week for six months, our health insurance plan sends you $100.
                The higher rates don't offset the cost. So, you're rewarding bad behavior just in a different way. You really want to get the costs down then you need to start offering some real consequences for peoples actions. Good luck.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The higher rates don't offset the cost. So, you're rewarding bad behavior just in a different way. You really want to get the costs down then you need to start offering some real consequences for peoples actions. Good luck.
                  Good to hear we're on the same wavelength. Why would we even need this sort of a system at all? The most effective way to offer real consequences for people's actions is to eliminate the safety net. This is why low-risk healthy people don't buy this sort of a product.

Comment

Barry still holds 500 million shares of GM that he paid for with our money as a way of buying the loyalty of his pet jack-booted UAW thugs and prolonging the bubble in order to make the coming crash all the more painful. He would have to sell them at $53 to get our money back; they are worth 20 bucks. Everybody wish harder for hope and change. Or just bend way over and pull Barry's lever again.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Well-played, George Will. Quoting Martin Luther King Jr.

In his “Letter from Birmingham Jail,” King wrote, “You speak of our activity in Birmingham as extreme. . . But though I was initially disappointed at being categorized as an extremist, as I continued to think about the matter I gradually gained a measure of satisfaction from the label. Was not Jesus an extremist for love. . . Was not Amos an extremist for justice. . . Perhaps the South, the nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists.”
                      Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz23WuHXQ12

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        Barry still holds 500 million shares of GM that he paid for with our money as a way of buying the loyalty of his pet jack-booted UAW thugs and prolonging the bubble in order to make the coming crash all the more painful. He would have to sell them at $53 to get our money back; they are worth 20 bucks. Everybody wish harder for hope and change. Or just bend way over and pull Barry's lever again.
                        Should have let them go under. At least one poster has stated that every dollar of the bank bailout was worth it but we should have let GM go under. Who am I to argue? That's classic trickle down. Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney are both smart guys and that's exactly what they're proposing.

Comment

And especially considering there's no dividend, it's straight buy-sell to make some bank. http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GM&ql=1

Oh, but it's probably still Wall Street's or speculator's faults. Especially when since you're dealing with an auction-style trade, of course momentum can drive prices up or down.

Comment

Should have let them go under.
                            exactly. A normal bankruptcy might have cost O some campaign donations from the fat cats he bailed out, but it would have saved every John Doe taxpayer these extra payments to the union for the next x number of years. Once again it's the few with connections screwing over everyone else who are forced to pay their way.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Religious liberty. Yeah, didn't see this coming...
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Very shortsighted.

What are the tax revenues of all GM employees?
                                What are the tax revenues of GM?
                                What are the tax revenues of the employees all the subsidiaries and suppliers of GM?
                                What are the tax revenues of the subsidiary and supplier companies themselves?
                                What are the tax revenues of companies and employees of companies in communities of where all the above people spend?

What would the unemployment benefits and public costs of retraining of all GM employees?
                                What would the unemployment benefits and public costs of retraining all of the employees all the subsidiaries and suppliers of GM?
                                What would have been additional costs to the communities of all of these folks being unemployed?

Couple that with the fact that there is no way the country could have dealt with this type of financial and psychological jolt at the peak of the crisis. No way.

So get back once you know the true cost/benefit of saving GM and Chrysler.
                                Last edited by 5mn_Major; 08-14-2012, 09:38 AM.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X