Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Which, even if true, is more effort than your party makes toward fiscal responsibility. So, tell me, is fiscal responsibility at all important to you in how our nation is run and how we pick our leaders?
    Not necessarily true. Countless times before we've shown graphs over time of deficits. Don't have the charts here...but they can be reproduced yet again. But they largely show the deficit balooned under Reagan and W. And we almost balanced the budget under Clinton. Its hard to say what would have happened under Obama if the administration had been handed a healthy economy. There's no question that there has been a period where the private sector did not spend so some govt spending has patched us over...while he also inherited decimated govt revenues. So the GOP has never shown itself to be any more fiscally prudent than the dems when they actually have a chance to be so.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Where were they when Bush was running the system into the ground?

Paul Ryan is a fine example. He rubber stamped EVERYTHING that Bush did. And we're to believe that he's fiscally sane? No, I don't think so.
      It's kind of insane that there are two Senators and a House Rep in the 4 major slots. You end up with scenarios where the Republicans ran ads including Senator Obama's speech against Bush's raising of the debt ceiling and you have "fiscal conservative, budget hawk" Paul Ryan and his rubber stamp for unfunded mandates, tax cuts, wars and increased spending.

Most of these morons basically traded scripts in January 2009. The only ones we're left unsure of are the Tea Party folks, and would they continue to be a pain in the *** of any spending with a guy with a (R) at 1600 Pennsylvania. I kind of think they would be, given how much of a migraine they routinely give Boehner.
      Last edited by bronconick; 08-13-2012, 11:09 AM.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Not necessarily true. Countless times before we've shown graphs over time of deficits. Don't have the charts here...but they can be reproduced yet again. But they largely show the deficit balooned under Reagan and W. And we almost balanced the budget under Clinton. Its hard to say what would have happened under Obama if the administration had been handed a healthy economy. There's no question that there has been a period where the private sector did not spend so some govt spending has patched us over...while he also inherited decimated govt revenues. So the GOP has never shown itself to be any more fiscally prudent than the dems when they actually have a chance to be so.
        So, again, what's your interest in fiscal responsibility, if you have any?
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
          There are a lot of Republicans who are happy to say that we're screwed if we don't dial spending back. There are two issues there. First is that they're in a mad rush to do it right now, immediately, regardless of the economic consequences (to the credit of some, they subscribe to the Austrian school, so they come by their position honestly, even if I think it's terribly wrong-headed). Second is that their willingness to make admissions only extends as far as dialing back spending. They remain steadfastly unwilling to admit that we're all screwed if we don't return taxation to rational levels (or we'll have to return to a 1900-style social contract, which is great for the robber baron social darwinists but bad for just about everyone else).
          Basically we're shafted either way. The economy isn't that strong right now, but if we stopped our $1.2 trillion a year deficit spending (which is juicing up the economy in a huge way) in a substantive way, it'd result in a major economic downturn. If we don't reign in the every growing deficit spending, we ruin our nation's financial, undercut the dollar, etc. Not an appealing choice. So, I can understand that the easiest thing is keep spending way more than the feds take in and hope somehow things get better down the road, knowing that all signs point to the fact that they won't.
          Very well, said.
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

My thoughts:

Putting aside partisan leanings for a minute, this is the pick Romney needed to make. As I said months ago out here, if he's going to own Ryan's budget he might as well have Ryan on the ticket. For once I think conventional wisdom was correct in that Romney needed to do something to shake up the race. Mission accomplished.

I'll also say this kills once and for all the "there's no difference in parties" schtick we get out of the usual loons every election year. There is a clear choice of how you want the country to be governed. Far from just the President this is now a vote for both houses of Congress too, as I can't see people choosing divided govt again when the fault lines are crystal clear.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. As a Dem I'm liking this. There was some blathering about the youth vote not showing up this year. Well, giving those over 55 a free pass while reaming everybody else below that age takes care of young voter enthusiasm real quick. Far from doubling down on generational warfare, the Mittster ticket has now gone all in. Its an older, wealthy, white demographic vs everyone else. I'm not sure what polling Mittens campaign is seeing, but they must really be expecting an identical electorate to the 2010 midterms to show up in November.

Other random musings...

I can't get enough of some of the stupidity coming out of the media. Not from paid consultants mind you but the so called non partisan media. Somebody had an analysis about how this bridges the GOP gap to the youth vote because Ryan is 42. Wasn't Palin about that age also? How did that work out?

Then there's the "Catholic vote" a bloc of voters that doesn't exist. Yes there are Catholic voters out there but they don't vote with a common theme. I also like the part about Ryan now making Wisconsin and Iowa a swing state. Huskyfan in fact bought into this idiocy. Can we maybe wait to see a couple of polls before we jump to any conclusions here? The vast majority of the country has no idea who the dude is, but they're about to find out real quick as the Obama campaign paints a nice portrait for the rest of us.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Paul Ryan also voted for No Child Left Behind in addition to the wars, TARP, and the Bush Tax Cuts.

Clearly he is a fiscal conservative, except when it's something he wants to spend money on like the huge military machine.

When we finally nominate and elect someone who doesn't have any sacred cows let me know.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Iowa is a swing state, Rover. Obama's usually been around 2-4 points ahead, with the occasional outlier both ways.

Wisconsin hasn't been that close.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Paul Ryan also voted for No Child Left Behind in addition to the wars, TARP, and the Bush Tax Cuts.

Clearly he is a fiscal conservative, except when it's something he wants to spend money on like the huge military machine.

When we finally nominate and elect someone who doesn't have any sacred cows let me know.
                  Seems that if some folks at least talk about sacred cows, that's a move in the right direction. The lack of actual discussion about sacred cows and how they relate to the entire cow population is staggering.
                  Very well, said.
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    As I said months ago out here, if he's going to own Ryan's budget he might as well have Ryan on the ticket.
                    Except nearly the first words out of Romney's mouth were to the effect of, Yes he has a budget proposal but we arent running on it, I have my own budget proposal and that is what we are running on.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                      Except nearly the first words out of Romney's mouth were to the effect of, Yes he has a budget proposal but we arent running on it, I have my own budget proposal and that is what we are running on.
                      Yeah. And Romney's propoosal is to raise taxes on 99% of the US Population while giving a huge tax cut to the 1%. Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Ryan has put Wisconsin in play. But, Iowa, seriously, for an incumbent?
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                          Ryan has put Wisconsin in play. But, Iowa, seriously, for an incumbent?
                          Iowa went for Gore in 2000 by 4,100 votes, and for Bush in 2004 by 10,000 votes. Yes, it's a swing state. Much more than Wisconsin, even with a single House Rep from a district that includes most of Waukesha County on the national ballot.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            Iowa went for Gore in 2000 by 4,100 votes, and for Bush in 2004 by 10,000 votes. Yes, it's a swing state. Much more than Wisconsin, even with a single House Rep from a district that includes most of Waukesha County on the national ballot.
                            Well, duh. Still I'm surprised he's spending that much time for its 6 votes.
                            Still think their internals are showing something ...
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Or he is doing it now cause he doesnt want to later. His internals are showing him exactly what everyone has been saying for months...that neither of these candidates are extremely popular and it is going to be closer than they want it to be.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Another thing I find funny is how for the last year all we've been hearing is how Romney will make this election about Obama. Its going to a referendum on the incumbent and if so Obama can't win, blah blah blah....

So, this last weekend you could feel a shift on the hot air coming out of pundits mouths, so much so it could almost knock you over. Now having a choice between plans is a better discussion for The Mittster? Since when exactly was this considered to be a good idea?

RE: Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. I find it hard to believe Mittens is winning Iowa because he already got croaked there by Sanitarium (although after the final whistle blew) despite spending some serious bucks. But, if we are to grant Iowa swing state status we must also throw in Arizona and Missouri, two states I don't see Obama winning but for which I can find a couple of polls showing a close race. Much like the previous analysis of Pennsylvania if Romney is winning Iowa that means he's already won in a lot of other states on the East beforehand (NH, VA, NC, FL).
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X