Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Up until 1960 we prayed in public schools. Heck, even Romper Room said a prayer "God is great. God is good. Let us thank Him for our food. Amen."

That sure rattled the foundations of the Republic.
    When my dad went to public school they didn't pray (he split time between public and parochial school). Heck, back then, God wasn't even mentioned in the Pledge of Allegiance. And that didn't seem to hurt anyone either.

Edit: frankly, geezer is right about this. While I think it was silly to add God into the Pledge, and I would like to see it taken back out, it certainly isn't a big issue.
    Last edited by duper; 08-11-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Guys, it's a bit. I'd bet money that he has another username and posts rationally. He's only trolling.
      You made me realize that TimP in fact sounds just like Rover, but with slightly less rage suppression. Interesting.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
        When my dad went to public school they didn't pray (he split time between public and parochial school). Heck, back then, God wasn't even mentioned in the Pledge of Allegiance. And that didn't seem to hurt anyone either.
        Prior to the SCOTUS ruling forbidding it, I wonder what percentage of schools actually did pray every morning. We certainly didn't in suburban Chicago. I would guess the practice was popular in the South and maybe Southwest. But I'd imagine kids in, say, Boston weren't exposed to Gawd in class. It's moot now, of course.

Remember a few years ago some high school in Texas (where else?) devised a plan to have prayers before football games (is there a more secular activity in a small Texas town than football?). The students would have "elections" every week to determine which student was going to deliver the prayer before each game. No input from adults. This was an entirely student led enterprise. What do you suppose the odds were that the kids would select a Jew to deliver the prayer? Or even a Catholic?
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Up until 1960 we prayed in public schools. Heck, even Romper Room said a prayer "God is great. God is good. Let us thank Him for our food. Amen."

That sure rattled the foundations of the Republic.
          And on Fridays, Buffalo Bob Smith used to remind the kids to "be sure to worship in the church or synagogue of your choice" before signing off. How did we ever survive THAT?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            Prior to the SCOTUS ruling forbidding it, I wonder what percentage of schools actually did pray every morning. We certainly didn't in suburban Chicago. I would guess the practice was popular in the South and maybe Southwest. But I'd imagine kids in, say, Boston weren't exposed to Gawd in class. It's moot now, of course.

Remember a few years ago some high school in Texas (where else?) devised a plan to have prayers before football games (is there a more secular activity in a small Texas town than football?). The students would have "elections" every week to determine which student was going to deliver the prayer before each game. No input from adults. This was an entirely student led enterprise. What do you suppose the odds were that the kids would select a Jew to deliver the prayer? Or even a Catholic?
            Since the Southwest is where the Catholic Church is expanding in the USA, good odds for one of us Papists. Not sure about our founders since the games are happening during the Sabbath.

And I would not call Texas HS football a secular activity.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Since the Southwest is where the Catholic Church is expanding in the USA, good odds for one of us Papists. Not sure about our founders since the games are happening during the Sabbath.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. And so is the wishbone offense.

Comment

Amen.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Wasn't there a couple more expensive HS stadiums built in Texas in the last few years?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

This is the granddaddy. Served as the backdrop for a best seller, a major motion picture and a hit TV series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratliff_Stadium

One important status symbol for hs stadiums in texas is an elevator to the press box. You'd be surprised how many have 'em.

Comment

I thank the aqua buddha every day I didn't grow up in some hick town where high school football is the only thing to do.
                      1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        The one good reason to vote Romney is to **** off the true believers like TimP and Rover who add so much hate to our politics. Otherwise be sensible and vote Obama in spite of his more liberal supporters, or stay home.
                        I think you have me figured wrong. I just like to **** knuckledraggers off for my own amusement, sorta like the guys in Delta House didn't hate the other dorky frats but liked to have fun at their expense!
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Unfortunately for those sittin in the stands, TX education didn't get a ticket to the game.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            You made me realize that TimP in fact sounds just like Rover, but with slightly less rage suppression. Interesting.
                            To add to the conspiracy, TimP is a "BC fan" and Rover is a BU fan. Could it be that TimP is just Rover's trolling alter ego?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              To add to the conspiracy, TimP is a "BC fan" and Rover is a BU fan. Could it be that TimP is just Rover's trolling alter ego?
                              That's genius!

So, which Badger or Sioux fan is actually Jdubbs?
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                                I thank the aqua buddha every day I didn't grow up in some hick town where high school football is the only thing to do.
                                And we thank the aqua buddha that hardcore Bostonians are rarely found west of New York. Your ilk are often worse than the hated "New Yawkers".

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                                That's genius!

So, which Badger or Sioux fan is actually Jdubbs?
                                No self-respecting Whioux fan would impersonate a Goofer fan. Unfortunately, I think JDubbs really is the ultimate extremist Goofer/Minnesotan.

Comment

Working...
                                X