Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    And there's the rub. A civil right should not - can not - vary from state to state.
    Devil's advocate argument: gun rights vary by state.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Devil's advocate argument: gun rights vary by state.
      Not at the most basic level.

Comment

And there's the rub. A civil right should not - can not - vary from state to state.
        Since when is there a RIGHT to marriage? At the gov't level is a privledge that is granted by the state gov't.
        Last edited by MinnFan; 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM.
        "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

I'm curious what others on either side think, but for me the bellweather state that I'm going to be watching on election night is New Hampshire.

Putting aside Indiana for a minute, its the most friendly turf for Romney to be able to flip from Obama to himself. Not only because he vacations there and lives in the state next door, but because NH Repubs are the old timey fiscal conservative/social libertarians who you would think would be drawn to The Mittster's tax policy but dismiss his new found conversion to right wing social policy as just window dressing for the wackos down South.

So, if he loses NH and takes a Congressional seat down with him in the process, I don't see how he then goes and wins in Ohio. The flip side is if he does take New Hampster, he breaks the firewall that Obama has set up (NV, IA, CO, NM and NH plus the Kerry states gives him 272 I believe). Yeah there's always the possibility of putting Wisconsin or Michigan in play, but as I think most of us have stated already if Romney is threatening to win those states he most likely will have the 270 electoral votes he needs in his pocket long before those states are called.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

While that may be true in the long run, it's not always true in transitional periods. Things evolve over time. Slaves had no civil rights before 1863; women had the right to vote in state elections in some states before the 19th amendment but not the right to vote in federal elections.

Civil unions for same-sex couples today are in the same kind of transitional state that women's right to vote was in the late 19th and early 20th century: the law varied by states, gradually spread from a few to many and finally to all.

I have no horse in this race; I find civil unions to be a fine transitional compromise to allow a majority to build and do not oppose them at all. I merely think that trying to use government compulsion to force religious institutions into sacramental recognition of same-sex marriage is prohibited by the First Amendment. I don't even care if same-sex civil unions are formally called marriage, either.

Civil union = marriage as far as states are concerned.

By the way, the federal government does not have any constitutional authority to regulate people; that power is reserved to the states. I think the Defense of Marriage Act "should" be found unconstiutional. The federal government also "should" not be able to mandate anything about marriage at all, one way or the other.

Relax, folks, it took women nearly 40 years from the time that they first received the right to vote in state elections until the 19th amendment was ratified; civil unions for same-sex marriage so far seems to be well ahead of that pace.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Not a big surprise. A pretty good jobs report. Not a big surprise as I figured that it might be dressed up a bit.

Having said that 163k jobs is good for Obama. Expectations were for 100k and here's only a couple more jobs reports left. This drives the markets where the Dow is now approaching a true doubling under Obama's watch. All will help him.

*****http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-UA384_JOBS_E_20120803083702.jpg******
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                No, I know. I was posting this in support of your argument. Uptown is pretty much the only place I see single gear bikes and people wearing flannel (among those not living in outstate Minnesota where it's actually rather comfortable.)
                Then you arent looking. Hipsters are everywhere I have seen them in NE and many a bar in St. Paul. Uptown stopped being the Mecca for Hipsters right about the time I moved here. Now it is just infested with bike riders who never follow the rules of the road even though we gave them a friggin lane on the roads.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  I'm curious what others on either side think, but for me the bellweather state that I'm going to be watching on election night is New Hampshire.

Putting aside Indiana for a minute, its the most friendly turf for Romney to be able to flip from Obama to himself. Not only because he vacations there and lives in the state next door, but because NH Repubs are the old timey fiscal conservative/social libertarians who you would think would be drawn to The Mittster's tax policy but dismiss his new found conversion to right wing social policy as just window dressing for the wackos down South.

So, if he loses NH and takes a Congressional seat down with him in the process, I don't see how he then goes and wins in Ohio. The flip side is if he does take New Hampster, he breaks the firewall that Obama has set up (NV, IA, CO, NM and NH plus the Kerry states gives him 272 I believe). Yeah there's always the possibility of putting Wisconsin or Michigan in play, but as I think most of us have stated already if Romney is threatening to win those states he most likely will have the 270 electoral votes he needs in his pocket long before those states are called.
                  IMO New Hampshire is the most interesting. The way the state had been performing...ten years ago, one would have predicted a Mass candidate like Romney would have been a landslide in NH. But surprisingly, he doesn't look like he'll even win there.

I think THE state bounces around...but ultimately if there's one comes back to Ohio. States like FL and even VA are on the fence but Romney needs additional wins to get it done. So it comes down to those states that could be peeled away from Obama...Ohio. Ohio is not North East, its not an isolated mountain state or the deep south. It has a bit of every thing...urban, rural, blue collar, big city Cleveland and conservatives in the style of the deep south. Perhaps its also a bit symbolic (or maybe just for me)...but its solid upper midwestern/Big Ten country and therefore may mean a bit more for an IL incumbent.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

I think NH is interesting without signifying anything about the rest of the election. Romney running away from his MA record didn't hurt him in MA since nothing there would have made a difference. NH has that weird resentment of MA and southern tier NH is dominated by Boston diaspora who fled taxes and The Element; for those people Romney is like crack.

NH could go either way, but for reasons that don't translate anywhere else.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 08-03-2012, 11:11 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Not a big surprise. A pretty good jobs report. Not a big surprise as I figured that it might be dressed up a bit.

Having said that 163k jobs is good for Obama. Expectations were for 100k and here's only a couple more jobs reports left. This drives the markets where the Dow is now approaching a true doubling under Obama's watch. All will help him.

*****http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-UA384_JOBS_E_20120803083702.jpg******
                      On the other hand, the unemployment rate ticked up to 8.3 percent. Not a clear winner or loser for either side. It's very possible the economy won't see a major improvement or decline prior to the election. Nice try to spin it though.

Agreed on Ohio. It's always a huge bellwether in elections, particularly ones that are clearly contested.
                      Originally posted by Priceless
                      Good to see you're so reasonable.
                      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                      Very well, said.
                      Originally posted by Rover
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
                        Since when is there a RIGHT to marriage? At the gov't level is a privledge that is granted by the state gov't.
                        That's a bizarre position to take for someone who purports to be conservative. Since when is the government in the business of granting privileges?

Civil marriage is a legal contract. Would it be constitutional for a state government to say that it would grant LLC partnerships only to pairs of opposite genders? Why should a marriage partnership be any different?
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                          On the other hand, the unemployment rate ticked up to 8.3 percent. Not a clear winner or loser for either side. It's very possible the economy won't see a major improvement or decline prior to the election. Nice try to spin it though.

Agreed on Ohio. It's always a huge bellwether in elections, particularly ones that are clearly contested.
                          Just saying what happened...I even said it was prob dressed up a bit. But if you're wondering what folks think...the dow is up 200 pts today. Its all in the WSJ: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...169187310.html
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                            Not a clear winner or loser for either side. It's very possible the economy won't see a major improvement or decline prior to the election.
                            Agree with this.

And in the absence of real numbers, it will come down to perception which is why both campaigns are hyperactively trying to out-frame one another right now. The ads during the Olympics have been a hoot (living next to a battleground state is fun).

I think today was a tiny "victory" for Obama because the whole Echo Chamber was ginned up to ream him if we had had another flat quarter. But that victory won't even last past dinnertime -- by then the next gaffe or accusation or handler's comment will have seized the media magpie's attention.

I'm surprised the Obama people haven't run ads about this. During the 2008 campaign every Republican hack was squealing that Obama would give us double digit inflation. The current inflation rate is 1.7 percent.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

That's a bizarre position to take for someone who purports to be conservative. Since when is the government in the business of granting privileges?

Civil marriage is a legal contract. Would it be constitutional for a state government to say that it would grant LLC partnerships only to pairs of opposite genders? Why should a marriage partnership be any different?
                              I've got no problem with the gov't getting out of peoples' business, but they are the ones with the tax code. Get rid of the deductions and lower the rate for everone I would be perfectly happy.

The rationale for the gov't subsidizing marriage is that it perpetuates the continuation of that society. I've got no problem with the gov't purely going to cival unions, but right now a gay man and a straight man have the exact same "right" to marry a woman.
                              "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I'm surprised the Obama people haven't run ads about this. During the 2008 campaign every Republican hack was squealing that Obama would give us double digit inflation. The current inflation rate is 1.7 percent.
                                I'm guessing the Obama camp thinks they've got some more salient points to drive home given how Romney's positioned himself. As people still mostly blame Bush for the current economic problems (whether that's true or not) and Romney plans on re-implementing the economic policy from 2001 to mid 2008 (as in right before the financial crash) the ads I expect to see is Romney = GWB Part 3 or something to that effect.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X