Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    This is getting out of hand. What do you have against the smartest woman in the world?
    Anything I had against her I'd have to sterilize, if not amputate.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Somebody?

Anybody.

Reid is an inoffensive choice to hold factions together. He has zero leadership skills, zero chutzpah, and zero vision. He is the Ghost of Democrats Past, haunting us with what the whole party was like in the 1980's. He's been a complete disaster in that chair, but the tangram pieces just don't fit together for anybody else.

The obvious SML would have been, and I hate myself for saying it as much as I loathe her, Hillary.
      With the exception of Pelosi (who was as hated by the right as their leaders are routinely hated by the left, meaning you did your job right), the Dems have this annoying habit of picking leaders from purple-red states who have to watch what they say just to hold onto 50.1% of the vote every 2-6 years. On the Republican Senate side: Dole (Kansas), Trent Lott (MS), Bill Frist (TN), Mitch McConnell (KY). Those guys are subject to the "Live Boy/Dead Girl" rule of incumbency.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Somebody?

Anybody.

Reid is an inoffensive choice to hold factions together. He has zero leadership skills, zero chutzpah, and zero vision. He is the Ghost of Democrats Past, haunting us with what the whole party was like in the 1980's. He's been a complete disaster in that chair, but the tangram pieces just don't fit together for anybody else.

The obvious SML would have been, and I hate myself for saying it as much as I loathe her, Hillary.
        Amen about Reid. He's a total disaster. With him and Daschle as back to back leaders its a wonder there are any Democrats left in the Senate, let alone them having a majority. My preference would be Schumer for SML. Maybe Reid can pull a Byrd and drop the leadership position to take over Appropriations or something.

Having said that, the tax issue implication is straight out of the Karl Rove playbook. It forces Romney to do something he doesn't want to do, which is release his taxes, no doubt because he's paid very little to none of the years. Where I think Reid is his usual tone deaf self is in not being more specific as to where he's getting the info from. "Somebody at Bain" is a big vague and dirty. Could be the the janitor for all we know.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          With the exception of Pelosi (who was as hated by the right as their leaders are routinely hated by the left, meaning you did your job right), the Dems have this annoying habit of picking leaders from purple-red states who have to watch what they say just to hold onto 50.1% of the vote every 2-6 years. On the Republican Senate side: Dole (Kansas), Trent Lott (MS), Bill Frist (TN), Mitch McConnell (KY). Those guys are subject to the "Live Boy/Dead Girl" rule of incumbency.
          Good point; hadn't thought about that.

Hillary (NY) or a 2008-losing Obama (IL) would have been ideal. Too bad our CA senators are so bad -- Feinstein's corrupt and Boxer's a moron.

I was shocked at how well Pelosi has done in her job. I thought she'd be awful; she turned out to be the most effective Dem leader in Congress since Tip.

(I also thought Hillary would be either mediocre or distracting as SOS, but she turned out very well too. She's still Satan, though. I hope she and Bill ride off into the night after Charlotte. I'm sure Bill will be hot on the trail of Charlotte...)

According to my wife, who hasn't been wrong about these things yet (though she's been off the Hill for two years now and her info is getting stale), Schumer is hated by his colleagues and they wouldn't pee on him if he was on fire. Now, hated guys have gotten leadership slots before, but that's usually the GOP going through the pecking order and giving it "the next guy in line." The Dems are much more cliquish and everything always has to be three dimensional chess with them.
          Last edited by Kepler; 08-02-2012, 01:57 PM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Good point; hadn't thought about that.

Hillary (NY) or a 2008-losing Obama (IL) would have been ideal. Too bad our CA senators are so bad -- Feinstein's corrupt and Boxer's a moron.

I was shocked at how well Pelosi has done in her job. I thought she'd be awful; she turned out to be the most effective Dem leader in Congress since Tip.
            She had a bullet proof majority in her house, plus a 60 seat Senate and a like thinking occupant of 1600 PA Ave. Of course she'd succeed. Only an idiot could have screwed it up.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
              Yah, Obama should have paid for my waffle fries at least! Where is my justice!
              ...or the GOP keeping mind special interest impact on both sides.

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
              With that as a baseline metric, about 98% of hipsters would fall by the wayside as well.
              That would assume your talking body parts as there aren't 100 'hipsters' left.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                She had a bullet proof majority in her house, plus a 60 seat Senate and a like thinking occupant of 1600 PA Ave. Of course she'd succeed. Only an idiot could have screwed it up.
                You're not familiar with how the Dems act in Congress, are you?

A Republican with a 5 seat majority has more power than a Democrat with a 50 seat majority. The Republicans run their party like the PRC. The Dems run theirs like this:

*****http://www.cartoonmovement.com/depot/cartoons/2011/12/-dx6KmZVTleNy6ufZYfoqA.jpeg******
                Last edited by Kepler; 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM.
                Cornell University

Comment

Between the Coleman/Franken recount, Kennedy's illness and death and replacement by Scott Brown, the Dems had about 50 days of "60 Senators" anyway. Given two full years, Reid would have still ****ed it up.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                    Reid's never impressed me much. Surely there's somebody over there who would do a better job of leading the Senate for the Democrats?
                    I don't know if I can find the photo op where Reid tried to stand close to Pelosi and she kept moving away from him. Her body language eloquently expressed what she thought of him.
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 08-02-2012, 02:39 PM.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Some of you may recall that shortly before he became Chicago's first Black Mayor, it was revealed that Congressman Harold Washington (major coke freak and waaaay on the down low) had failed to pay his income taxes for five straight years. And his brithday was April 15!
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        If Edwin Edwards didn't actually exist, we'd have to invent him.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          You're screwing up my equilibrium with this even handedness. I feel like I should jump to Harry's defense, or something. Maybe he wasn't accusing Mitt of actual tax evasion, just saying he legally avoided paying taxes. Then it's not so bad, politics as usual but not outright slander. Let's give ol' Harry a break people!
                          It's a temporary condition. Like taking advantage of dad having one too many highballs before dinner to ask him for an increase in your allowance.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            That would assume your talking body parts as there aren't 100 'hipsters' left.
                            Says the guy who claims to be "back down in uptown"? In case you're nearly 50 years behind the times, which wouldn't actually surprise me, the modern use of "hipster" doesn't exactly revolve around beat poetry and experimental art. It's somewhat impressive you've managed to miss this considering Uptown is hipster ground zero.
                            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Hipster 1950 (lower middle class, college drop out, rents a loft with 5 people, ran away from home at 16, in 10 years will be: in jail)

*****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CKwYY0XX9qs/TgcEKAdT-TI/AAAAAAAAEDo/DUTweA4Tn8w/s1600/BW.jpg******

Hipster 2010 (upper middle class, Poli-Sci degree, owns a loft, used parents for co-sign, in 10 years will be: a lawyer)

*****http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/03/19/250473-sxsw-music-2012-days-three-and-four-on-the-street-and-in-the-clubs-at-.jpg******

Yet another reason why 1950 > 2010.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                                Says the guy who claims to be "back down in uptown"? In case you're nearly 50 years behind the times, which wouldn't actually surprise me, the modern use of "hipster" doesn't exactly revolve around beat poetry and experimental art. It's somewhat impressive you've managed to miss this considering Uptown is hipster ground zero.
                                I am quite versed in uptown and it's more receptive to such movements, so I feel comfortable making the claim.

Today's uptown is one of the most expensive places in the state and is full of intellectual and productive money (which results in an overall avg uptown HH income of 88k)...supplemented by typical 20somethings and partiers living in apartments. If these groups are hipsters your lense is off.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X