Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    That's what the common people in Sweden and Finland used to say. Now they're fined pretty heavily if they observe the biblical condemnation of sodomy. Every church is public in some places. That's where I think we are headed.
    Now that I posted this, I wonder if it has changed in the last 15 year. It's possible that it has, but a quick google search was inconclusive.

Anyway, my main point is that I fear forced conformity to an institutionalized ideal.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      Don't follow. You need to work on your examples today. Surely you can grasp what Huckabee meant? I wouldn't expect some others around here to grasp it or admit they do, but I would expect you to.
      I object to your extension "those of us who value freedom of religion." I value that freedom and I think what Huckabee said was silly and incorrect.

There are religious exclusions to some laws but not all. That's a political battle.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        There are religious exclusions to some laws but not all. That's a political battle.
        So which is it when a religious organization that believes abortion is murder is required by law to offer abortifacient drugs to its employees?
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I object to your extension "those of us who value freedom of religion." I value that freedom and I think what Huckabee said was silly and incorrect.

And those exclusions are being shrunken as we speak. To some of us it's more than just a political battle. I think you honestly believe you value freedom of religion. But, you don't see the conflict between pushing something like gay rights and maintaining religious freedom as I do, so forgive me if I'm more concerned than you are.
          Originally posted by Priceless
          Good to see you're so reasonable.
          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
          Very well, said.
          Originally posted by Rover
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            So which is it when a religious organization that believes abortion is murder is required by law to offer abortifacient drugs to its employees?
            Talk about intrusive government! Although my guess is in ten years we'll look back and realize this was child's play compared to what will eventually transpire.
            Very well, said.
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              So, regardless of what my beliefs are if I work for a Catholic Institution I can't have the health care benefits that I want??

Nice.

This problem wouldn't exist if the United States hadn't stupidly attached Health Care to employment. Since we do (and it's the conservatives who want it that way) we get stuck in these stupid merry go round issues. Frankly if your so worried about providing women's health care services to your employees then just stop offering health care benefits. Give your employees a block grant (Hey, it's just like the Ryan plan) to go out and buy their own health insurance. Problem ****ing solved.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                So, regardless of what my beliefs are if I work for a Catholic Institution I can't have the health care benefits that I want??
                Since you are male, why would you want an abortifacient drug?*

Snark aside, it was not "conservatives" who "wanted" health insurance tied to employment. That was a direct outcome of World War II wage - price controls (okay, I suppose for you FDR was a "conservative"..... ). Employers were not allowed to increase wages to attract and retain valuable employees, and they were allowed to offer improved fringe benefits, so that compensation that normally would have flowed into wages was directed into fringe benefits instead. The fact that fringe benefits are tax-deductible to the employer and not taxable income to the employee was never a partisan issue.

You and I do agree that having an individual health insurance market for everyone completely separate from employment status would be preferable to what we have now.

You don't see the progression? the government meddles in the marketplace, produces unintended consequences that muck things up, tries to address said consequences with more meddling, which in turn produce more unintended consequences that muck things up even more....

McCain and Obama were both on the right track in 2008. Obama did not follow through on his primary campaign however (you may recall he criticized Hillary when she proposed a mandate!); McCain wanted the value of health insurance included in taxable income.

* I believe there is a legal principle that one must have "standing" before one can bring suit. I'm generally amused whenever men debate women's reproductive issues. Now, when it comes to cancer treatment, that's different, many of us have sisters, wives, daughters.
                Last edited by FreshFish; 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

This from the guy who thought saying nice things about America was "political," and should be avoided. And on the 4th of July, yet! Let's just say he has a different definition of "valuing freedom" than many of us have.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    If you figure it out, let me know - I certainly can't.

On the "conservative" (common usage) side, I'm:
                    anti-union (especially public unions)
                    anti big government and high taxes
                    pro strong military
                    generally skeptical of social programs (especially those that are designed to mask the pain of a problem without solving it)
                    anti-universal health care (somebody has to do the rationing, and I distrust business less than government on this one)
                    pro-business but anti-bailout (let business owners keep the rewards for the risks they take and the hard work they do, and keep excessive regulation out of their way, but don't pour good taxpayer money after bad private investments)
                    anti affirmative action.

On the "liberal" side, I'm:
                    pro-choice
                    pro gun control (in cases where it actually aligns with common sense and has a prayer of actually doing some good)
                    pro civil rights (read: gay marriage)
                    pro financial regulation (let the government be the rules committee and referee but don't let them play the game or choose the winners)
                    pro marijuana (I've only ever seen one joint in my life and have no interest in drugs whatsoever, but live and let live)
                    pro using taxpayer funds to develop alternate energy as long as its something that's meaningful and sustainable (sorry, solar and wind).

Besides which, I don't see anything in my post #641 that advocates a liberal position. I perceive that post to be entirely factual - "lock step" is not a pejorative term; it's the reality of the situation. The guy I quoted is one of the arch-conservatives - if using his words is "parroting a liberal position" then I think the cats and dogs are finally living together.
                    This is me as well for the most part though I am in favor of massive military cuts since it is wasteful and we are broke. I do support universal health care only because the system as is is a piece of crap.

I guess you are a hardline lefty since apparently I am too

(further proof Bob has gone off the deep end)
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Not sure I am 100% am following but...

From what I've seen, the dems would get rid of PACs tomorrow. But if PACS do exist and dems don't use them for what they're most effective (negative campaigning) while the GOP does...dems risk of losing the election, which would also result in absolutely no reason for the GOP to ever want to get rid of PACs.
                      His Newtoneness and the groups that support him, are free to say anything they want. But it may be time to jettison the pose that this nasty Chicago pol is something he's not. If the "ends justify the means," then so be it. But please, spare us the pieties.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        This is me as well for the most part though I am in favor of massive military cuts since it is wasteful and we are broke. I do support universal health care only because the system as is is a piece of crap.

I guess you are a hardline lefty since apparently I am too

(further proof Bob has gone off the deep end)
                        Get off my deep end!
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

And those exclusions are being shrunken as we speak. To some of us it's more than just a political battle. I think you honestly believe you value freedom of religion. But, you don't see the conflict between pushing something like gay rights and maintaining religious freedom as I do, so forgive me if I'm more concerned than you are.
                          That's because I don't see it as gay rights. If a religion conflicts with human rights, then in some areas the religion cannot have it all their way.

I think we are about the same age, Bob, and I think as we pass from the scene succeeding generations just won't have a problem with this just as we don't have a problem with many things (gender equality, racial and ethnic equality) that would have enraged prior generations, including their religious leaders. For that matter America was founded on principles that just a hundred or so years earlier would have appeared to the vast majority as literal sacrilege.

To everything there is a season.

Believe me, as a Doubter I have a lot more riding on freedom of religion than anybody in the Believer supermajority. When the crap hits the fan it's always we who are rounded up first. (Well, we and the Jews.)
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-10-2012, 02:43 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yup, if only those Christian Americans would keep what they think and say in church! It's not like they're fully American and have freedom of speech in the broad sense that non-Christian Americans should have. Just box 'em into those church buildings and keep 'em there and don't let 'em out. You don't realize how scary you sound at times. And you don't even realize it. You just say it more openly and honestly than some of the others around here.
                            Seriously, can you read? That isnt what he said or even implied. He was responding to geezers belief that the government will regulate what churches say. Why must you always kill the straw man what did he ever do to you...or was he the one that nailed you to that nifty cross you are on oh great Bob Martyr!

edit: I support Freedom of Religion (and Speech) in all respects...I am not a Catholic. Huckabee is an idiot.
                            Last edited by Handyman; 08-10-2012, 02:42 PM.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That's because I don't see it as gay rights. If a religion conflicts with human rights, then in some areas the religion cannot have it all their way.

I think we are about the same age, Bob, and I think as we pass from the scene succeeding generations just won't have a problem with this just as we don't have a problem with many things (gender equality, racial and ethnic equality) that would have enraged prior generations, including their religious leaders. For that matter America was founded on principles that just a hundred or so years earlier would have appeared to the vast majority as literal sacrilege.

To everything there is a season.

Believe me, as a Doubter I have a lot more riding on freedom of religion than anybody in the Believer supermajority. When the crap hits the fan it's always we who are rounded up first. (Well, we and the Jews.)
                              We see this fundamentally different. I don't see this as remotely a human rights issue. I think it's an insult to gender equity, civil rights, and human rights to be compared to this. The fact that this issue is trending your way is concerning to me short term. But, big picture mankind has always been trying to redefine things one way or another, with different generations doing it different ways. The Romans at times defined that it was ok to turn Christians into garden torches and food for lions. That passed and so shall this, sooner or later. Part of this comes down to whether you think there's an ultimate source and definition for things like good and evil, right and wrong, etc. Depending on where you land on that makes you look at this very different ways.

Being non-religious/doubter makes you much less of a target than if you stick to some sort of religious beliefs when the society you live in has turned a different direction that makes you choose between your beliefs and conforming to society's expectations/demands. History is rife with such situations, whereas folks who, so to speak, sit out the issue or aren't specifically identified with a side, are for the most part ok. There are exceptions, but they are that, exceptions.
                              Very well, said.
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Seriously, can you read? That isnt what he said or even implied. He was responding to geezers belief that the government will regulate what churches say. Why must you always kill the straw man what did he ever do to you...or was he the one that nailed you to that nifty cross you are on oh great Bob Martyr!

edit: I support Freedom of Religion (and Speech) in all respects...I am not a Catholic. Huckabee is an idiot.
                                You're making even less sense than usual. I suggest you go back and read the discussion.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X