Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012 -- Carrion My Wayward Son!

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    My eating a Chick-Fil-A sandwich wasn't to protest gay marriage. It was to support freedom of speech. But, such nuance is lost on most sheeple who just repeat whatever popular slogan they hear from the liberal media.
    Well I didn't eat at Chick-Fil-A twice to show support for people who understand how the first amendment works.

But please, explain to me the nuances of the charges the Chick-Fil-A clowns are facing for what they said.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      I can't wait for when Romney announces his VP pick. I can picture somebody like Pawlenty being asked and accepting the night before, showing up at the press conference the next day only to see the Mittster on the podium disavowing ever offering him the job and attacking the press for suggesting differently. All the while a stunned T-Paw stands there in silence with a deer in the headlights look on his face.
      TPaw has experience with that...remember he was on his way to his Press Conference to announce he was running for Senator when he got a call from Rove telling him they would "prefer" if he ran for Governor instead because they had someone else they wanted to run for Senator.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        TPaw has experience with that...remember he was on his way to his Press Conference to announce he was running for Senator when he got a call from Rove telling him they would "prefer" if he ran for Governor instead because they had someone else they wanted to run for Senator.
        Funny!
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

That someone else was Norm Coleman, which if I'm not mistaken, is the origin of the term 'horse trading'.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Congrats...when you are done patting yourself on the back maybe you can explain to me why you felt the need to tell us that?

I never said, or implied that all the people who went there did so to protest Gay Marriage...but such nuance is lost on those sheeple who just want to blurt out their personal agenda.

Keep on pretending you are the only one who thinks for themselves though and that YOU know better than everyone what others are thinking and saying...it doesnt make you a hypocrite or sound crazy in the least bit Bob
            Part of the big spin is to make the owner of Chick-Fil-A sound like a hater, which is nowhere near what he said or is from what I've read. You know, the often successful technique of demonizing the opponent so no matter what's done to him/them it's ok because they are so bad. But, acknowledging that such spinning is going on undermines its effectiveness, so I understand your avoidance. It's entirely predictable that you accuse me of thinking I know everything, but all the variety of folks who argue the other way get a free pass from you. Did you use the word hypocrisy?
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Fiction is way too strong a word. Is law fiction? Is morality? Is the aesthetic of beauty? Is the concept of fairness? Those things are all the accumulation of people's ideas mediated through institutions, interpreters, and history. All scientific models and theories are like that. It may even be that time and causality are like that. Basically, those are anything that derives from a human understanding of the universe. Hardly bad company to be in.

We all have some sort of difference in our understanding of all those things, and all cultures have had differences. Just as with God. As long as you can do that and compromise with the guy next door who has a different view, you're participating in a democratic political system. There is nothing inherent in the concept of God, even in monotheistic exclusivity, that precludes that.

The problem we face now is a large sub-population who will not only refuse to compromise but will sabotage the working of democracy in order not to compromise. It doesn't matter what their reason is when they do that, they've taken themselves outside the system. Essentially, they're in rebellion, but it's a special kind of rebellion where they aren't sacrificing anything or putting themselves on the line, so they can keep it up forever because it costs them nothing.

On the other hand, it's non-violent (so far), so although it's disrupting solving national problems at least it isn't building up too high a body count.
              Lack of compromise is all around you. You just have trouble with the other side not compromising by moving toward what you want. The problems our nation faces are far deeper than any one group not compromising or holding up progress.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Lack of compromise is all around you. You just have trouble with the other side not compromising by moving toward what you want. The problems our nation faces are far deeper than any one group not compromising or holding up progress.
                Considering how much bending over Obama and the Democrats have done and still nothing has gotten done in Washington, I beg to differ. Even Obamacare was a compromise and NO WHERE NEAR what the Democrats wanted.

No, sorry, there's only one no compromise party. There's only one party signing Grover's pledge. There's only one party that thinks trickle down economics still works. There's only one party that won't compromise on abortion or immigration policy.

Tell you what. Tell me one major compromise position of Mitch McConnell or the Bone Man. I bet you can't come up with one.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Thanks again for telling me what I can see and think. You really are a treasure.

There are always individuals who won't compromise, but this is something new -- a large political subset who won't and whose leaders won't. Some may call that integrity as opposed to horsetrading, but it's very hard to see how anything can get done when one side will let the country burn unless they get everything they want.

That can work in a small and/or homogenous polis in which the vast majority are in agreement, but it can't work in a diverse political culture. Hence the need by that group to dismiss or even demonize diversity itself.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 08-06-2012, 03:06 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Thanks again with telling me what I can see and think. You really are a treasure.

There are always individuals who won't compromise, but this is something new -- a large political subset who won't and whose leaders won't. Some may call that integrity as opposed to horsetrading, but it's very hard to see how anything can get done when one side will let the country burn unless they get everything they want.
                    I suggest that someday you take off your partisan blinders. Hyperpartisanship like yours is a big contributor to our nation's problems.
                    Very well, said.
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Considering how much bending over Obama and the Democrats have done and still nothing has gotten done in Washington, I beg to differ. Even Obamacare was a compromise and NO WHERE NEAR what the Democrats wanted.

No, sorry, there's only one no compromise party. There's only one party signing Grover's pledge. There's only one party that thinks trickle down economics still works. There's only one party that won't compromise on abortion or immigration policy.

Tell you what. Tell me one major compromise position of Mitch McConnell or the Bone Man. I bet you can't come up with one.
                      What a pant load, was it Repubs who stopped what the Dems wanted in Obamacare or Lobbyists? There is only one right answer
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Some may call that integrity as opposed to horsetrading, but it's very hard to see how anything can get done when one side will let the country burn unless they get everything they want.

for some reason, I have a hunch you are not referring to Obama's threat to veto a bill that extends current tax rates for middle-income taxpayers if it also extends the current tax rates for high-income taxpayers......
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

So Obamacare, which was a major move toward what the Dems want and away from what conservatives want, is a sign of Democratic compromise? We just see things very differently. To me, moving an issue the liberal direction, but not all the way they want to go right away, is not an example of compromise. The fact that even some Dems were uncomfortable with how far it went, keeping it from going further, speaks volumes. So, not everyone signing up to move issues all the way the liberals want to go is deemed lacking in compromise in this upside down world. Glad we can at least nail down just how bizarro it all is.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I suggest that someday you take off your partisan blinders. Hyperpartisanship like yours is a big contributor to our nation's problems.
                            Coming from you, that's funny.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Coming from you, that's funny.
                              Nyuck, nyuck!
                              Very well, said.
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

What's most hilarious about the politics of obstruction is that it is now 100% dependent on Mittens Romney becoming President. Short of that none of The Boner or Itch McConnell's efforts will have produced anything of value for the GOP.

Upon an Obama re-election, health care gets implemented in its entirety. Nothing else needs to be done legislatively. Same thing for Dodd-Frank. On taxes the Bush gimmicks expire. Again nothing needs to be done on Obama's part to make that happen and unless the GOP wins the 67 seats they'll need to override his veto control of the Senate and House will be irrelavent. Afghanistan is winding down regardless of tired old geezers like McCain who want to be there indefinitely. Righties can continue to stonewall DREAM act if they'd like to have generations of Hispanics vote against them by a 3:1 margin for the next fifty years I suppose but again I'm not sure what good that does in the long run.

So I have to wonder what all this effort has been for? About the only think they could do as a majority party in the Senate is block a SCOTUS nominee for a time but with even that eventually you have to confirm somebody. Beyond that everybody else Obama can just use a recess appointment to get around obstructionist idiocy.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X