Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TRP: Free of political butthurt since 1999.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TRP: Free of political butthurt since 1999.

Mental health days: yay or nay?

I read an article claiming 51% of people have taken them (i.e. taking a sick day and lying about it).

I really, really, really, really, really, really need one. But I do not think my conscience will let me. I am sure I will upset the sick-day gods and some horrible health-related catastrophe will happen to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post

I read an article claiming 51% of people have taken them (i.e. taking a sick day and lying about it).

I really, really, really, really, really, really need one. But I do not think my conscience will let me. I am sure I will upset the sick-day gods and some horrible health-related catastrophe will happen to me.
      I don't do it. Even if I wake up and don't feel well, and legitimately call in sick, I end up doing some work from home because I feel guilty that I'm not at work.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I don't do it. Even if I wake up and don't feel well, and legitimately call in sick, I end up doing some work from home because I feel guilty that I'm not at work.
        I've done it in the past, maybe once a year, but I also feel guilty about it. Haven't called in sick, technically, in the past 3 years or so. There have been medical issues (requiring at least urgent care) that I couldn't avoid, however. Things like pinched ulnar nerve where I couldn't feel my hand whatsoever. You know, no biggie.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Most firms in my industry have done away with "sick time" vs "vacation time" as there is no real difference. It's a benefit that is part of my whole compensation package. If my immediate work load can tolerate me taking a day off and I feel it will help me, I take it from my Paid Time Off - PTO (or Compensated Time Off - CTO as my current employer calls it) account.

Comment

I don't even know if or how many sick days I get. My supervisor basically tells us, if you don't feel well, just stay home. He doesn't even keep track, and since my group isn't billed out to customers or anything like that, it isn't a big deal. Almost all of us bring our computers home each day, so even if we're sick, we end up logging on and keeping up with work from home. I think I've only used 2 sick days my entire time working here. One time I woke up with some bad stomach pains, and ended up staying in bed for a few extra hours and they went away. I just worked from the couch the rest of the day. The other time I had just a small touch of the flu that kept me out for a day.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
              Most firms in my industry have done away with "sick time" vs "vacation time" as there is no real difference. It's a benefit that is part of my whole compensation package. If my immediate work load can tolerate me taking a day off and I feel it will help me, I take it from my Paid Time Off - PTO (or Compensated Time Off - CTO as my current employer calls it) account.
              That's the way at my firm as well. Set number of paid days off to use as I like.
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                That's the way at my firm as well. Set number of paid days off to use as I like.
                My company changed to that last year, and we actually gained more time off than we had before (when adjusted for years being employed). I honestly have to burn days just to burn 'em, so I don't lose them (limit of 40 hours carryover).
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I get one sick day per quarter, and they accumulate, but don't carry over each year. However, speaking from experience, my boss will "absolve"/forgive sick days for an illness that results in hospitalization, and my company has their share of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    My company changed to that last year, and we actually gained more time off than we had before (when adjusted for years being employed). I honestly have to burn days just to burn 'em, so I don't lose them (limit of 40 hours carryover).
                    wish I had that problem. I get 4 weeks of vacation, but we can't carry it over. We can carry over sick time (it was the opposite before we got bought by another company). Although at this point, I could use 52 weeks of vacation. I've only used sick time this year for dental/doctor appointments. I used to try and schedule those outside of work hours, but my morale is so low right now, I try to schedule them DURING work hours.

I get an extra week of vacation at 15 years (which is in January. can't. wait.)

Having just general time off makes more sense, if you can carry it over.

p.s. those of you who think you're a hero for not using sick days - your co-workers are plotting your demise if you show up to working hacking and sniffling instead of staying home.

Comment

p.s. those of you who think you're a hero for not using sick days - your co-workers are plotting your demise if you show up to working hacking and sniffling instead of staying home.
                      I don't come to work if I'm hacking and sniffling. I just don't get that way. I have a rockstar immune system.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I don't come to work if I'm hacking and sniffling. I just don't get that way. I have a rockstar immune system.
                        This. IF I get sick (as in virus/whatever), it's usually something where I don't feel like blinking, because (insert graphic disposal of something inside my body through some orifice).

Comment

We don't have a set number of sick days. We have a certain amount at 100% pay and a certain amount at something like 60% pay. The weeks of 100% go up depending on your service time. Anything over a few days means you go on short-term and you need a "doctor's note".
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I still love the Snuffy the Seal commercial.
                            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              I still love the Snuffy the Seal commercial.
                              It's a bad week to be a seal
                              Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                              Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Leaving for my Bachelor Party in Duluth tomorrow. Cannot freaking wait.
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X