Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TRP: Free of political butthurt since 1999.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TRP: Free of political butthurt since 1999.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    JF Tapdancing Christ on a Cracker what a stupid week this has been.

*deep breath*

Tuesday, the great PM who was supposed to be managing one of my current projects was pulled off to work on something else. Knowing that my team has already been told "no" when we asked for a PM for a different project a couple weeks ago, that effectively leaves me to be the PM (which is not my role). But that was just the beginning.

At my last performance review with the director of my department in early September, I brought up the subject of my salary, which is well below the average for my field. Truth is, my company has lowballed a lot of folks in the last 2-3 years because of the economy. In June, we received an injection of $$$ from a venture capital firm (they call it an "investment", but basically we got bought). Director (whose salary is also way below average, considering everything he does) told me they were going to finally bring everyone who is performing well up to the 50% percentile at the 1st of the year. I continue working my arse off for the last three months, accept a new role thrust upon me in early November, and take on all the ***** work no one wants to do.

Today, in appreciation for everything he's done for our department since I started (and he really has), I went out and bought Director a nice cigar (he's a big fan of them). Even bought one for myself, which is extremely rare. Director and I hit up the local cigar bar after work. First thing he tells me (assuming that I already knew), is that my current Manager is moving to another team in January. While I'm genuinely pi55ed off, the fact that Manager is bolting and failed to tell me is not a huge shock - he's a programmer at heart and a terrible communicator who I think found himself overwhelmed and dissatisfied when he was promoted back in June.

Second thing he tells me, is that he submitted my pay increase, and the investment guru/co-CEO (whom I've barely met, of course) came back and said he wouldn't approve it until I got "certifications". So, I've performed well above average on every performance review since I was hired, hold a Master's degree, but some stupid ****ing ceremonial/useless certifications are the excuse for holding me back yet again.

I genuinely like the Director, and I know this was not his call. That said, this all but confirms my decision to start looking for a new job back in September. I've gotten 3 interviews, and made it to the final round twice thus far (most recently two weeks ago). While I will begin pursuing whatever certs they want me to get, I'll be starting to look again on January 2nd. There is zero excuse for this, and it's not just me being a member of the so-called entitlement generation. I've more than proven my value to this organization.

/end rant
    I hear ya. I had to wait an extra 2 years for my raise/promotion, but it came last year, and it was nice when I got it. Now I'm expecting to get another one, given all I have done for my group, including traveling internationally on a days notice, over the weekend, without any complaints. All of my customers and my supervisors all have only good things to say, so I'm thinking I'm deserving...but we'll see.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I realize it sounds selfish in light of the unemployment rate, but I had to get that out of my system.

Comment

I realize it sounds selfish in light of the unemployment rate, but I had to get that out of my system.
        Nah, its not selfish. Gotta get what you gotta get.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The unemployment rate for people with a bachelor's degree or higher was 3.8% in November. As much as employers will want to play the U-rate card, you're in better shape than they will ever admit.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t04.htm
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

JF Tapdancing Christ on a Cracker what a stupid week this has been.
            that sucks. I waited a long time for my last promotion (and it was my last, because I can't get another one) and people said.... oh, I thought you'd already been that for years. um, thanks? certifications seem like a joke when you have commensurate experience, and I'm glad they're not required for most of our positions (one of my co-workers doesn't even have a college degree, but she's grandfathered in because of her experience). there has to be something better out there for you, but it's hard to say with this market.
            Last edited by jen; 12-20-2012, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Not at all selfish when you recognize what you bring to the company. I think plenty of businesses have been using "the economy" as an excuse to underpay and overwork their employees.

Don't be surprised if when you find another job, your company comes back with the raise they should have given you in the first place. Seems like too little, too late to me. Why only worry about employee retention when they are on the way out?

At least you're looking for a better offer while employed. That is nice because it gives you the luxury of finding the right job/offer instead of taking whatever you can get. I turned down 2 offers in my last search, and am glad I did, because I actually like my current job (and make what I believe to be a fair salary).

Good luck!
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

I don't think it sounds selfish either. You've put in your time and you should be recognized for the value you bring to your company. I have been with my current company for close to 13 years. It took me 11 years to get a one-grade level promotion. I've been here on this team the longest so from a seniority perspective, I should be higher than my teammates. They, however, have all kind of been *****ing about why they haven't been promoted. It's difficult in this department to really move up. If they move out of this department for a higher grade level position, that's fine. I'm just a little aggravated at their whining because only one of them has been here more than 4 years. Why should they make a jump to my level in a shorter amount of time when it basically took an almost meltdown by me to get mine after having been here for so much longer? That said, I am not going to complain if they manage to get promoted. I got here first. I make a pretty good salary and I'm getting to work on some amazing projects at the moment.

Comment

I found Brent's next tattoo:

http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/gear/ga...too-system.asp
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Um, NO.

That's an abomination.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Can't see Brent using that. Involves way too much technology.

But I agree, the ability to alter the tatt at will takes any meaning or memory out of the ink, and leaves tatts completely to the drunk and stupid. And that's coming from someone who will most likely never have a drop of ink injected into his skin.

Comment

Can't see Brent using that. Involves way too much technology.

But I agree, the ability to alter the tatt at will takes any meaning or memory out of the ink, and leaves tatts completely to the drunk and stupid. And that's coming from someone who will most likely never have a drop of ink injected into his skin.
                        For me personally, it takes away the experience of going through the tatt process. Remember that scene in Pulp Fiction, when they're talking about those "piercing guns?" Yeah, same thing for tatts. Even the annoying healing process when the tatt "molts."
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Cracked Pepper And Olive Oil Triscuits are f*ing phenomenal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            +1
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Yes

Comment

I have nothing to add. So... here's this. *****http://www.metallusmaximus.com/forums/Smileys/metallus/evil_pumpkin.gif******
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X