Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012-13 NHL Thread. Fehr Thee Well??

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    NHL has scheduled a press conference for Thursday afternoon. Prepare for the worst.
    They're cancelling the season?
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      They're cancelling the season?
      The press conference is supposedly scheduled to happen immediately following a Board of Governor's meeting.

Comment

From RDS, via Joe Yerdon's Twitter: "Gary Bettman said that his offer today ask for a reduction of 9% of players salaries. NHL asked for 24% in July."

There's still hope! Or is that just cold gambler's fallacy?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          NHL has scheduled a press conference for Thursday afternoon. Prepare for the worst.
          Come on, Daddy needs a new iPhone 5!
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Who will be pulling Gary Bettman's strings? Snider??
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              Honest question:

Can the NHL be the first league to face widespread financial ruin because of a prolonged work stopage?

Every other workstopage that we've seen in major sports has caused a recession on the respective league... But that loss has been overcome in the long run... Even baseball was able to recover from 1994, although it took nearly 5 years to overcome that...

Even with the gains the NHL has made in the past few years, can they overcome the loss of a season (or even a 1/2 season)? As a fan, I can say that I'm peeved off about this... Given the inflated prices I have to pay for my team, I can say that it will be hard for me to return at that price... Although in the long run, I probably will, given my love of the game...

Other teams seem to be on much less stable ground... I just have to wonder if they will be able to weather the storm on this one... Sooner or later one of these strikes/lockouts is going to go nuclear on a league... When/where it does is yet to be seen however... How much longer can fans tolerate this?
              It be interesting to see what impact the 04-05 lockout had on attendance. I suspect that it didn't have much of an impact on the majority of the teams because the reduction in costs (at least over the short term) and the increase in league revenues. Baseball took a huge hit after the 1994 players strike and Basketball took a huge hit after the 1998-99 lockout, in both cases it was roughly a decade before attendance returned to pre-labor dispute levels.

The fact that in the last two lockouts I don't think that the owners suffered under significant drops in future revenue as a result may make them more willing to play at card again. I think that the fact that hockey fans is a smaller core group that are very ardent fans of the game is a major reason. Also, the NFL and NBA don't have the same fall/winter following in Canada that they do in the US also matters as the sports alternatives are just not as viable long term alternatives. As the NBA discovered last year, not playing games during the majority of the football season (both NFL and college) isn't a major issue, it is only after this point that fans will turn against both parties as being greedy and untrustworthy.

I'm not sure what impact only being 6 seasons removed from losing a whole season to a lockout will have on the general fan reaction, but it is influencing why the owners are generally considered the villains thus far (the owners initial proposal did not help matters, as it may have been the right negotiating move it was a disaster from a PR standpoint particularly when coupled with all of the lockout rhetoric from Bettman).

Comment

New offer from the owners today. Year one at 49% sliding down to 47% in year 6, with no redefining what HRR is in this CBA. It's about $170 million less than what the players made last season if there's a 5% increase in revenue. They also said (childishly) that they'll pull the offer on the 15th if it isn't agreed to. Fehr is looking it over.

Honestly, the players might want to consider at least making a realistic counteroffer to this one instead of coming back with crazy new economic systems like the last two times.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Bob McKenzie thinks the lockout is pretty much a given. The NHLPA has said that they will not accept any reduction in actual amount spent on player salaries, and today's offer from the owners still poses an immediate and significant rollback.

Comment

Then they're missing most or all of the season, and it's their own fault. They're not getting a new system, and they're not getting a system where they don't lose any money. Someone with brains would be screaming "We're getting less, so let's get the best "less" we can and play already."

Wonder if there will be guys missing out on the Hall because they missed two full seasons in the primes of the careers.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Re: 2012-13 NHL Thread. Fehr Thee Well??

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      New offer from the owners today. Year one at 49% sliding down to 47% in year 6, with no redefining what HRR is in this CBA. It's about $170 million less than what the players made last season if there's a 5% increase in revenue. They also said (childishly) that they'll pull the offer on the 15th if it isn't agreed to. Fehr is looking it over.

Honestly, the players might want to consider at least making a realistic counteroffer to this one instead of coming back with crazy new economic systems like the last two times.
                      I agree, the players need to come back with a 50-50 split of HRR (with no change in HRR). If they put a 50-50 split out as an offer, it would be very difficult for the owners to reject that without losing the long term PR battle.

Comment

Looks like the lockout is a go if nothing is agreed to. Gary Bettman you suck and for that...

Twitter: DanMountSports
                        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

This is too brilliant NOT to share:

Lauren Potempa ‏@NHLObsessed
                          @JoeYerdonPHT New idea to get a new CBA deal done: lock both sides in a room and show 24 hour marathon of Sarah Mclachlan SPCA ads.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Lockout has started. And upon quick glance, all players have been removed from the NHL website.

If this happens to drag on for longer than one season, could the owners decide to use PHPA players as scab players?

Or would the giant inflatable rat outside each arena with NHLPA players be enough to not make that happen?
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

*****http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg174/scaled.php?server=174&filename=stabwg1.gif&res=landing******
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sucks but it doesn't really "matter" until regular season games are lost.
                                Hopefully they can get something done but I'd bet we don't see hockey till December at least.
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X