Rampage in Colorado Movie theater.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Well, if he believes he's the Joker, remember when the Joker told Batman where he could find Dent and Rachel? It's a challenge to the police/etc to try and beat him.
    If he is going to go that far with it, why not dye his hair green instead of red?

Also, he* didn't tell them the truth. He switched the locations.

* The Joker, that is.
    Last edited by state of hockey; 07-22-2012, 04:11 AM.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: Rampage in Colorado Movie theater.

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      If he is going to go that far with it, why not dye his hair green instead of red?

Also, he* didn't tell them the truth. He switched the locations.

* The Joker, that is.
      He still told them the locations, is the point. And why red and not green? Well, the dude is insane, so don't ask me.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        One lesson that came out of Columbine was that kids in high school need to let somebody know if a classmate is acting or talking stupidly. Annecdotally I've read of several incidents of possible violence thwarted because some kid told a teacher. Maybe that's an area where we can improve our chances. We don't want to become a nation of Margaret Hamiltons, sticking our long noses into other people's business, but perhaps we could be a trifle more observant and pro-active.

While none of the residents at Holmes' apartment complex or his colleagues at the University appear to bear any responsibility for his actions, wouldn't it have been nice if somebody had noticed his many deliveries and flaming red hair and any other goofy behavior and told somebody about it? It's true that all of his behavior (that we're aware of) can be explained away. It's not against the law to be odd. And we have a deeply ingrained cultural bias in favor of letting people "do their own thing." We're far more likely to report a barking dog than we are a guy acting strangely. Still, didn't anybody see or hear anything that raised a red flag? Evidently not.
        I'm willing to give schools more leeway in investigating rumors based on the fact that they have a responsibility to protect the students (who the fast majority are minors) when they are on school grounds.

I don't feel that receiving multiple packaged and dying ones hair a unusual color is probable cause for investigating someones behavior. The sad fact of the matter, is that in the case of the solitary actor, it is impossible to have enough evidence to justify any investigation until after they have acted.

Comment

Master of the paranoid understatement. My posts are more acceptable than hearing you continue to rave about trivial examples of imperfect parenting.
          HAHAHA! A girl not going to Disneyland isn't trivial? Oh man, that's some brilliant stuff right there.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            I'm willing to give schools more leeway in investigating rumors based on the fact that they have a responsibility to protect the students (who the fast majority are minors) when they are on school grounds.

I don't feel that receiving multiple packaged and dying ones hair a unusual color is probable cause for investigating someones behavior. The sad fact of the matter, is that in the case of the solitary actor, it is impossible to have enough evidence to justify any investigation until after they have acted.
            It's not clear whether you're responding in part to my posts. I'm not talking about "probable cause" or "investigations." What I specifically mentioned was some resident of Holmes' complex complaining to management, which certainly has an obligation to check out tenants. You framed your post in legal language. And your conclusions are basically correct. But none of that should stop people from being a little more attentive.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

It's not clear whether you're responding in part to my posts. I'm not talking about "probable cause" or "investigations." What I specifically mentioned was some resident of Holmes' complex complaining to management, which certainly has an obligation to check out tenants. You framed your post in legal language. And your conclusions are basically correct. But none of that should stop people from being a little more attentive.
              Are you suggesting his neighbors should have complained he was getting too many packages or dyed his hair?
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                Are you suggesting his neighbors should have complained he was getting too many packages or dyed his hair?
                Not exactly. It's possible someone might have seen packages with certain labels on them (particularly if they were delivered to the university). It's possible someone could have seen him trying on his body armor. Possible but not probable. I guess I'm supposing these weren't the only things he was doing/saying. We learned today, for instance, that he had a looney tunes message on his answering machine. It's a total package kinda thing.

Most of us would never consider ratting out a total stranger or neighbor. And only a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of nutcakes wind up doing what Holmes did. Still. Keeping your eyes open isn't exactly a revolutionary sentiment. In any case, the odds are extremely long that an observant neighbor or colleague would have reacted to his behavior. These guys don't glow in the dark. More's the pity.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Apparently this guy applied for a membership at a gun range, and they interviewed him and heard his voicemail message and rejected him.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

And now we've entered the "blame video games" portion of the dance.

Shooter was big into RPGs, and police chief is hearing speculation he may have recently gone through a breakup. Also suspect a second party may have been the one to prop the emergency exit open.
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                      And now we've entered the "blame video games" portion of the dance.

Shooter was big into RPGs, and police chief is hearing speculation he may have recently gone through a breakup. Also suspect a second party may have been the one to prop the emergency exit open.
                      correlation/causation

Comment

Which RPG? The weapon or the game?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Also suspect a second party may have been the one to prop the emergency exit open.
                          This is what I thought after reading that someone was on a phone then went to the same emergency door as the shooter, otherwise how does the shooter open the emergency door? Aren't they usually locked from the outside?

Comment

Apparently this guy applied for a membership at a gun range, and they interviewed him and heard his voicemail message and rejected him.
                            Duran Duran ring tone?
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                              This is what I thought after reading that someone was on a phone then went to the same emergency door as the shooter, otherwise how does the shooter open the emergency door? Aren't they usually locked from the outside?
                              He bought a ticket, exited, and propped it open himself?
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                He bought a ticket, exited, and propped it open himself?
                                I thought that's what I read at some point over the weekend.
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                                Northeast Regional:
                                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X