No announcement yet.

Rampage in Colorado Movie theater.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rampage in Colorado Movie theater.

So, now authorities are saying that this attack was planned....

GEE, DO YOU F*ING THINK SO?! Hm, rigged apt, massive purchases of many weapons and ammo.....yeah, that's not an off-the-cuff one day shopping spree at the last minute.

Rocket scientists on this case, I tell ya.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Oh looky, a guy who spouts daily poutrage about dads denying Disneyland and any number of other topics, thinks it's completely acceptable to bring an infant to a midnight showing of a loud, three-hour long movie.
      Master of the paranoid understatement. My posts are more acceptable than hearing you continue to rave about trivial examples of imperfect parenting.
      Last edited by Old Pio; 07-21-2012, 10:19 PM.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I don't think it's necessarily irresponsible to bring a months old baby to a super loud late movie, but it's not the smartest thing to do, even if the baby is sleeping the whole time and is wearing earplugs. I sure as heck wouldn't do it.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I don't think it's necessarily irresponsible to bring a months old baby to a super loud late movie, but it's not the smartest thing to do, even if the baby is sleeping the whole time and is wearing earplugs. I sure as heck wouldn't do it.
          I wouldn't take a baby to a super loud movie period, but given that all most baby's that are only a few months old do is sleep eat and poop where they are at 3 am isn't all that big of deal. I have a MUCH bigger issue with taking a 3 to 10 year old to a midnight movie but it's clear that we are in a 24 hour society and for many people being out after midnight isn't that uncommon.

Comment

Was just reading the bios of the dead. One was a recent DU grad. Each of them represents a grievous loss to so many. IIRC, Colorado is a death penalty state. If so, it seems likely Holmes will pay the price. But it won't be enough.

And the reactions to this event have been so predictable and so trite. Politicians spouting bromides, Aurora officials assuring us what a great job their people did, the usual blather from talking heads and "experts" flogging their agendas. Blah, blah, blah.

There have already been the obligatory calls for more "gun control," which means, among other things, we'll be seeing more of Wayne LaPierre (I can hardly wait). And in large measure the public debate will now become one about the potential efficacy of some proposed law to stop the next Holmes. I have serious doubts, given that he violated a box car full of laws, none of which seem to deter him.

One lesson that came out of Columbine was that kids in high school need to let somebody know if a classmate is acting or talking stupidly. Annecdotally I've read of several incidents of possible violence thwarted because some kid told a teacher. Maybe that's an area where we can improve our chances. We don't want to become a nation of Margaret Hamiltons, sticking our long noses into other people's business, but perhaps we could be a trifle more observant and pro-active.

While none of the residents at Holmes' apartment complex or his colleagues at the University appear to bear any responsibility for his actions, wouldn't it have been nice if somebody had noticed his many deliveries and flaming red hair and any other goofy behavior and told somebody about it? It's true that all of his behavior (that we're aware of) can be explained away. It's not against the law to be odd. And we have a deeply ingrained cultural bias in favor of letting people "do their own thing." We're far more likely to report a barking dog than we are a guy acting strangely. Still, didn't anybody see or hear anything that raised a red flag? Evidently not.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 07-21-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I suppose it was inevitable that conspiracy theory madness (this is from an organization founded by right wing nut cake Joseph Farah) would bubble to the surface. While I didn't finish reading this nonsense, evidently they are postulating that the "government" was somehow involved and put Holmes up to it and "provided" him with his equipment and "training."

Far worse to me than the strains this stuff puts on the First Amendment, is the fact that there are people who "think" this way and others who will believe this dreck.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/was...he-government/
              Last edited by Old Pio; 07-23-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Right, but the point isn't that they are sleeping or staying quiet. It's that you're out with them at 3 am. That doesn't seem responsible to me at all. Of those people I know with infants, none of them would even think about bringing their child to a midnight showing.
                I wouldn't just because bringing a kid that young anywhere is a pain, and probably wouldn't if it is was flu/RSV season, but otherwise, as long as the kid had suitable ear protection, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. 3am isn't all that different than 3pm at that age.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Random thought that came across to me. Let's take Chris Rock's suggestion and have bullet control. $5,000 for a bullet. No more innocent bystanders.
                  Twitter: DanMountSports
                  2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    I wouldn't just because bringing a kid that young anywhere is a pain, and probably wouldn't if it is was flu/RSV season, but otherwise, as long as the kid had suitable ear protection, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. 3am isn't all that different than 3pm at that age.
                    You'd need some massive ear protection. I'm of the camp, "If it's too loud, you're too old" and movie theaters have gotten insane in the past few years. Much louder than I ever remember them. And I'm used to 120 decibel concerts.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      While none of the residents at Holmes' apartment complex or his colleagues at the University appear to bear any responsibility for his actions, wouldn't it have been nice if somebody had noticed his many deliveries and flaming red hair and any other goofy behavior and told somebody about it? It's true that all of his behavior (that we're aware of) can be explained away. It's not against the law to be odd. And we have a deeply ingrained cultural bias in favor of letting people "do their own thing." We're far more likely to report a barking dog than we are a guy acting strangely. Still, didn't anybody see or hear anything that raised a red flag? Evidently not.
                      True, but we fight asking for more government involvement even though they're the ones trained to recognize said behavior and not your average Dick and Jane. I'm not asking for more gun control because I don't believe it's the answer, but was there nothing in his buying behavior that could have triggered a flag without interfering with his civil rights? I dunno, such events create a monumental intellectual struggle - from the logical, to the heart felt, to the carnal, "I want to kill this mother fukker" with all of my might.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        True, but we fight asking for more government involvement even though they're the ones trained to recognize said behavior and not your average Dick and Jane. I'm not asking for more gun control because I don't believe it's the answer, but was there nothing in his buying behavior that could have triggered a flag without interfering with his civil rights? I dunno, such events create a monumental intellectual struggle - from the logical, to the heart felt, to the carnal, "I want to kill this mother fukker" with all of my might.
                        Agreed. I mean, I have a clean record. I could buy small amounts from many different sources, and not bat an eye. Add to that, some serious smarts in the explosives dept........

It's scary. And it's something one cannot stop. Even in a police state, if there is someone that wants to do something like this, if they are smart enough (like this guy appears to be), they will find a way.

Comment

Agreed. I mean, I have a clean record. I could buy small amounts from many different sources, and not bat an eye. Add to that, some serious smarts in the explosives dept........

It's scary. And it's something one cannot stop. Even in a police state, if there is someone that wants to do something like this, if they are smart enough (like this guy appears to be), they will find a way.
                          And that's what bothers me with the security theater that goes on at airports, government buildings, and the like. I know this is slightly unrelated. But the point is, security and gun control and all the laws in the book just keep the honest people honest, and catch the idiots. If someone wants to, they'll succeed in what they set out to do.
                          UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

Agreed. I mean, I have a clean record. I could buy small amounts from many different sources, and not bat an eye.
                            Heisenberg?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              Heisenberg?

Nice! But, no.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Certainly. We want to avoid creating an atmosphere where Hitler Jugend rat out their parents. However, hypothetically, if Holmes was playing out scenes from movies, barking at the moon, claiming he was drawing sustenance from the air, etc., wouldn't it have been nice if somebody mentioned it to someone? This can be a tough call. And, goes against much of what we take for granted as far as minding our own business is concerned. You don't want the cops busting in on every dude lip synching to Wham in his underwear.

This might be an entirely different conversation if it turns out Holmes was more than an odd duck who kept his maniacal plans to himself. If it transpires he did give some pretty significant clues (I'm sure his e-mails and social posts are being closely examined) what then?

Comment

Working...
                                X