Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesotans Still Arguing About the Weather...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesotans Still Arguing About the Weather...

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
    Dang it all, you guys are good: I *did* have to turn off the choke. But it was *oil* I had to add. So close! Or should I say

Got the call from my wife while I was in Florida and the boy was out using the snow blower that it was sounding funny and not really throwing the snow.

"Tell him to turn off the choke!"

Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      While it was years ago, I still remember driving after an ice storm once. Pulled up to a stop sign, stopped...and started to slide sideways. The street was crowned.
      Almost every road I use is crowned to one degree or another for water runoff purposes. It's pretty standard.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Morons is right. Yesterday morning, taking the dog up to Cambridge, I was turning north on 65 from Crosstown. In the left turn lane, green arrow lights up, I start to go, and check quick to make sure no one is still coming. Sure enough there is a van that looks to have no intention of stopping, going about 30 mph. They lady goes through the intersection a good 10 seconds after the light turned red, blaring on the horn, at 30 mph. That lady deserved to be t-boned, if only I didn't care about my truck. She was so late going through the red light, that by the time I waited for her dumb *** to go through, my light was yellow.
        Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        It's times like these I wonder what would happen if you had video of something like this from a dash-cam and took it to the cops... That's flat out reckless endangerment...
        Throw in a large animal walking across the street in the background and it sounds like something you would see on one of those Russian dash cam videos. Those people are nuts!!!
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Almost every road I use is crowned to one degree or another for water runoff purposes. It's pretty standard.
          Yes, crowned roads are pretty standard. sliding sideways downhill on one when you are otherwise standing still is pretty rare.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I've had enough of this ****ing snow shoveling 4 ****ing times a week, dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
              I've had enough of this ****ing snow shoveling 4 ****ing times a week, dammit.
              four times a week? yesterday we had to shovel four times in one day.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

four times a week? yesterday we had to shovel four times in one day.
                one big snowfall doesn't bother me. it's winter - it's going to happen.

it's all the little snowfalls, multiple times a week, every week, that **** me off.
                Last edited by jen; 02-14-2014, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  one big snowfall doesn't bother me. it's winter - it's going to happen.

it's all the little snowfalls, multiple times a week, every week, that **** me off.

If it were only as simple as one big snowfall...."the snow has stopped but freezing rain will start soon. Get the snow up quick before it starts raining."

"The slushy rain mix has stopped. Get the slush up quick before it freezes solid."

"ah, now it's snowing again....."

"I just finished shoveling the bottom of the driveway clear, and now a snow plow has made a second pass down the street, leaving a big pile of snow across the bottom of the driveway again? better get that up before it freezes solid and can't be moved."

Comment

If it were only as simple as one big snowfall...."the snow has stopped but freezing rain will start soon. Get the snow up quick before it starts raining."

"The slushy rain mix has stopped. Get the slush up quick before it freezes solid."

"I just finished shoveling the bottom of the driveway clear, and now a snow plow has made a second pass down the street, leaving a big pile of snow across the bottom of the driveway again? better get that up before it freezes solid and can't be moved."
                    It is called winter. If you don't like it, move to Belize.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Now expand that over the course of three to four months. We deal with it at least every third week. And we just deal with it. Especially since clearing the snow isn't even the bad part of it all.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        It is called winter. If you don't like it, move to Belize.
                        Right now that is seeming like an attractive option...

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          Right now that is seeming like an attractive option...
                          Belize is nice. They speak English in Belize.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            Belize is nice. They speak English in Belize.
                            How's the hockey though?

Comment

ah, it's nice to see karmic justice in action.

The state passed a law effective 1-1-14 that requires drivers to clear snow off the roof of their vehicle before driving, since there was a spate of highly-publicized accidents last year in which snow flying off the roof of one vehicle blinded people driving behind, resulting in some pretty bad crashes.

So I am watching an SUV with snow-covered roof pull up to a traffic light and stop. The snow on the roof slides forward, completely covering the windshield. So the genius driver turns on the windshield wipers, which pushes some snow aside, allowing even more snow to slide down from the roof onto the windshield, and now it is piling up on the hood as well.

Better your window than anyone else's, pal!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                How's the hockey though?
                                Field hockey is probably quite competitive there....

Comment

Working...
                                X