Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesotans Still Arguing About the Weather...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesotans Still Arguing About the Weather...

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    You really don't understand if you think I'm out of civilization, I'm as close to anything that matters as you are.
    You are on the innermost part of non-civilization, I'll give you that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      You really don't understand if you think I'm out of civilization, I'm as close to anything that matters as you are.
      There are things besides Fleet Farm that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        Restaurants, bars, grocery store, gas station, golf course, pizza delivery, Lowes/Menards. I don't live that close to Fleet Farm, it is about a 20 minute drive, when the grocery store is only 5 minutes away.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          I live about half a mile from a Fleet Farm and I'm inside the 694/494 loop.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I live about half a mile from a Fleet Farm and I'm inside the 694/494 loop.
            I don't think Fleet Farm has penetrated the cake eater bubble yet.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Was the snowstorm the result of St. Thomas moving to AA in hockey?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

No but the cars on the freeways made some awesome ice for hockey.

I do love how people are complaining about MnDOT and yet they did all they could. The freeways are bad because of the type of snow that fell, the temperatures that occured before and after the storm and cars driving on the freeways. Hopefully today will make the roads back to normal. It is supposed to reach temps that allow for the salt and other chemicals to be activated.

Does anyone get their car washed after driving on salty or slushy roads? I'm hoping to prevent rusting on the bottom of my car.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post

I do love how people are complaining about MnDOT and yet they did all they could. The freeways are bad because of the type of snow that fell, the temperatures that occured before and after the storm and cars driving on the freeways. Hopefully today will make the roads back to normal. It is supposed to reach temps that allow for the salt and other chemicals to be activated.

Does anyone get their car washed after driving on salty or slushy roads? I'm hoping to prevent rusting on the bottom of my car.
                  Down here in MD we have snows few and far between, but the DOT's are very liberal in salt usage, so the first clear day after I run to the car wash and get the works, making sure it cleans the bottom of the car to get the salt off.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I wasn't out driving around on Sunday, so I can't speak to the MnDOT plows, but I know the Dakota County plows were on the ball this time. I heard them go by my house at least three times Sunday.

In years past, however, MnDOT had a policy that would have put these road conditions squarely upon them. There used to be a standing order that most roads wouldn't get plowed until the storm officially ended with exception to the freeways. I think that changed with some public outcry and cost of repair work that policy led to for the roads.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The roads around my house were still snow-packed this morning. In my opinion, that is better than burying them in salt. Leave them snow-packed, there isn't anything wrong with it. Major highways obviously are different, but smaller roads...

I will probably wash my truck later this week, when the roads get a little better. The highways around me are still sloppy with that terrible salty slush ****.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

You can try to keep the bottom of your car rust free but it's not a fight worth having. Weekly carwashes (spaced out or tightly together as necessary) are about the only thing you can do. But even that's futile for the most part.

Also, MnDOT adjusts which salt they use and how they apply it based on the temperature. Anything above say 10 degF will be fine since they probably use a variety of chlorine salts including sodium, calcium, and magnesium. All of them have different ranges where they're effective.

For instance, I use the calcium chloride on my driveway since it's north-facing and sloped. Sun rarely hits it in the winter. So if it's very cold out, the sodium chloride just won't work while the calcium will.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Anoka County blows when it comes to the whole plowing thing. But then again, Anoka County blows at everything.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            You can try to keep the bottom of your car rust free but it's not a fight worth having. Weekly carwashes (spaced out or tightly together as necessary) are about the only thing you can do. But even that's futile for the most part.

Also, MnDOT adjusts which salt they use and how they apply it based on the temperature. Anything above say 10 degF will be fine since they probably use a variety of chlorine salts including sodium, calcium, and magnesium. All of them have different ranges where they're effective.

For instance, I use the calcium chloride on my driveway since it's north-facing and sloped. Sun rarely hits it in the winter. So if it's very cold out, the sodium chloride just won't work while the calcium will.
                            Well that is disapointing to hear. I guess there isn't much I can do to protect my new car.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Well that is disapointing to hear. I guess there isn't much I can do to protect my new car.
                              Short of just leaving it parked in the garage, nope.
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Und...m+undercoating
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X