This is not a thread about the Minnesota Wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Emery might get overpaid, but will he be as overpaid as Backstrom?
    Backstrom is gonna have a tough time getting 6 million after this season.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Emery might get overpaid, but will he be as overpaid as Backstrom?
      There's the rub.

As hard as I am on Backstrom, I don't think he is terrible. He's just terrible for $6,000,000 a year. If he is willing to take a big pay cut keep him. Doubt that is the case.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: This is not a thread about the Minnesota Wild

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        Backstrom is gonna have a tough time getting 6 million after this season.
        I haven't paid attention, truth be told. Backstrom is an UFA? Let him go, if so.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          There's the rub.

As hard as I am on Backstrom, I don't think he is terrible. He's just terrible for $6,000,000 a year. If he is willing to take a big pay cut keep him. Doubt that is the case.
          Agree one hundred percent. Toronto will pay him 4.5-5 million for two years.

Brent, he's a UFA.
          AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
            Agree one hundred percent. Toronto will pay him 4.5-5 million for two years.

Brent, he's a UFA.
            Let him go. Throw an insulting offer, and watch him wave bye-bye.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I'd give him a 3 year, 7 million dollar contract. Wouldn't go higher, though.
              AF 99

Comment

Pretty much.

Really, us Wild fans are dealing with a problem most teams have for the first time. There hasn't really been a goalie issue before. Moving away from the all-out trap has a lot to do with it.

But boy, when the issue hit it was a doozy. One is massively overpaid, one has effing MS, the other is a career backup. Cripes.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

An interesting name to consider for the Wild would be former Wild prospect Anton Khudobin from Boston. He was the #2 goalie there but put up great numbers although he only played 800 minutes...
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    An interesting name to consider for the Wild would be former Wild prospect Anton Khudobin from Boston. He was the #2 goalie there but put up great numbers although he only played 800 minutes...
                    Did we trade him? I'm trying to think of who we have that we might have gotten for him.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Did we trade him? I'm trying to think of who we have that we might have gotten for him.
                      "Khudobin was traded to the Boston Bruins on February 28, 2011 in exchange for Jeff Penner and Mikko Lehtonen."
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

"Khudobin was traded to the Boston Bruins on February 28, 2011 in exchange for Jeff Penner and Mikko Lehtonen."
                        Another Wild trade where they netted nothing.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Also: Any time you're forced to put Stephane Veilleux on the ice in the playoffs, you should know that you're in deep ****.

How cap-tied are we?

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Also: Any time you're forced to put Stephane Veilleux on the ice in the playoffs, you should know that you're in deep ****.

How cap-tied are we?
                            The Wild have 17 players under contract for 2013-14 and approximately 9mil in cap space if they don't buy anyone out.

Free Agents include:
                            UFAs: Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Matt Cullen, Brett Clark(?), Niklas Backstrom
                            Non-Roster UFAs: Jarod Palmer, Drew Bagnall, Stephane Veilleux, David McIntyre, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers
                            RFAs: Cal Clutterbuck, Carson McMillan, Justin Falk, Jared Spurgeon
                            Non-Roster RFAs: Tyler Cuma, Steven Kampfer, Marco Scandella, Justin Fontaine, Kyle Medvec, Joel Broda

The 17:
                            Forwards: Zach Parise, Dany Heatley (1), Mikko Koivu (5), Jason Pominville (1), Devin Setoguchi (1), Kyle Brodziak (2), Torrey Mitchell (2), Charlie Coyle (2*), Zenon Konopka (1), Jake Dowell (1)
                            Defenseman: Ryan Suter, Tom Gilbert (1), Jonas Brodin (2*), Clayton Stoner (1), Nate Prosser (1)
                            Goalies: Josh Harding (2)
                            Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 05-10-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I guess the good news is that the list of "must resign" free agents is very short. I'd focus on some combination of Cullen, Backstrom, Clutterbuck, Falk and Spurgeon, and not necessarily all of them. Hopefully when we decide to trade some of our depth players at next year's deadline, we can get some draft picks out of it. Not sure how much value there really is in having the Konopkas and Veilleuxs of the world, and I'd rather trade for picks and prospects than guys who are lucky to be on the fourth line.

Comment

The Wild have 17 players under contract for 2013-14 and approximately 9mil in cap space if they don't buy anyone out.

Free Agents include:
                                UFAs: Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Matt Cullen, Brett Clark(?), Niklas Backstrom
                                Non-Roster UFAs: Jarod Palmer, Drew Bagnall, Stephane Veilleux, David McIntyre, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers
                                RFAs: Cal Clutterbuck, Carson McMillan, Justin Falk, Jared Spurgeon
                                Non-Roster RFAs: Tyler Cuma, Steven Kampfer, Marco Scandella, Justin Fontaine, Kyle Medvec, Joel Broda

The 17:
                                Forwards: Zach Parise, Dany Heatley (1), Mikko Koivu (5), Jason Pominville (1), Devin Setoguchi (1), Kyle Brodziak (2), Torrey Mitchell (2), Charlie Coyle (2*), Zenon Konopka (1), Jake Dowell (1)
                                Defenseman: Ryan Suter, Tom Gilbert (1), Jonas Brodin (2*), Clayton Stoner (1), Nate Prosser (1)
                                Goalies: Josh Harding (2)
                                Re-sign Cullen for a year, give Spurgeon a 3 year deal, that isn't big money, but above where he is with his entry-level deal, and offer a deal to Clutterbuck. Scandella is the one name from the non-roster guys that I think they need to lock up. I'd also like to see some of them signed to small contracts, 2-way contracts, AHL contracts or whatever for depth reasons.

Development from Zucker, Coyle and Dumba will be key, but especially Granlund. He needs to be become the player everyone thinks he can be. I think we still need a top line center, because I don't think Koivu is that guy. Koivu is perfect for a 2nd line, but not the top line. Hopefully Granlund develops into that, but in the meantime, I think we have to go with Koivu.

I also think, that if this team is going to be a cup contender at some point in the next 2-5 years, Clutterbuck has to be on the 4th line. Nothing against him, but we need enough talent, ahead of him, to fill out 3 complete lines, if the Wild are going to compete for a Cup. I look at this as a kind of litmus test, if the Wild can fill out 3 lines, without Clutterbuck being in that mix, I think that the talent and depth have improved enough to make a Cup run. I doubt they'll be there next year.

The forwards that should be on this team next year: Parise, Koivu, Coyle, Zucker, Pominville, Cullen, Setoguchi, Heatley, Clutterbuck, Granlund, Brodziak, Mitchell, Konopka, Dowell, are still short on the talent needed, barring development from the Coyles, Zuckers, and Granlunds. I don't expect any free agency help whatsoever, after the huge splash last year. I'm guessing we'll be looking at Parise-Koivu-Coyle, Cullen-Setoguchi-Zucker, Pominville-Granlund-Heatley, Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Mitchell starting off next season.

I'm much more optimistic about the defense. Suter-Brodin is rock solid, and will only be better next year. I expect Scandella to be with the team all season, and be paired with Spurgeon. Add in Stoner, Falk, Gilbert and Dumba to round it out, and it looks pretty good. I actually wouldn't mind if Falk wasn't resigned, because I think Dumba will be ready to step in from day 1 next season.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X