X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012 -- Kull Wahad!!!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Ummmm...where was all the job growth that unfettered capitalism is supposed to bring during the regulation cutting Bush administration?
    Yeah, I understand your excessive use of hyperbole, but we haven't had unfettered capitalism in this country since before most of our grandparents were born.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I am amused by how conservatives (Fishy for example, Old PO'd too) want to pretend the time from 2001-2009 never happened. Fortunately for those of us with good memories, we saw a practical application of when the country is governed by conservative economic policy. So lets recap:

#1) Tax cuts for the rich spurs the economy. Result: Bush admin lowest economic growth since like Hoover.

#2) Cutting regulation increases job growth. Result: I don't seem to recall too much job growth in the first decade of this century.

But, we're supposed to do this all over again with Mittens? I'll pass.

BTW - I noticed Bill Clinton will be given a prime time speaking spot at the convention. Will George W Bush do the same? After all, who better to explain Romney's economic platform than the former Prez!
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        And co-chaired by Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck...
        Yeah they are almost ABC news
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Given the state of the media today, I'm amused by the need to call it tilted one way or the other when it can be more easily explained away by stupidity and the need to be first with whatever information they've found, accurate or not, in a failing effort to keep themselves relevant. The half dozen bombs that exploded on the mall in Washington on 9/11 after Al Gore won Florida in 2000 at 8:40pm wasn't a dead giveaway? Nah. Easier to claim a mass conspiracy.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            Given the state of the media today, I'm amused by the need to call it tilted one way or the other when it can be more easily explained away by stupidity and the need to be first with whatever information they've found, accurate or not, in a failing effort to keep themselves relevant. The half dozen bombs that exploded on the mall in Washington on 9/11 after Al Gore won Florida in 2000 at 8:40pm wasn't a dead giveaway? Nah. Easier to claim a mass conspiracy.
            Who used the words "mass" or "conspiracy"? Hillary used the words "vast right wing conspiracy," of course. Why is it so hard to grasp the concept that liberals, for the most part, are in charge and do the reporting for the MSM? In poll after poll, 70% of them say they vote Democratic, why is that news? And why is it denied? And why is it assumed that doesn't impact the coverage?
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Great week for R-Money: insults the Brits and makes racist remarks at a fundraiser. He's showing that he's a true RepubliKKKan!
              1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                Great week for R-Money: insults the Brits and makes racist remarks at a fundraiser. He's showing that he's a true RepubliKKKan!
                I guess all those empty seats at the venues prove how off the mark he was, questioning their preparedness. And by "racist remarks" are you referring to the reporting of his fundraiser in Israel? Not troubled at all, evidently, that the Palestinian source for that "reporting" is the their equivalent of Baghdad Bob. Like, for instance, his totally bogus claims about an Israeli "massacre" at Jenin.

He didn't use the phrase "Jewish culture," and didn't impute superiority to it. Although he wouldn't have been wrong if he had.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

He turned the Olympics into a net negative. He basically Swift Boated himself. Impressive. And he reinforced the impression that Republicans are confused, weak and desperate on national security and foreign policy.

Meanwhile Obama has been running positive ads that lay out the exact philosophical difference between him and the Republicans. So Obama won the week on both optics and substance.

I think monthly economic numbers come out Friday, and they're supposed to be flat, so in a normal world Romney would benefit from that, but I am starting to just wait for whatever the self-inflicted wound will be this week. That's the game one used to play with the Dems. I never thought we would ever see the day when it was the Republicans who were incompetent at campaigning; that used to be the one thing they were good at.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    Who used the words "mass" or "conspiracy"? Hillary used the words "vast right wing conspiracy," of course. Why is it so hard to grasp the concept that liberals, for the most part, are in charge and do the reporting for the MSM? In poll after poll, 70% of them say they vote Democratic, why is that news? And why is it denied? And why is it assumed that doesn't impact the coverage?
                    Occam's razor. It's easier to explain away by stupidity and the desperate need for ratings and being first. CNN legal analysts read the first half dozen paragraphs of a 70 page court ruling and go with "Law struck down." ABC google searches shooters name, sees Tea Party connection, runs with it before anyone bothered to match ages. Even if you want to ascribe it to malice, it's some of the dumbest farking malice possible since it stands up to about .8 seconds worth of scrutiny.

A truly liberal media would be tearing Romney to pieces every time he blunders- "Why are you insulting our longest standing allies in Europe? When you say Israel's GDP is higher because of their superior culture, is that because Arabs are dirty brown people?" Instead, we have a horse race mentality where they're going to want it to be close for as long as possible, something they were even doing with the Republican primary simply because it garners better ratings.

Stupidity and need to be first fits a lot better than bias.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I'm willing to be there's not a single election ever in which OP would vote for Mittster, but it doesn't take him long to go Pavlov when he catches wind of criticism.
                      Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-30-2012, 05:38 PM.

Comment

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Apparently the Dems are going to include a pro gay marriage plank in their platform.

Good or bad idea?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Apparently the Dems are going to include a pro gay marriage plank in their platform.

Good or bad idea?
                            Founders came here to seek freedom from religion. Any true constitutional conservative should embrace this.

However who cares. **** who you want.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Founders came here to seek freedom from religion. Any true constitutional conservative should embrace this.

However who cares. **** who you want.
                              I would argue that it's not a freedom from religion, rather a freedom of religion. Stating that it's a freedom from religion would be to say that we make a concerted effort to banish it from our lives instead of a freedom of religion which allows us to choose what to believe - if anything at all. Quite frankly, when you look at the population of this nation as a whole, we can see that a freedom from religion is just not happening. As a man without religion, trust me when I say that I see its shaping in so many things we do as a country. While I don't fight it, knowing that I'm something like a meager 5-12% of the population, I certainly do see it with wide regularity. I have a friend who's very smart in most everything I see her do, but then when it comes to her religious beliefs, she's one of those who say that the world is about 6,000 years old, and that the oceanic fossils found in the Canadian Rockies is proof that God once flooded the Earth, not that tectonic plate movement pushed that ground from below sea-level to form the mountains. While her case is extreme, it's not nearly as rare as I would have thought just 10 years ago.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Founders came here to seek freedom from religion.
                                A nit: the Founders believed in religious freedom, but they were mostly born in the colonies. The separatists who initially colonized America were almost all intolerant religious zealots who wanted a place where they could impose their religion. Roger Williams was an anomaly, almost everybody else was an asshole.

Having said which, it's obvious that sincere conservatives should be helping destroy this last shameful bigotry rather than squeezing a few more votes out of it. Southern whites still haven't lived down how horribly wrong they were on race in the 50's and 60's, and fundies are going to carry the stigma about these times well into the future.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 07-30-2012, 07:07 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X