Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Andy Griffith has died at age 86

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    The guy won a Grammy for an album of old spirituals. And in the original Mayberry episodes, he occasionally got out the git-box and sang along. All those episodes featuring the hillbilly Darlings and their patriarch Briscoe (played by Denver Pyle) had some pickin' and grinnin'.
    I did know that he was a pretty accomplished musician; didn't know he won a grammy. I also don't think that I ever picked up that that was Denver Pyle.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      In honour, WGN is doing a Matlock marathon.

From 1958, as he signs in:

It would have been great if, instead of asking about Radio City Music Hall, Jack Lemon had started whistling the Andy Griffith, just to see the reaction from the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
        I did know that he was a pretty accomplished musician; didn't know he won a grammy. I also don't think that I ever picked up that that was Denver Pyle.
        The guy who gave Andy, Barney and the Darlings fits was Ernest T. Bass. He was played by Howard Morris, who was one of the key guys on the old Sid Ceasar show (along with Carl Reiner). Ceasar hired Morris, in part, because he could pick him up and carry him around under one arm, like a suit case.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 07-06-2012, 12:27 AM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

It would have been great if, instead of asking about Radio City Music Hall, Jack Lemon had started whistling the Andy Griffith, just to see the reaction from the crowd.
          Arlene Francis didn't like "extracurricular" happenings on the show, hence why the celebrity only had a very short time to plug what they were doing, and the contestant never had the chance to demonstrate a weird line.

Comment

But this was 2 years prior to the debut of the Andy Griffith Show, wasn't it?
            "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally, the "What's My Line" panel included comedian Fred Allen. When he died, they never replaced him, instead having a guest panelist every week. Ernie Kovacs was on the show from time to time, and if the contestant dealt with a "product," his first question was always: "Can you fold it?" On one occasion, the guest manufactured hideaway beds (a set up, obviously). John Daley said: "He deals in a product. We'll begin the questioning with Ernie Kovacs." Ernie asked: "Can you fold it." The guy answered in the affirmative. Ernie said: "Beds?" Game over. No money won.

Comment

Originally, the "What's My Line" panel included comedian Fred Allen. When he died, they never replaced him, instead having a guest panelist every week. Ernie Kovacs was on the show from time to time, and if the contestant dealt with a "product," his first question was always: "Can you fold it?" On one occasion, the guest manufactured hideaway beds (a set up, obviously). John Daley said: "He deals in a product. We'll begin the questioning with Ernie Kovacs." Ernie asked: "Can you fold it." The guy answered in the affirmative. Ernie said: "Beds?" Game over. No money won.
                Before Fred Allen was Steve Allen (prior to his departure to LA to do The Tonight Show), who commonly asked about products, "Is it bigger than a bread box?" Of course they had a bread box maker come in, and wise Dorothy Kilgallen asked "Is it bigger than a bird bath?" Steve was married 46 years to Jayne Meadows, while Dorothy was very sadly murdered by the government for her knowledge of the Kennedy assassination.

Comment

Before Fred Allen was Steve Allen (prior to his departure to LA to do The Tonight Show), who commonly asked about products, "Is it bigger than a bread box?" Of course they had a bread box maker come in, and wise Dorothy Kilgallen asked "Is it bigger than a bird bath?" Steve was married 46 years to Jayne Meadows, while Dorothy was very sadly murdered by the government for her knowledge of the Kennedy assassination.
                  The booze and the sleeping pills had nothing to do with it, eh? Jayne Meadows' sister, Audrey, was famous for playing Alice Kramden. But she didn't originate the role. Who did?
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 07-06-2012, 02:34 PM.

Comment

The booze and the sleeping pills had nothing to do with it, eh? Jayne Meadows' sister, Audrey, was famous for playing Alice Kramden. But she didn't originate the role. Who did?
                    Seems oddly coincidental that she was going to release her article exposing the whole thing that week, eh?

I did not follow the Meadows sisters' careers well enough to answer that question, although Jayne was on a Mathnet episode.

Comment

Seems oddly coincidental that she was going to release her article exposing the whole thing that week, eh?

I did not follow the Meadows sisters' careers well enough to answer that question, although Jayne was on a Mathnet episode.
                      Post hoc ergo propter hoc. I'll tell you what's oddly coincidental, Mark Lane's STILL alive. I should think he would be at or near the top of people needing whacking by the "conspiracy."

The lady's name was Pert Kelton. She played Marian the Librarian's mom in "Music Man." I never had any difficulty differentiating the Meadow's sisters from the Gabors. The Meadow's girls had talent, and not just in the show business sense. Audrey was married for many years to Bob Six, chairman of Continental Airlines.

Comment

Post hoc ergo propter hoc. I'll tell you what's oddly coincidental, Mark Lane's STILL alive. I should think he would be at or near the top of people needing whacking by the "conspiracy."
                        Perhaps because he complies in preaching exactly what the government wants him to preach...

Comment

Perhaps because he complies in preaching exactly what the government wants him to preach...
                          Maybe we're talking about different Mark Lanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X