• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stereotype vs Prejudice

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Screw the Irish.

What were we talking about again?
    Hey hey hey hey. * you. Care to dance, you swine?

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
      You know how offensive it is, yet continue to use it yourself?? That makes you either a leftie dooshebag or a rightie dip5hit.
      Tea bagger, talk about offensive!
      *****http://alturl.com/46y6p******

Comment

Man, I hate white people.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          Man, I hate white people.
          *****http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a748/a748.gif******
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yes, Asian women are horrible drivers!
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

We had an interesting discussion that slavery was not racist but tribal.

The facts seem to fit on both sides. The English have a long history of dominating other groups, from the Scots to the Welsh to the Irish to the Indians to the native Americans. They actually treated the Irish more harshly than they treated slaves...at least they fed their slaves, yet when the Irish (when under British rule) faced starvation, the English continued to ship food for export and passed laws making it illegal for English landlords in Ireland to divert food to the indigenous people.

So the English treated everyone else as their servants, not merely blacks....so for the "oppressor" it was tribal not racial.

Same thing on the slave side: the blacks were not enslaved by whites, they were first enslaved by other blacks who then sold them to the slave traders. Yes, slavery started as black on black crime, a tool of tribal warfare.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Unless you would come to the same conclusion if the three youths are white, that is a racist conclusion.I think the term you are looking for here is "Tea Partier." Try Googling what you wrote. Then stop using it, it is really offensive.
                You know how offensive it is, yet continue to use it yourself?? That makes you either a leftie dooshebag or a rightie dip5hit.

Thanks to the bump today by FF, I saw this.

Ummm, as I remember it, the tea-baggers were calling themselves this until they found out what it meant outside of puritanical circles. Of course, those of us who had heard of it and other things like the Dirty Sanchez and "Santorum" were giggling to ourselves.

After a quick Google, I found this which confirms that I was remembering it correctly...

http://theweek.com/article/index/202...ord-tea-bagger

"The grassroots movement didn't always consider "tea bagger" a slur: Early Tea Partiers innocently embraced the term until they discovered its vulgar connotations (see also the 1998 John Waters movie Pecker)."

Conservative shut-ins sure can be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

The facts seem to fit on both sides. The English have a long history of dominating other groups, from the Scots to the Welsh to the Irish to the Indians to the native Americans. They actually treated the Irish more harshly than they treated slaves...at least they fed their slaves, yet when the Irish (when under British rule) faced starvation, the English continued to ship food for export and passed laws making it illegal for English landlords in Ireland to divert food to the indigenous people.

So the English treated everyone else as their servants, not merely blacks....so for the "oppressor" it was tribal not racial.

Same thing on the slave side: the blacks were not enslaved by whites, they were first enslaved by other blacks who then sold them to the slave traders. Yes, slavery started as black on black crime, a tool of tribal warfare.
                  Agreed. Brent and I had a similar conversation this weekend. It all depends on the timeframe. Now we realize that slavery is pretty ****ty, but back in the day, it was just the way it was. It wasn't "wrong" back then, because it was an accepted practice, but luckily our society evolved and now it is considered terrible.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

I don't think it's anything specific to the English though. I'd say it's more like, for the most part in human history, the more powerful group dominated and enslaved the less powerful group(s).
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      Thanks to the bump today by FF, I saw this.

Ummm, as I remember it, the tea-baggers were calling themselves this until they found out what it meant outside of puritanical circles. Of course, those of us who had heard of it and other things like the Dirty Sanchez and "Santorum" were giggling to ourselves.

After a quick Google, I found this which confirms that I was remembering it correctly...

http://theweek.com/article/index/202...ord-tea-bagger

"The grassroots movement didn't always consider "tea bagger" a slur: Early Tea Partiers innocently embraced the term until they discovered its vulgar connotations (see also the 1998 John Waters movie Pecker)."

Conservative shut-ins sure can be fun.
                      It was a term used by a couple of people... And then Rachel Maddow decided to blast it far and wide as the epithet to use because a very limited "them" used it so that made it OK in the hearts of liberals. The words of a dumb few become the epithet for the enlightened many.

It's a reminder that liberals need to hate and take joy in that hateful sense of superiority. The rapidity that the term entered the nomenclature in this sense only serves to confirm this.

But please, pat yourself on the back for being enlightened. Sure you might be wrong but since when did that stop anybody? Some of us actually do remember history in real-time.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Unless you would come to the same conclusion if the three youths are white, that is a racist conclusion.I think the term you are looking for here is "Tea Partier." Try Googling what you wrote. Then stop using it, it is really offensive.
                        Originally posted by Patman View Post
                        It was a term used by a couple of people... And then Rachel Maddow decided to blast it far and wide as the epithet to use because a very limited "them" used it so that made it OK in the hearts of liberals. The words of a dumb few become the epithet for the enlightened many.

It's a reminder that liberals need to hate and take joy in that hateful sense of superiority. The rapidity that the term entered the nomenclature in this sense only serves to confirm this.

But please, pat yourself on the back for being enlightened. Sure you might be wrong but since when did that stop anybody? Some of us actually do remember history in real-time.

I actually heard it and snickered in superiority before Maddow did her piece. Thanks for clarifying my own personal timeline for me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                          I don't think it's anything specific to the English though. I'd say it's more like, for the most part in human history, the more powerful group dominated and enslaved the less powerful group(s).
                          The same basic model has always been followed. What has evolved (primarily through technology) is the basis of power:

1. Brute force
                          2. Religious mysticism
                          3. Family pedigree
                          4. Money
                          5. Information
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X