Did they really mean to say that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they really mean to say that?

If you have examples of any humorous (or tragic, for that matter...) misunderstandings or mistranslations due to linguistic or cultural differences that you'd like to share....

I had leftover Chinese for lunch today, and my fortune cookie said:

It's all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.
    To me that sounds too much like vomiting!
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Re: Did they really mean to say that?

Oh, it has to be cultural differences? There was recently an article whose headline I think said something like "6000 RIM jobs on the line"...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Oh, it has to be cultural differences? There was recently an article whose headline I think said something like "6000 RIM jobs on the line"...
      Sounds like those people should do some serious butt-kissing
      SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
      UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
      Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
      Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
      UMD Football: 2008, 2010
      UMD Men: 2011

Comment

or when the newspaper headlines say something like "Obama deals blow to coal mining lobby." I thought he gave up drugs once he left Columbia?

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Saw a newspaper headline: "Child's Stool Great for Gardening"
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I guess this item fits here, at least as well as it fits in any existing thread....

Not sure if this is urban legend or based on a true story, supposedly in the early days of vanity license plates, there was this guy in California who got the plate "NO NE" (who knows, maybe he was from New Orleans and his wife was from Nebraska?). Anyway, within a year he accumulated something like $271,000 in parking tickets.

You see, if police ticket a car that has no plates on them, what do they write in the "license plate" section of the ticket?

Comment

Wisconsin Recall Comes Down to Who Gets More Voters to Polls -- CNN Headline

Comment

Working...
              X