Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

We got our power back after 3 days. Expensive weekend, but it could have been worse -- I have co-workers in rural areas who aren't expected to get theirs back for another 4-5 days.

Turns out 92 mph gusts aren't good for trees. Go figure. That storm was freaky -- the only time I've ever herded the family into the basement.

joe, you can use my freezer (since it's now empty) but I'm sure anything you had is already spoiled. If you have Potomac Edison, they have an excellent outage map.
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-02-2012, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Big T-Storm went through the DC Area last night. Lost power and the local utility has said they will spend the next 2 days evaluating before they start fixing. 7 days max. Longest I've been without power was 3 days back in September 2003.

I'm at my daughter's house charging the computer and cell phones up. She lives 9 miles away.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied
    Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Might be bad, think they've had bit of a drought there recently. if the soil is still really dry there, all that rain is just going to run off of it like it was concrete.
    They're already soaked. Had 1-2ft of rain a few weeks ago, so this won't be helping.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    It's not moving very fast either. Looks like a big rainmaker in the panhandle / SE Alabama. How bad do they flood down there?
    Might be bad, think they've had bit of a drought there recently. if the soil is still really dry there, all that rain is just going to run off of it like it was concrete.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Tracking to the panhandle. Guess Debbie got scared of me. Now she'll go topple my house in Tampa as payback probably.
    It's not moving very fast either. Looks like a big rainmaker in the panhandle / SE Alabama. How bad do they flood down there?

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Tracking to the panhandle. Guess Debbie got scared of me. Now she'll go topple my house in Tampa as payback probably.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied
    Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Might kick up enough to make you ride a little rough, but you should be fine.
    Sounds like 10-12 ft seas from Louisiana to mobile through the better part of the week, I suspect we will be turning north for the Mississippi river.

edit: Just looked at the latest projections, bbdl will be happy to see the it tracking almost right over NOLA despite only being a cat 1 or a strong TS for landfall. I'm guessing zero chance we will be continuing east for Mobile now.
    Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 06-24-2012, 02:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied
    Maybe. It would have to track to the northern edge of the projection to have a direct impact. We're probably 3 days from New Orleans if we go that way, otherwise 2.5 to Morgan City before turning north towards the Mississippi up in Baton Rouge or further north than that. We're obviously keeping a close eye on it but not too worried at this point.
    Might kick up enough to make you ride a little rough, but you should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    It looks like you are headed into it. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...?5day#contents
    Maybe. It would have to track to the northern edge of the projection to have a direct impact. We're probably 3 days from New Orleans if we go that way, otherwise 2.5 to Morgan City before turning north towards the Mississippi up in Baton Rouge or further north than that. We're obviously keeping a close eye on it but not too worried at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

TS Debbie. I'm on the tugboat in Houston, headed east for either New Orleans/Mobile/Baton Rouge then north. Bring it on Debbie!!
    It looks like you are headed into it. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...?5day#contents

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

TS Debbie. I'm on the tugboat in Houston, headed east for either New Orleans/Mobile/Baton Rouge then north. Bring it on Debbie!!

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    And just in time we're under tornado warning.
    Might get another one in about an hour.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

TS Chris http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3...daynl#contents

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Subscribed because Minnesotans are going to argue about the weather in here too.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    The season officially starts today.
    And just in time we're under tornado warning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X