Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigblue_dl
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Not sure if you've not looked at a map any time recently, but New Orleans isn't on the coast. It's quite a way up the Mississippi from the coast.

There's some area that makes it look close, but there's a big river there.

Gulfport- that's on the water. Mobile is more on the water than New Orleans is. Panama City- now that's on the water. Galveston- right there.

There are a lot more exposed places for Hurricanes than New Orleans is. Yet we love to rip on in.

How about all of the oil rigs- they are even RIGHT ON THE WATER. And we see ok with the insurance paying for those.
    That "land" between New Orleans and the gulf is just bayous that do absolutely nothing to stop any storm surge. Also Ponchartrain and Borgne are open to the gulf. Saying that New Orleans isn't on the coast is not an accurate representation, because the end result is, it may as well be.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    I kind of doubt that. While we think that this is Katrina 2.0, it is very rare that this double hit ever happens. Andrew is now over 20 year past, and Miami has yet to be hit again. Most of the focus here is the lower lying areas in the delta, which doesn't get hit nearly as oftent as the US Carribbean Islands do- St. Thomas, Johns, Croix, Vieques, Culebra, and Puerto Rico. Even on those islands, the serious hurricanes are very few and far between.

While just this year, way outside of Tornado alley, Dexter MI has been hit twice- not in the same place, but close.

So lets not pretend that these areas get hit all the time- they don't- relative to other natural disasters.

If that's the criteria, LA and SF should have moved in the 80's- yet they rebuilt right on top of well known faults.

Why do we focus on New Orleans over any other place that has regular disasters?
    They be black!

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Oh, I don't know, maybe because its a coastal city that is below sea-level.
    Not sure if you've not looked at a map any time recently, but New Orleans isn't on the coast. It's quite a way up the Mississippi from the coast.

There's some area that makes it look close, but there's a big river there.

Gulfport- that's on the water. Mobile is more on the water than New Orleans is. Panama City- now that's on the water. Galveston- right there.

There are a lot more exposed places for Hurricanes than New Orleans is. Yet we love to rip on in.

How about all of the oil rigs- they are even RIGHT ON THE WATER. And we see ok with the insurance paying for those.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Oh, I don't know, maybe because its a coastal city that is below sea-level.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    I'd agree if it wasn't the government that backed the insurance and paid out millions on a regular basis to these regions.

Odds of buying a house in tornado ally and having that house damaged by a tornado is tiny compared to the odds of having a house on the coast damaged over the same period by a hurricane.
    I kind of doubt that. While we think that this is Katrina 2.0, it is very rare that this double hit ever happens. Andrew is now over 20 year past, and Miami has yet to be hit again. Most of the focus here is the lower lying areas in the delta, which doesn't get hit nearly as oftent as the US Carribbean Islands do- St. Thomas, Johns, Croix, Vieques, Culebra, and Puerto Rico. Even on those islands, the serious hurricanes are very few and far between.

While just this year, way outside of Tornado alley, Dexter MI has been hit twice- not in the same place, but close.

So lets not pretend that these areas get hit all the time- they don't- relative to other natural disasters.

If that's the criteria, LA and SF should have moved in the 80's- yet they rebuilt right on top of well known faults.

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Meh, people rebuild in Tornado Alley all the time. People live on the sides of volcanoes, ferchrissakes.

I'm for letting insurance rates engineer it.
    I'd agree if it wasn't the government that backed the insurance and paid out millions on a regular basis to these regions.

Odds of buying a house in tornado ally and having that house damaged by a tornado is tiny compared to the odds of having a house on the coast damaged over the same period by a hurricane.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I don't know the statistics about a house burning down in a forest fire, in the same location multiple times, but if its as frequent as New Orleans gets hit by hurricanes, no way I'd rebuild. Being below sea level is like building a forest full of dry kindling with boy scouts starting fires in it.
    Meh, people rebuild in Tornado Alley all the time. People live on the sides of volcanoes, ferchrissakes.

I'm for letting insurance rates engineer it.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

So, if your house burns down in a forest fire, your rebuild?
    I don't know the statistics about a house burning down in a forest fire, in the same location multiple times, but if its as frequent as New Orleans gets hit by hurricanes, no way I'd rebuild. Being below sea level is like building a forest full of dry kindling with boy scouts starting fires in it.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

I just saw some moron on TV saying that his entire town was just destroyed, and he vowed to rebuild. These people, that live in these places deserve everything they get. I hope they're denied by insurance companies for homeowner insurance.

Also, why are they rescuing the people that are so stupid that they decided to ignore the warnings? Let them figure it out themselves.
    So, if your house burns down in a forest fire, your rebuild?

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

I just saw some moron on TV saying that his entire town was just destroyed, and he vowed to rebuild. These people, that live in these places deserve everything they get. I hope they're denied by insurance companies for homeowner insurance.

Also, why are they rescuing the people that are so stupid that they decided to ignore the warnings? Let them figure it out themselves.
    IIRC towns in flood plains along the Mississippi have been told by the Corps of Engineers and other gov't bodies to move to higher ground or you're not going to be eligible for flood insurance in the future. Generally they move,

Of course, higher ground in the Delta is not high at all.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Flooding problem for the Mississippi??

*****http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0912W5_NL_sm2+gif/151338W5_NL_sm.gif******
    eh, the River has been down all year due to the drought. Maybe in a few select spots where its really low laying and the ground is all dried out to where the water can't soak into the ground, but it shouldn't be that bad all and all. Might have a levee failure somewhere because the water jumps up on it quick and eats away at it. But maybe one or 2 of them at the most.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Flooding problem for the Mississippi??

*****http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0912W5_NL_sm2+gif/151338W5_NL_sm.gif******

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    How about a one for one trade: New Orleans for Phoenix?

"We have deserts in our country too. But we don't live in them." -- Sam Kinison

(I'm just looking for a way to get the Seahawks back in the playoffs.)
    I have no love for Phoenix.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Direct Hit!

No sympathy from me. They built below sea level and they cheated their way to a Super Bowl win. Wipe them out.
    How about a one for one trade: New Orleans for Phoenix?

"We have deserts in our country too. But we don't live in them." -- Sam Kinison

(I'm just looking for a way to get the Seahawks back in the playoffs.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X