Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Hurricane Sandy: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...8962_blog.html

Emergency! Emergency! Everybody to get from street!
    Not surprising after those Italian scientists were sued recently. Every hurricane will now be predicted to be a Katrina.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

More on Sandy from the U of Wash. http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2012/1...ndfall-on.html
    Yes, the url says francis, but they mean Sandy

Leave a comment:

• Chickens@NU
    replied
    Is 956 millibars bad?
    Yeah. That's as strong as a Cat 3 hurricane.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Is 956 millibars bad?

Leave a comment:

• Chickens@NU
    replied
    Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    Sandy is exploding right now. Could be up to Cat 2 shortly. The Hunters are going through it now. Where it goes from here in the coming days, who knows GFS has it back out to see, while most every other model has it from Jersey to Maine.
    GFS is showing a Maine strike Tuesday night and the ECMWF is showing a Delaware strike Monday. We'll know more tomorrow afternoon when they have more data from the front that is expected to absorb it ...

Leave a comment:

• NMU8405
    replied

Sandy is exploding right now. Could be up to Cat 2 shortly. The Hunters are going through it now. Where it goes from here in the coming days, who knows GFS has it back out to see, while most every other model has it from Jersey to Maine.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

This one is making me nervous here in NJ. I do not need another Irene(or worse). This one is tough to call. The more alarmist of the meteorologists are talking doom and gloom already for monday. The various computer models are in some agreement but with lots of variability. We should have a much better idea in another 24 hours-after in has passed Jamaica an dperhaps Cuba. Fingers crossed here though.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

I could have sworn I saw predictions that it will stay out at sea. Being cruise enthusiests- I read how many are hoping that it gets by Miami quickly...

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
    Nadine never degenerated into a tropical depression, it lost it's tropical characteristics, meaning it transitioned into a cold core storm instead of a warm core storm. by definition that means that the center of the storm is warmer than the outer bands in tropical systems and is opposite in all other systems. Once the storm went back over warmer waters, it regained its tropical characteristics and was given back its name. The reason it kept it's name was because it never lost its center of circulation.
    Thanks. I had misinterpreted that. As Chuck Berry sang: Nadine (Is That You?).
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 09-28-2012, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chickens@NU
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Not much has happened this month although September is normally the peak of the hurricane season.

Nadine has become a hurricane again after degenerating into a tropical depression for a while, but it is mainly disturbing the fish. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4...daynl#contents
    Nadine never degenerated into a tropical depression, it lost it's tropical characteristics, meaning it transitioned into a cold core storm instead of a warm core storm. by definition that means that the center of the storm is warmer than the outer bands in tropical systems and is opposite in all other systems. Once the storm went back over warmer waters, it regained its tropical characteristics and was given back its name. The reason it kept it's name was because it never lost its center of circulation.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Not much has happened this month although September is normally the peak of the hurricane season.

Nadine has become a hurricane again after degenerating into a tropical depression for a while, but it is mainly disturbing the fish. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4...daynl#contents

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Looking at the current projected tracks for Leslie and Michael
    *****http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT12/refresh/AL1212W5_NL_sm2+gif/030145W5_NL_sm.gif******
    *****http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT13/refresh/AL1312W5_NL_sm2+gif/023557W5_NL_sm.gif******

These will make trans atlantic flying interesting, won't it??

Leave a comment:

• Almington
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Uh, New Orleans is the subject of all the hate. That's not New Orleans, nor it is below ground.

So your point is???

Besides, my real beef is that so many of you were wishing that people homes would get lost. Forgive me, but that's just pathetic. Hoping that people's lives get disrupted that badly, possibly being killed, how you can ever claim to have some kind of moral high gound on any subject what so ever is beyond me.

If you sleep more soundly hoping that people lives get ruined, well, you need a lot of help, IMHO.
    I don't want anyone's house destroyed, I just don't want to have my tax money pay for other peoples repeated decisions to build in river flood plains or in coastal zones that are highly susceptible to storm surge (or in the case of New Orleans, both).

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied
    Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Again, you are missing my points. Most important was the major wish that New Orleans would be wiped off the map just as they were getting hit. To wish that kind of ill will against fellow Americans is incredibly pathetic in my book, since your problem with that is a few dollars of your taxes. So to want that kind of crap for your money- that takes all moral high ground that you possibly could have totally off the table.

Now to be pretty pleased that someone has lost her home for the 5th time. For your money. Seriously? Yes, perhaps we should look at it and not rebuild in the same area. But so many seem to take a lot of joy in this person's suffering. What did she do to you? Your pathetic little dollars for rebuilding that important?

I leave the last thing- I thought some of you were pro work. This is work.
    Ah, but I'm failing to see where I said I was happy to see it happen. I just don't feel sorry for that happening.

I just bought a house in Tampa, FL. I know that due to this, I have taken on a risk that a hurricane could affect me directly. I'm not going to expect people to feel sorry for me if a hurricane does make landfall near my house. Why? I made the decision to take that risk, I'll face the consequences if need be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X