Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
    Yes.
    I'm supposed to fly back from FLA on Nov 1st
    Orlando baltimore Portland, not sounding that likely?
    In orlando now cloudy and quite windy

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I'm flying on Nov 1. Will I be able to????
    As long as your arms don't get too tired....

Leave a comment:

• Chickens@NU
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Yes.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Would think so. Depends on the infrastucture survival rate.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

Whatever this storm decids to do-it certainly does not look like this will happen at any rapid pace. This is a huge system and will not be a compact little quick hitter. I haven't had a lot of experience with these things although I did get through Andrew in Kendall Lakes Miami (1992) and then Charley in Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda(2004) and then again Irene here in NJ last year. Andrew and Charley were extremely potent compact little monsters but they did their damage over a short period of time. This one looks to be a slow moving heavily rain loaded system that will have to be dealt with for days. Here's just hoping everyone is safe.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Hope everything works out for all of you on the eastern seaboard. This doesn't look like much fun.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Latest Euro has a direct hit on the lower DelMarVa and then right over DC. I'm thinking of renting a generator for Sunday -- if I can find one.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Looking like a wet Marine Corps Marathon in DC on Sunday, no matter how you slice it... My parents will be running it for the 19th year in a row (20th in 21 years). My mom even completed it in 1995, 4 weeks after her second masectomy - a very special weekend for our family!

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Pretty much what i am seeing being forecasted. The question now is whether this one just rakes along the east coast doing horrific damage along the way over an extended stretch of coastline-or whether (and where) it might make a quick left turn westward and make landfall to do its damage in a more concise but still substantial manner. I am not sure that I have ever seen something behave like that so late in the hurricane season but there is always a first time for everything.
    Perhaps it is a sign from the Deity, except She sent it a week early (subtle Election Day humor).

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    This one won't be a snowstorm though. This one has the potential to be one of the strongest Nor'easters ever to hit the East Coast. There are a few models that not only are predicting the storm to have the lowest pressure ever recorded in the US outside of a hurricane, but some also have tracks that would literally be "worst-case scenarios" for some of the big cities. It's still 4-5 days away, and nothing is set in stone, but the potential is there for a truly historic storm.
    Pretty much what i am seeing being forecasted. The question now is whether this one just rakes along the east coast doing horrific damage along the way over an extended stretch of coastline-or whether (and where) it might make a quick left turn westward and make landfall to do its damage in a more concise but still substantial manner. I am not sure that I have ever seen something behave like that so late in the hurricane season but there is always a first time for everything.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    When I was chasing storms as News Director of a certain weather company that I no longer mention I was sent to cover what they were calling a "superstorm" that was expected to slam the Eastern Seaboard much as Sandy is. There was the potential for major snow because of a cold front heading east, major destruction, etc, etc, etc.

Some superstorm....we drove down to Richmond and then up I-95 through the Hudson Valley and into the Catskills, where we finally spotted a dusting of snow on the tops of the mountains.

I'm just sayin'
    This one won't be a snowstorm though. This one has the potential to be one of the strongest Nor'easters ever to hit the East Coast. There are a few models that not only are predicting the storm to have the lowest pressure ever recorded in the US outside of a hurricane, but some also have tracks that would literally be "worst-case scenarios" for some of the big cities. It's still 4-5 days away, and nothing is set in stone, but the potential is there for a truly historic storm.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
    Maybe not another Katrina but this is shaping up to be a worse storm than last years Halloween Nor'easter....
    When I was chasing storms as News Director of a certain weather company that I no longer mention I was sent to cover what they were calling a "superstorm" that was expected to slam the Eastern Seaboard much as Sandy is. There was the potential for major snow because of a cold front heading east, major destruction, etc, etc, etc.

Some superstorm....we drove down to Richmond and then up I-95 through the Hudson Valley and into the Catskills, where we finally spotted a dusting of snow on the tops of the mountains.

I'm just sayin'

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Not surprising after those Italian scientists were sued recently. Every hurricane will now be predicted to be a Katrina.
    Italy's justice system is the worst in the first world. Them and England are the reasons the US government finally passed a law saying if you can't prove slander/libel in a US court, you can't collect from US citizens.

Leave a comment:

• Chickens@NU
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Not surprising after those Italian scientists were sued recently. Every hurricane will now be predicted to be a Katrina.
    Maybe not another Katrina but this is shaping up to be a worse storm than last years Halloween Nor'easter....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X