Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlagDUDE08
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Just reporting in while we still have power here in NJ. It has been raining and very windy for the past 12 hours now but we are just in the fringes of this thing still. Supposed to go really downhill here in the next 12-18 hours. Most predictions have turned this sucker a bit further south of us which may mean at least less rainfall for us (they had predicted 8-12 inches earlier and now 4-8) but the eventual wind speed we get hit with will still be hurricane force. Our concern here is power loss-if it goes out I am sure it will not be remedied for some time. Our local police chief declared an emergency at 11PM lat evening and no vehicles can travel the roads except for emergency vehicles. Probably a very good move but i thought that a bit early to make that call. Having been through Andrew in 1992 and Charley in 2004, we are as prepared as we can be.
    I'm surprised you and Jenny didn't shoot up to the 'dacks.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    I've read the last time this type of thing happened on the east coast had a lot to do with that blizzard. Probably won't happen this year though...at least here.

I cleaned up that Halloween.
    When your family comes from Western NY, you always design Halloween costumes so they can fit around snowsuits.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Last I saw the track in NYS is Bingo -> 'Cuse -> Watertown -> Montreal
    Buffalo it is, then.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Doc

What county are you in? Mom is in assisted living in the north of Bergen County.

Wherever it is, stay safe, dry, and with power.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

Just reporting in while we still have power here in NJ. It has been raining and very windy for the past 12 hours now but we are just in the fringes of this thing still. Supposed to go really downhill here in the next 12-18 hours. Most predictions have turned this sucker a bit further south of us which may mean at least less rainfall for us (they had predicted 8-12 inches earlier and now 4-8) but the eventual wind speed we get hit with will still be hurricane force. Our concern here is power loss-if it goes out I am sure it will not be remedied for some time. Our local police chief declared an emergency at 11PM lat evening and no vehicles can travel the roads except for emergency vehicles. Probably a very good move but i thought that a bit early to make that call. Having been through Andrew in 1992 and Charley in 2004, we are as prepared as we can be.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Two words that conjure a lot of memories for Minnesotans: Halloween Blizzard.

That snowfall map reminds me of it. A lot.
    Drove to work in the (somewhat) aftermath of that storm. 4 cyl Corsica. Yup. It was fun as hell since I was the only car on the road.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    I've read the last time this type of thing happened on the east coast had a lot to do with that blizzard. Probably won't happen this year though...at least here.

I do remember hearing something like that as well

Although, this year (as opposed to the last two years) our boss has emphasized the use of VPN as opposed to driving into work. So my last winter in the Mustang should be somewhat easier to deal with.

Best boss ever.

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Somebody say snow?
    that's inches

*****https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/644110_485519468147311_577469977_n.jpg******
    The more of the Potomac's basin that gets snow, the less flooding we will get when the runoff reaches DC in a few days.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Local futurecast seems to indicate an off-chance of a brief change over in DC. I'm on the look for four horsemen... Or four loko... One or the other

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Somebody say snow?
    that's inches

*****https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/644110_485519468147311_577469977_n.jpg******

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

TWC better hope this is The Perfect Storm, Part II, or else they've majorly overhyped it.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

"one of the biggest storms in our lifetimes!!"

oh twc, have you no shame

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    Not exactly champagne powder.
    Sloppy 2nd's doesn't even begin to describe the snow that they are talking about.... That stuff is going to be stupid heavy.... Basically falling slush.... I'm curious to see what the final water equivalents are...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X