Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joecct
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Anyone watching the weather channel and see the substation blow in the background???

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Hudson River has just overflowed the bulkhead in Downtown Manhattan at Battery Park.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    You sure about that?

I yield to your greatness

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    Tweet of the day!

You sure about that?

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

My son just got home from work. Took him a half hour to make a 5 minute drive. He said trees are down all over the place and our little 2 to 3 block area is the only one with power. Keeping my fingers crossed. My next door neighbor just had his twin oaks come down in the front yard. They missed his house and cars. He moved his cars about an hour before the trees fell which would have crushed both of them.

Leave a comment:

• Old Pio
    replied

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    Still have power but the lights have been flickering. Lots of wind and rain. Wind gusts have been 60+ mph so far and will probably go higher in the next few hours. Worst rain is to the south along the Jersey Shore. The big problem is going to be the storm surge in the next 2 to 4 hours. Essentially the entire south shore of Long Island will be under water. For those of you familiar with LI, that is the entire area south of Merrick Rd./Montauk Highway (Rt. 27A). Lots of small branches are down in my yard. Luckily most of the leaves have been blown off of the trees so they aren't acting like sails like they would if this was August or September. Just under 200,000 people on LI are without power right now. We still have many hours of high winds so that number could rise dramatically. A crane has collapsed on W 57th Street in NYC. It is at the 90th floor of a new condo building and hanging up above Carnegie Hall. If that falls there will be significant damage to the surrounding buildings. W. 57th is closed between 6th & 7th Avenues in Midtown. I just hope we don't lose power.
    Thanks for that clear, concise report. Here's hoping you and all of my USCHO colleagues suffer minimal inconvenience and damage. You've correctly identified storm surge as the principal cause of death from hurricanes (90% or more). These days I think most people have given up on having "hurricane parties" near the shore.

In the great Galveston hurricane, that took thousands of lives, I remember reading about the local weather bureau official taking refuge in his house with several other people. Apropos of storm surge, he told of looking out his window and seeing a railroad locomotive heading for his house!

So good luck to all. Via con Dios.

Leave a comment:

• MountieBoyOz
    replied

I echo Steve's comments. Stay safe, people.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    winds up to 33 / gusts to 42. Barometer around 29 and falling.

Still have power -- but if I get through the MNF game, I will be shocked.
    Strengthening here in the State College area. Power just went out for a few seconds, but where we are it's likely to go out again and perhaps for some time.

Good luck to all of us in the path of this beastie

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Does Mayor Bloomberg sound like Gary Bettman?

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Bloomberg: "If we lose an emergency responder because of someone's idiocy or irresponsibility, that would be a true tragedy."

Best part of emergencies, the rare occasion where politicians openly call people stupid.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

Still have power but the lights have been flickering. Lots of wind and rain. Wind gusts have been 60+ mph so far and will probably go higher in the next few hours. Worst rain is to the south along the Jersey Shore. The big problem is going to be the storm surge in the next 2 to 4 hours. Essentially the entire south shore of Long Island will be under water. For those of you familiar with LI, that is the entire area south of Merrick Rd./Montauk Highway (Rt. 27A). Lots of small branches are down in my yard. Luckily most of the leaves have been blown off of the trees so they aren't acting like sails like they would if this was August or September. Just under 200,000 people on LI are without power right now. We still have many hours of high winds so that number could rise dramatically. A crane has collapsed on W 57th Street in NYC. It is at the 90th floor of a new condo building and hanging up above Carnegie Hall. If that falls there will be significant damage to the surrounding buildings. W. 57th is closed between 6th & 7th Avenues in Midtown. I just hope we don't lose power.

Leave a comment:

• huskyfan
    replied

jim cantore in a dry suit isnt working for you?

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

I think this would be loads more exciting if Regis Philbin were providing commentary.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

looks like landfall over Cape May and then Delaware Bay and on top of Harve de Grace.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

All morning and early afternoon, the winds were howling in from the northeast, as is to be expected. In the last hour or so, they've shifted to be coming from due east. That corresponds to the storm changing path off the coast of NJ to move inland. Kind of amazing to be able to notice the correspondence.

uh, oh, lights are flickering...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X