Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigblue_dl
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I want to delete the previous post, but for some reason I can't.
    Why? It is an excellent post.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

I want to delete the previous post, but for some reason I can't.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    One half billion people without power in NY, NJ & CT.
    Half billion? Thee must be a lot of illegal aliens there now.

Leave a comment:

• Chickens@NU
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    I think you are a few orders of magnitude off. Half billion would be all of the US, Canada, and much of Mexico combined. 50M would be all of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Conneticut, Deleware, and most of Virginia, combined. 5M would be more realistic, and that would be 1/4 of the entire state of New York.

I bet they mean half a million customers.

I know the damage is bad, but lets not over state it that bad.
    The total amount from this storm at peak I saw was 7.5M w/o power...

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    I think you are a few orders of magnitude off. Half billion would be all of the US, Canada, and much of Mexico combined. 50M would be all of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Conneticut, Deleware, and most of Virginia, combined. 5M would be more realistic, and that would be 1/4 of the entire state of New York.

Don't you know how news people work? They always extrapolate. Someone who has about 200 people on average in a week read their twitter feed is a blogger with over 10,000 viewers.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

One half billion people without power in NY, NJ & CT.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

The Pittsburgh area seems to have made it through the storm pretty clean. I believe there was some flooding in the eastern townships and some tree branches down. But we avoided the snow to the south of us and the major storm damage to the east of us.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

One half billion people without power in NY, NJ & CT. I am one of the lucky ones who never lost power although it flickered many times. Trees are down all over the place. There is no public transportation (LIRR, Metro-North, NJ Transit and NYC subway & buses) in the NY metro area. Tunnels are flooded and all of the bridges are still closed. All of the roads in the county I live in (Nassau) are closed. High tides last night were 9 feet above normal high tide. The entire south shore of Long Island from Merrick Rd/Montauk Highway (RT 27A) was flooded at last night's high tide. There are 50 houses in Breezy Point, Queens that are currently on fire. This storm now reaches from Illinois to the East Coast.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Does the 1 line go all the way down to the Ferry?
    Yes it does. Several other lines are within a few blocks of there also.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

From numerous people I know on LI, the south shore has been getting hammered. Lots of houses with 9 feet of water near the shore.

At my Alma mater near LI sound, our ship pier has taken a beating at low tide, they have been having lines, chains and wires breaking, but the ship is still doing alright. Haven't heard what the latest high tide has done for damage, but I imagine it has gotten a little worse there.

Guess we'll now know what happens when a hurricane makes a hit near NYC. Hope all of you guys in CT, NY metro and NJ especially stay safe, along with the others in the path.

Leave a comment:

• Farce Poobah
    replied

My favorite graphics ... Wind Map:
    http://hint.fm/wind/

Leave a comment:

• MountieBoyOz
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I see the headline "3 Dead as Sandy Ravages Through New Jersey" and it took me three times not to read it as "3 Dead as Randy Savage Through New Jersey."
    Since you asked.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I see the headline "3 Dead as Sandy Ravages Through New Jersey" and it took me three times not to read it as "3 Dead as Randy Savage Through New Jersey."

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Pretty much all of Manhattan south of 39th Street is without power right now both due to planned turn-offs and flooded substations. That is 250,000 customers. The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel now known as the Hugh Carey Tunnel has 11.5 feet of water in it.
    Does the 1 line go all the way down to the Ferry?

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

Pretty much all of Manhattan south of 39th Street is without power right now both due to planned turn-offs and flooded substations. That is 250,000 customers. The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel now known as the Hugh Carey Tunnel has 11.5 feet of water in it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X