Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

From the Facebook page of our friend Paul Daley, Tom's River Emergency Management Coordinator:

Paul L Daley:
    All NJ Emergency Services rocks! We have never had an event like this. Not only the men and women on the streets but in communications. They had to endure countless hours of non-stop pleas for help. I can only speak for Toms River Communications. I brought my son in and I said just sit here and observe what these people are going through. I said you are watching the best at their best. Thank you TR Communications! The unsung heros
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      For a pretty weak storm-our highest gust was 65mph and we got less than an inch of rain-this thing was a monster PIA. Lost power Monday hours before Sandy hit. We had nothing-all electric based here. Perhaps the biggest problem was the loss of all traffic control (lights were out or down). NJ is a crowded place and most imbeciles insist on still going places no matter what. Things are slowly coming back-we got power and cable today after 6+ days. We were prepared but you do start to get a bit squirrelly afte 144 hours cooped up with no communication. Thankfully we have a landline phone and this episode taught me to never give that up. It was the only thing working. I have been through far worse storms in the past-Andrew 1992 in Miami, Charlie 2004 in Port Charlotte, etc but the population density here just made things exponentially worse. The other problem is that now in 2012 most are just so much more dependent on technology to live their lives than we did in the past. Cell phones, computers, electronic banking, etc has made it so that the younger generations just do not know how to get anything done without these conveniences. Let's just hope we do not get a repeat of this-there is a predicted noreaster coming in 3 days.

Hmm...your experience sounds quite a bit like ours last year during Irene. We were right at the center of landfall. Naturally Irene's much stronger winds were more of a problem here where there are so many trees, but the biggest problem, then and with Sandy too, was the storm surge. During Irene's worst, there was a bright flash of light, sustained for several seconds, at the exact same moment that we lost power. It turns out that our electrical generator substation, located right next to a bend in the local river, was flooded out, and it took them a real long time to repair. We were without power for over 8 days.

This time around, the storm surge was just as high, but they took the substation off-line ahead of time as a precautionary measure, and they were able to restore power after "only" 3 days.

So glad to hear that, except for men's hockey scores, you are both safe and (now) warm and dry!
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Now down to about 1000 people without power here in Allentown area.

Unfortunately, I've heard of a couple instances of carbon monoxide poisoning fatalaties caused by running generators indoors.
        Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post

Unfortunately, I've heard of a couple instances of carbon monoxide poisoning fatalaties caused by running generators indoors.
          Why are people running generators indoors?
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            They like that sweet, sweet smell of diesel exhaust. It's a nice complement to the paste they eat...
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              They like that sweet, sweet smell of diesel exhaust. It's a nice complement to the paste they eat...
              I wouldn't think they'd have diesel generators, but gasoline exhaust can be almost as sweet!

Stupid, stupid people.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

For the same reason some of 'em burn charcoal indoors.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post

Why wouldn't these people crack some windows and run an exhaust hose from the generator to the window? It should really be rule #1 in survival - don't kill yourself.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

to prevent theft??? though you'd think a good chain would be a much better solution....

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Thankfully we have a landline phone and this episode taught me to never give that up. It was the only thing working.
                      Our technology consultant commented in a meeting that landline phones have to be designed for 100% utilization capacity. Cell systems are designed for no more that 25% capacity. So when something really bad happens, everyone tries to call at once on their cell and everything goes down and no one gets through.

Comment

Still no power for me on Long Island. Made it to work on the train the past 2 days. 51 degrees in the house this morning with 30s outside. Bracing for tomorrow's Nor'Easter which is supposed to bring 50 to 60 mph winds, rain and more coastal flooding.
                        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                          Still no power for me on Long Island. Made it to work on the train the past 2 days. 51 degrees in the house this morning with 30s outside. Bracing for tomorrow's Nor'Easter which is supposed to bring 50 to 60 mph winds, rain and more coastal flooding.
                          Sorry to hear that. My fiancee's mom in Merrick still doesn't have hers but her sister in North Merrick got hers back over the weekend. LIPA is not endearing itself to its customers over this past week.
                          Cornell University Men's Hockey
                          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                            Sorry to hear that. My fiancee's mom in Merrick still doesn't have hers but her sister in North Merrick got hers back over the weekend. LIPA is not endearing itself to its customers over this past week.
                            And they got rid of LILCO because???
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                              I posted this tidbit over on All Things DU

LIPA = FAIL

Everyday I have been passing a school that has had out of town utility trucks in it. I said to my wife those trucks haven't moved. My son's restaurant is not far from there and someone went down and asked them what was going on. They are crews from Michigan and have been waiting for days for LIPA to assign them some work. They have been here for at least 4 to 5 days now and have done nothing. Pardon the French but !@#$ LIPA. I called my State Senator and let his office know. We will see if anything happens.
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Thick, wet, heavy snow falling in Manhattan circa 11:30 AM Wednesday. I sure hope it doesn't accumulate on tree branches!

Comment

Working...
                                X