Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Why? It is an excellent post.
    Just because several people have already commented that du78 didn't mean "billion".
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather...

Studying all the Potomac tributary flow rates and heights http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/cu...p_key=basin_cd to see if a wall of water will be heading to us. (The link is only the ones in Maryland.) Interestingly, some are already going down, whle others aren't.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Studying all the Potomac tributary flow rates and heights http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/cu...p_key=basin_cd to see if a wall of water will be heading to us. (The link is only the ones in Maryland.) Interestingly, some are already going down, whle others aren't.
        Susquehanna has a wall of water too. Wonder what all that fresh water will do to the Chesapeake Bay?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

What affect (if any) will there me on the river if it warms up quickly and the snow in WV & western MD melts?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Susquehanna has a wall of water too. Wonder what all that fresh water will do to the Chesapeake Bay?
            Chesapeake Bay, north of Annapolis is not salty. They call it brackish, but it is drinkable. My son lives in Essex and when I went out on his boat for the first time last year I noticed there wasn't a salt smell. Then I tasted it and it was, more or less, fresh.
            Originally posted by mookie1995
            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
              One half billion people without power in NY, NJ & CT. I am one of the lucky ones who never lost power although it flickered many times. Trees are down all over the place. There is no public transportation (LIRR, Metro-North, NJ Transit and NYC subway & buses) in the NY metro area. Tunnels are flooded and all of the bridges are still closed. All of the roads in the county I live in (Nassau) are closed. High tides last night were 9 feet above normal high tide. The entire south shore of Long Island from Merrick Rd/Montauk Highway (RT 27A) was flooded at last night's high tide. There are 50 houses in Breezy Point, Queens that are currently on fire. This storm now reaches from Illinois to the East Coast.
              Sounds like Merrick was a mess. My fiancee's mother lives well south of Merrick Road near the golf course; she weathered the storm with family in North Merrick but they're checking the house out now and I have to imagine there was awful flooding.
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Remember everyone, if you need recommendations on emergency standby power solutions, let me know. I'm here to help.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Remember everyone, if you need recommendations on emergency standby power solutions, let me know. I'm here to help.
                  Really? We're thinking about getting a standby system. What do you / I need to know?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Really? We're thinking about getting a standby system. What do you / I need to know?
                    Get a CAT system, right bbdl?

Comment

What kW? I am not as familiar with residential/consumer sized versions, but if you're looking for something commercial sized (>150kW), I know quite a bit. My general recommendation is to stick with natural gas powered. If you go with diesel you have fuel storage issues that are now compounded by the use of biofuels. You can't just let diesel sit, unused, waiting for an emergency, it will go bad. I also wouldn't get anything gasoline powered, for similar reasons. It also helps that natural gas is and will be a cheaper fuel to run on, though in most applications there is a premium price put on the nat gas sets.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

What kW? I am not as familiar with residential/consumer sized versions, but if you're looking for something commercial sized (>150kW), I know quite a bit. My general recommendation is to stick with natural gas powered. If you go with diesel you have fuel storage issues that are now compounded by the use of biofuels. You can't just let diesel sit, unused, waiting for an emergency, it will go bad. I also wouldn't get anything gasoline powered, for similar reasons. It also helps that natural gas is and will be a cheaper fuel to run on, though in most applications there is a premium price put on the nat gas sets.
                        I have 2 A/C systems in the house. One a larger one 3.5 tons (gas hot air) and a 2.0 ton (electric heat). 4 fridges (don't ask), and the usual household electronic stuff.

The goal is in the winter is to keep at least one of the heaters running and ditto in the summer with the A/C plus keep the rest of the house running at a minimal level. I THINK a 15Kw may work, but a 20Kw may be overkill.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have 2 A/C systems in the house. One a larger one 3.5 tons (gas hot air) and a 2.0 ton (electric heat). 4 fridges (don't ask), and the usual household electronic stuff.

The goal is in the winter is to keep at least one of the heaters running and ditto in the summer with the A/C plus keep the rest of the house running at a minimal level. I THINK a 15Kw may work, but a 20Kw may be overkill.
                          Yeah, you probably wouldn't need more than a 15kW set. I would recommend working with a local electrical contractor, and see what they would have for you. You're going to want to put in a nice breaker/switch gear system that separates out your emergency essential power from your extras. They make pretty nice small emergency standby sets for homes that would probably work very well for what you need. I am pretty sure that my company exited that market a few years ago, but I would probably recommend Kohler, over some of the others, even though they are one of our competitors (though, if we exited the market, they really aren't in this case). Personally, I'd avoid Generac, we consider them to be pretty much junk. I'm not sure who else plays in that very low kW node market for home standby power. It is possible that we do, in that case, buy an Onan/Cummins genset. And for the CAT comment earlier, CAT has zero interest in playing in markets with engine this small.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

David Stern just said that Katrina hit NYC last night. Fail!
                            Twitter: DanMountSports
                            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

My hometown was basically
                              destroyed http://www.hurricanesandynews.com/bl...-rockaway/660/
                              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

The Potomac in DC is nearing flood stage http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv...20,00062,00054. (See the gage height graph.)
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X